What's new

Is Fatip's quality still hit or miss?

Thinking about getting another fatip. The only problem is in the past I have owned a piccolo oc and a grande gentle, both had horrible blade alignment issues. Is this still a common problem?

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
I bought a Fatip less than a year ago and the blade alignment, fit, and finish are atrocious.

I've been happy with four different Fatip models (including one Schone, made by Fatip). I think the blade alignment thing is totally exaggerated on shaving forums. It is not much different from a Gillette Old Type, for instance, or an older Merkur.

The way I load the blade is with the cap upside down. Drop the blade on the pins, then drop the base plate on, then screw on the handle. The blade self-centers on the pins and you don't have to force anything. Works well for me, anyway.

The finish is not perfect, there are some tiny marks, etc. But my chrome and nickel plated Fatips have not had any real issues with plating.

The main positive points are the shave quality, all brass construction, and the reasonable price.

I have a number of Fatip razors and I only occasionally have to finesse the alignment. The slants are are pretty much always spot on.

When screwing together the topcap, blade and baseplate I gently push one end of the topcap towards the opposite end of the baseplate. This centres the topcap, blade and baseplate nicely.

The blade end tab will stick out from underneath the topcap a little bit further on one end compared to the other end.

Last edited:
I need to check the alignment and exposure when assembling my piccolo every time.

But I don’t mind, fatip is known for that. Of course I’d want it ready with no fiddling, but it’s a great shaver and I accept that “inconvenience”.

I’ve got a Piccolo that has blade alignment issues but it shaves great and you can’t beat the price. I haven’t tried the suggestions by @NorthernSoul or @Trollky
but I will next time I use the Piccolo and hopefully it will solve the problem.

I also just ordered a Lo Storto (slant) last night and I’m hoping it’s better but not worried if it isn’t.

The Fatips have a unique design that shaves amazing. It’s a little surprising that no one has come out with something similar but with tighter tolerances.

I’ve got a Piccolo that has blade alignment issues but it shaves great and you can’t beat the price. I haven’t tried the suggestions by @NorthernSoul or @Trollky

I also just ordered a Lo Storto (slant) last night and I’m hoping it’s better but not worried if it isn’t.

The Fatips have a unique design that shaves amazing. It’s a little surprising that no one has come out with something similar but with tighter tolerances.

Casting brass and plating it is not as precise as CNC machining a part in stainless steel. A small amount of tolerance is needed to prevent some blades from binding on the posts as they are bent through a curve. Many three-hole razor designs are similarly fairly loose.

Gillette actually solved this problem with designs such as the Tech. The blade is held at all four corners so it can't go crooked or off-center. I don't know why other makers don't use a similar design.

The geometry is too complicated on these helical slants to worry about blade alignment, so I just load and go with the Lo Storto. Actually, I have no ability to align my blade as the pins are installed in such a way that I have to force the blade down and the top cap only fits in one specific orientation. Blade alignment is overrated :)

I bought one last year and still some issue with alignment. Would not buy another even though it's cheap.

Maybe I am wrong in my thinking but reading about quality control problems posted in this thread. Why take a chance on getting problem razor?🤯

Put the blade in, look at it. Adjust it if needed. Go. I bought 4 Lo Stortos in the last year. Two for me and two as gifts. No problems. I think these razors are designed to be used as I described. Great shave, and I whip that thing around my head and face, blind, in a hurry, off hand and backwards.

Maybe I am wrong in my thinking but reading about quality control problems posted in this thread. Why take a chance on getting problem razor?🤯

It’s not so much quality control problems. The loose tolerances are part of the design. It’s also not a problem that is insurmountable; you just need to adjust the blade manually before tightening the handle. They are superb shavers at a great price and have many fans.

I have a Retro and a Lo Storto that I've bought in the last few months. No alignment issues with the slant at all. The regular OC, I occasionally have to fiddle with the blade, some brands more than others, it seems, but I usually don't pay much attention unless it feels different from one side to the other. To be honest I sometimes have to fiddle with my Old Type, too, so it's not just a Fatip problem. Either way it's 30 seconds out of my day and I like the way it shaves.

The regular OC, I occasionally have to fiddle with the blade, some brands more than others, it seems, but I usually don't pay much attention unless it feels different from one side to the other.
+1
I think the whole "blade alignment" concern is hyped ... And it's not an issue particular to Fatip razors. Fiddle with it a bit if you don't like the looks. I like a bit of difference in blade exposure from one side to the other, gives me a choice of how much blade I want, 1st, 2nd, 3rd pass, a bit like an adjustable.

It’s not so much quality control problems. The loose tolerances are part of the design. It’s also not a problem that is insurmountable; you just need to adjust the blade manually before tightening the handle. They are superb shavers at a great price and have many fans.

Well at lease you make sense of the problems. Being Vintage only person I have not many problems.

My Fatip razors are spot on with blade alignment from reading all these horror stories about Fatip I must be a lucky one for having them all good to go. Sure they are a bit rough on the finish but it is made of brass and I love that. They shave like a dream.

I've had like 8 Fatip's and still have 3: I have a FOCS, OC and Ibrido!
The only one without bad alignment issues is the Ibrido. Which is weird since it's half SB & half OC.
I would have figured that it would have been worse than the others since it's a relatively new product for them.
All the other ones have major alignment issues and have been bought in the last couple of years.
The finish is good on all of them though, so maybe that's improved?
Until Fatip decides on increasing the diameter of the posts, they'll always have alignment issues.
The posts are smaller than the holes on the blade so the blade will always wiggle until fully tightened.
I guess YMMV!

Until Fatip decides on increasing the diameter of the posts, they'll always have alignment issues. The posts are smaller than the holes on the blade so the blade will always wiggle until fully tightened.
That's the same problem I have with a Merkur 34C I bought in 2022. It has poor blade alignment for the same reason (the posts are too narrow to give good blade alignment). Dropping the blade onto the top cap and lowering the handle down onto the blade doesn't fix it. The only real workaround is to "eyeball" the alignment when tightening the razor, which I find not to be acceptable. For this reason I don't currently recommend this razor. Perhaps newer production runs of this top cap are better; I don't know. I have a Fatip "open comb slant" (FOCS) and the blade alignment is much better than with the 34C.

Top Bottom