What's new

Is a Shavette That Much Worse?

I've never used a true str8 before, only shavettes by Dovo and Magic, both of which I like.

I can adeptly with these and have experienced no problems, but members at another forum were telling me DE blades are too thin and so on for str8 shaving.

What does the shavette lack?

I find that they lack the 'feeling' of a straight, though im not sure just what that is. I think weight, balance and the vibrations of cutting hair etc make it not as responsive.

Why not give real straights a try?

Just don't feel like dealing with stropping and honing; I have thousands of DEs and the Magic shavette, which I prefer 100x to the Dovo, runs for under 10 bucks.

It works for me, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something monumental only a true straight can provide...

I must say I get an ENORMOUS amount of feedback with these faux-straights - feedback I don't get with DEs or carts. Gradual beard reduction in successive passes, or the razor will say stop - via a skip or a cut.

I must say I get an ENORMOUS amount of feedback with these faux-straights - feedback I don't get with DEs or carts. Gradual beard reduction in successive passes, or the razor will say stop - via a skip or a cut.

Do what does well for you.

A real straight will not have those same problems with the proper technique and hone yada yada. If you like the fake straight then stick with it. If you want a little something more, then go with the real deal. No one is going to criticize you here at B&B (unlike some other unmentioned forums), for enjoying your shave the way you like. Do what does well for you, and enjoy it.

stropping is actually pretty good - i wouldnt be surprised if you grew to enjoy it. same for honing, and if youre really disinterested in it, you can get a pasted strop and just send out your razors occasionally to a honemeister.

It doesent even have to be that expensive, just cruise the bst and you can pick up some bargains (I think new razors are to expensive too!)

possibly - a few sites have a honemeister you can find links for, but there are some members here (and at SRP) that do it for ~$20 I think.

But if you have a pasted strop then you needent goto the hone for ages (and if you get a finishing hone you can do it yourself pretty easily)

If it works for you stick with it, a good shave is a good shave no matter how you get it. The shavettes have reputation for being less forgiving and also of providing little feedback but perhaps that is due to not many people stick with them a long time on a consistent use basis, I think most either use them on occasion or get them as a step before going to regular straights.

If you want to get into regular straights stropping before a shave is a must, if you are looking for someone to hone or purchase a shave ready razor from check out either member Kenrup or GsSixgun both do honing, restorations and sell inexpensive shave ready razors, a honed razor should last you at least 3 months before it needs rehoned as mentioned a pasted paddle strop and say 2 razors and you can go maybe a year before needing to rehone

I've never used a true str8 before, only shavettes by Dovo and Magic, both of which I like.

I can adeptly with these and have experienced no problems, but members at another forum were telling me DE blades are too thin and so on for str8 shaving.

What does the shavette lack?

A machined blade like the ones used in a shavette won't really ever measure up to the well honed and stropped edge of a straight. That's not to say you can't get a good shave with them, you can.

If you're satisfied with what you're getting, there's no real reason to change it.
If you want the absolute best shave possible, you'll need to start learning the ropes with straights. The investment is in startup materials and time to learn how to do it all right. Str8 shaving demands a lot, and if you're not willing to put up with the process then its not for you.

I really enjoy my straights, but they aren't for everyone.

If it works for you stick with it, a good shave is a good shave no matter how you get it. The shavettes have reputation for being less forgiving and also of providing little feedback but perhaps that is due to not many people stick with them a long time on a consistent use basis, I think most either use them on occasion or get them as a step before going to regular straights.

If you want to get into regular straights stropping before a shave is a must, if you are looking for someone to hone or purchase a shave ready razor from check out either member Kenrup or GsSixgun both do honing, restorations and sell inexpensive shave ready razors, a honed razor should last you at least 3 months before it needs rehoned as mentioned a pasted paddle strop and say 2 razors and you can go maybe a year before needing to rehone

Huge +1 to the less forgiving part of a shavette. I shaved with straights for several months before trying a shavette. The shavette really tore me up the first time. However, if I concentrate on what I'm doing like I should, the shavette gives a great shave.

Top Bottom