What's new

Is airflow important for pipe storage?

I have two ideas for making a pipe rack. I'm not sure if i will ACTUALLY go through with it, but it's a real possibility.

Idea one is attaching some cigar boxes together to form various size cubbies and whatnot with the cabinets style boxes and using the more shallow dress boxes as the 'rack' by attaching dowels to them and laying the pipes in them in a profile fashion.

Idea two is the one I like better, if I can find what I need. I want to retrofit a dart board cabinet (or maybe even a medicine cabinet, or similar, IF I see one that's not so... BATHROOMY!) IF I can find a used one most likely. Not sure I'd want to spend new money on it.

Also, randomly hitting thrift stores, etc, looking for anything that may work... ON TO MY QUESTION!

Idea two is where my main question resides. Will lack of airflow be detrimental?

Now, I realize you want a pipe to dry after use. I figure I would leave my pipe out in a stand or small standard rack while it dried then toss in cabinet. Do you guys think lack of airflow will effect the pipes? Like maybe allow scents/tastes or the smell of ash, etc to sink in more and make the pipes taste off?

I really don't have enough pipes to really worry about it at this point, lol, but I'd like to have 5-7-ish 'nice' ones eventually (currently have one nice Peterson, a cheap Crown, and an awesome meerschaum saxophone). But never hurts to think ahead.

Since you are not really sealing them in anything you will not have a problem. The serious collectors and smokers that I know modify gun cabinets for storage.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Check out some of the curio cabinets at Hobby Lobby or similar establishments. I bought a couple for my razors, should work well for pipe display/storage as well.

Top Bottom