What's new

Is a "mild" razor really what you need?

I appreciate this post. There are a lot of razors out there and I am thankful for options.
I am 1.5 years into using a DE razor. I learned on a 34c and Gamechanger.68 using mild blades.
I learned over time I prefer sharp blades and higher blade exposure. My current daily driver is a Lupo.95. Call me crazy, but I want to get a feather dx and a vector…
I will also say that I totally enjoy my more mild Gamechanger.84 with a Kai blade for auto pilot shaving. That is my weekend setup almost always.
When you go "autopilot" is that mirrorless/by feel or at the sink eyes open/watching but chill/relaxed?

When you go "autopilot" is that mirrorless/by feel or at the sink eyes open/watching but chill/relaxed?

Mostly chill and not thinking about the shave. That said, I have shaved with this setup with barely being able to see and having the floor moving a lot (at sea) with no issues.

Shaving at sea on a rocking boat sounds like quite the challenge! I bet you have some great stories
My son and I were out fishing about 100 NM offshore. Got into some big fish and came back with about 700 lbs.
I am a big fan of grooming dept soap and used that stuff daily to give me a fighting chance at not hacking my face off. It worked perfectly and the post shave helped a ton with the outside conditions.

Going by looking at it but not thinking about it, is "autopilot." Going by just feeling it and not looking at it, is "psychic." ;)
For me, a mild razor is great for an eyes-shut shave in the shower. With a good prep and scrub/face lather I can usually get a very nice shave with no mirror or anything. Steam/sweat/relax/shave but yeah sometimes I'll get a little weeper on the jawline if I'm in a rush ;)

I have a range of razors from mild to very aggressive. I use whatever I'm in the mood for on any given day (I shave daily). But my preference seems to be aggressive razors. I do not shave ATG, I shave 2 passes WTG/XTG. That means that an aggressive razor typically gives me better efficiency. And I go by the philosophy of less passes=less chance of irritation. Now, some mild razors can get that job done in 2 passes (WTG/XTG) without the aggressiveness but I think that most others won't.
List of the mild ones I have that do:
Chiseled Face Legacy (Titanium and aluminum versions are both equals)
Focus Tritok Concave
The Goodfellas' Smile Styletto aluminum
All my other mild razors are great but don't quite reach top efficiency in 2 passes.

I have a range of razors from mild to very aggressive. I use whatever I'm in the mood for on any given day (I shave daily). But my preference seems to be aggressive razors. I do not shave ATG, I shave 2 passes WTG/XTG. That means that an aggressive razor typically gives me better efficiency. And I go by the philosophy of less passes=less chance of irritation. Now, some mild razors can get that job done in 2 passes (WTG/XTG) without the aggressiveness but I think that most others won't.
Focus Tritok Concave
All my other mild razors are great but don't quite reach top efficiency in 2 passes.
I'll have to try that... I've gotten into the habit of 1 pass WTG and 1 ATG with a mild razor (if I'm in a hurry and it's only been a day or two I might just do one single light ATG pass which is mostly good enough for looks though not completely smooth to touch).

I'll have to try that... I've gotten into the habit of 1 pass WTG and 1 ATG with a mild razor (if I'm in a hurry and it's only been a day or two I might just do one single light ATG pass which is mostly good enough for looks though not completely smooth to touch).
I never do ATG! It irritates me!
I'm a daily night shaver so my goal is for my shave to last throughout the work day (to look presentable). As long as I run my hand down my face after the shave and it feels smooth in that direction, it's good!
So my routine with very efficient razors accomplishes that goal every time.

In my journey I’ve tried all sorts of razors. Mind you, I have sensitive, acne prone skin. Aggressive razors I’ve read work wonders on some people with sensitive skin, but for me, it’s NEVER worked out. I’d like to think my technique is just fine. But using an aggressive razor just left me feeling raw with tons of irritation.

A “mild” razor like a Leaf Twig, Tech, Popular with a sharp blade is perfectly fine for me. I’m actually interested in using a mild razor with a not so sharp blade just to see how it is. Sure, I’d like a smooth “DFS+” shave but my first goal is zero irritation.

I also can’t do ATG. Every single time I’ve tried to go ATG, it’s felt fine for a day but after that my face is irritated, itchy and I get bumps or pimples.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
For me, a mild razor is great for an eyes-shut shave in the shower. With a good prep and scrub/face lather I can usually get a very nice shave with no mirror or anything. Steam/sweat/relax/shave but yeah sometimes I'll get a little weeper on the jawline if I'm in a rush ;)

You won’t believe this, but the buddy who got me hooked up with wet shaving is a minimalist. He shaves in the shower with his one and only vintage Gillette Super Speed.

He shaves in the shower while his face is actually under running water. He uses no shave or bath soap or shave or hair cream, nothing. No brush, no mirror. Just shaves under running water. No aftershaves or balms or any type of conditioner after either, just dries off gets dressed and goes about his day. It’s the simplest shaving I have ever heard of? :)

OkieStubble

Focus Tritok Concave

It truly is a ymmv thing we all do here. My Gillette Super Blue is probably, the lightest DE 3- piece made. I don’t think they get thinner or lighter than this. I only ever do a 2- pass modified WTG face & neck, ATG neck XTG face, with all of my different razors and I get every bit as close with that DE as I do with a Shavette.

It’s very, very thin head allows it to not only be very agile and surgical when shaving, it’s very thin head and base plate, makes it a very sharp and aggressive shave when I apply just the right amount of educated pressure on the places of my face where I need it and how much pressure not to use in the places on my face where I don’t.

In my shaving journey, I have learned, pressure is my friend.

:)

IMG_1425.jpeg

IMG_1426.jpeg

We both have followed a very close path in our progression of the same razors. I had the 11' R41 and a Fat Tip Piccolo. I think they are what finally pushed me to straights, because I wanted that kind of close shave, but I also wanted more control of getting the blade closer against my whiskers and more control of keeping the blade farther away off of my skin for less irritation. I find I can do this best with a straight or shavette.

I used a Feather SS for quite a few years, but got tired of spending money on the Artist Club professional blades, so I got rid of the AC SS and several Injectors along the way, so I didn't have to obtain Injector blades anymore either. So I only use shavettes with DE half blades now. Much more economical & minimalist for me. I still have a GEM MMOC, but as my tastes have shifted to lighter razors, the lighter GEM Push Button is the only SE I use.

Like you, I love the close shaves I get from my Trac II while traveling. It pretty much stays in the dopp kit, even when traveling by automobile. :) Where do you get your Personna carts from when you want to re-supply? I have had a bunch of Wilkinson Sword Super II Plus carts over the years, but they discontinued long ago and I'm getting low. :)
I can’t remember. An online shop, razors direct or something like that. I picked up a 100 pack and still have 20 odd left. I wouldn’t even know where to shop them now.

Focus Tritok Concave
Whatever happens will the "Syntesi " ? Keeper, or I am guessing it not on the top of list. I am thinking on getting my dad the Syntesi. He is Italian, loves all things Italian ...especially shave hardware and software...Cheers BFX...

Whatever happens will the "Syntesi " ? Keeper, or I am guessing it not on the top of list. I am thinking on getting my dad the Syntesi. He is Italian, loves all things Italian ...especially shave hardware and software...Cheers BFX...
The Syntesi stays. It's a beautiful razor and shaves great. Not a mega efficient razor but enough to get me through one day. I really like it!

I

Island

I used to think I had sensitive skin and I used a feather razor. I shave daily but sometimes got irritation from having to go over areas several times. I also couldn't get a close shave without going against the grain.

I discovered I got less irritation from a more aggressive razor (blackbird ti), but had to be very careful especially against the grain if my beard hair was too long. The best compromise for me if I am a bit short on time is to use a medium razor (timeless stainless sb .95) and use the blackbird for smoothing a few areas. This required two razors but causes the least irritation for me and it is quick.

I agree. I don't personally understand many others logic on aggressive and mild razors. If an "supposedly" 'aggressive razor' is really heavy and has a wide blade gap that one must use 'negative pressure' (holding back on the weight) to keep it from taking off the upper surface layer of their epidermis?

What's the difference between this and using a "supposedly" 'mild razor' with a small gap and lightweight and just learning how to use pressure and get the exact same amount of aggressiveness and closeness? I can peel the skin off an apple with any mild razor I have, just by using pressure? :)

The only difference between them I logically see? Is one can choose an overly heavy razor with wide blade gap and let the weight and gap shave them while they try controlling the weight and aggressiveness of the gap by 'negative pressure'; versus using a lightweight razor with a small gap and instead of trying to control the weight of a heavy razor, just learning how, when and why and where of using the right amount of 'positive pressure.' :)
This. All day.

There was a frequent poster on these forums many years ago who advocated for using the mildest razor you could find, then deliberately using an angle so shallow it wouldn't cut hair at all, and then deliberately adding pressure until it cut at that angle.

He swore it gave him close shaves without any irritation at all, even though it flies in tu face of the traditional 'no pressure' advice.

Using heavy razors applies its own pressure. Pressure isnt necessarily bad; it depends on the blade exposure, the blade gap, and the angle at which the shaver is holding the razor.

I have been using open blade razors for well over 95% of my shaves for several years. I agree with an earlier poster that this experience allows one to become a much better DE shaver. I can get a good, comfortable shave out of any DE, I just alter my technique to match what the razor favors.

OkieStubble

This. All day.

There was a frequent poster on these forums many years ago who advocated for using the mildest razor you could find, then deliberately using an angle so shallow it wouldn't cut hair at all, and then deliberately adding pressure until it cut at that angle.

He swore it gave him close shaves without any irritation at all, even though it flies in tu face of the traditional 'no pressure' advice.

Using heavy razors applies its own pressure. Pressure isnt necessarily bad; it depends on the blade exposure, the blade gap, and the angle at which the shaver is holding the razor.

I have been using open blade razors for well over 95% of my shaves for several years. I agree with an earlier poster that this experience allows one to become a much better DE shaver. I can get a good, comfortable shave out of any DE, I just alter my technique to match what the razor favors.

Great post! I think I learned from reading that same guys posts concerning mild razors many years ago! :)

It’s why I sought out a DE who’s head and base plate design, would be so very thin that I could totally control every aspect of the blade’s angle and contact against my face; and give me the same sense or feeling of control and closeness I get when using a Shavette.

After much research, I finally found it in the Chinese Gillette Super Blue. While it only cost me the exorbitant princely sum of $4; it is by far, the most priceless and valuable DE Razor I have ever owned and it is my best and favorite DE to shave with.

Un replaceable in my mind. And I have owned many a DE razor over the years.

Top Bottom