What's new

Is a "mild" razor really what you need?

I've owned and used a wide variety of razors over the last 20+ years, from what many consider to be mild to very aggressive razors. For a long time now, my focus has been to find the "mildest" razor that provides the closest shave with no irritation. I continue look for mild razors to add to the den. However, my purchases are seldom nowadays. More of my mild razor/blade combinations are items no longer in production while some are currently available.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Definitely a mild razor for me. I only want to shave, not plane my face smooth.

The razor I learned with, is most likely the mildest razor I have ever used. The black plastic Wilkinson Sword. In time I could get a perfectly stubble free shave with it. It did involve same fancy tricks and jiggery pokery mid shave, but I got the results I wanted. I'd actually rather use a half bladed Dovo shavette than an aggressive double edged razor, and I'm not a fan of straight format shaves. My current daily razor is a Game Changer 68, and before that it was an Edwin Jagger.

I'd rather do thirty seconds touch up work if needed, than a few minutes patch up work. I have also never owned a styptic pencil.

One of the great things about B&B is that we can have differing opinions and experiences and can learn from one another. We don't all have to agree on everything to get along or treat others with respect. As the old saying goes, "different strokes for different folks." Whichever kinds of razors you prefer, enjoy your shaves!

Very good thread. My experience from morning shave. For couple of weeks I tryed Tatara Masamune with different compinations of base plate and cup Masamune and Nodachi. Masamune was always autopilot shave but not close and needed more passes. Today 1st shave with full Nodachi and bang! Perfect shave. Of course needed more attention, no pressure but very easy smooth and close shave. One of best I ever had. After Lambda Ares V2 for me best razor. It looks more blade gap and especialy little positive exposure helped. Medium agressive very efficient and smooth razors looks like best for me.

Okie Stubble is right. Of course you use pressure. You can’t shave without pressure. Learning where and when and how hard to press is what learning technique is.
With good technique a good shave can be had with any razor (except a Weishi 9306, which doesn’t cut at all). Learn to use what you have.

As I don't have the heaviest beard in the world, although it's relatively fast-growing, the combination I've found that works best for me is a pretty sharp blade (Nacet, Perma-Sharp, Astra SP) in a mild-ish razor. I have a couple of relatively aggressive razors and although I can work with them, they don't produce the finest shaves for me.
Examples of mild razors for me: vintage Gillette Super Speeds, Rockwell 6C using the R3 or R4 plates.

Last edited:
I agree that it's up to the user to use the razor correctly.

For me, though, choice of razor makes a difference, as some razors are (again, for me) easier to get an efficient shave with than others. I am freely willing to concede that this is because my technique is lacking, and I am just fine with that.

I can use a mild razor. Take short strokes as there is no other choice and take barely any hair off while constantly clogging the razor, in the meantime, the shaving cream drying out and having to reapply/moisten it. If I want to make the shave take three times longer...this is what I can do.

Tried many different razors since joining B&B but always went back to my Gillette Slim or 109 and now preferably my Fatboy, can't seem to find a non-adjustable to match my Fatboy on 7 with blade gap and exposure, My Weber PH with a classic handle comes close.

I agree that it's up to the user to use the razor correctly.

For me, though, choice of razor makes a difference, as some razors are (again, for me) easier to get an efficient shave with than others. I am freely willing to concede that this is because my technique is lacking, and I am just fine with that.
Entirely fair. Aggressive razors don't work well for me but I'm a daily shaver and don't have a ton of facial hair, so I can probably use razors that don't work well for others with more facial hair, have thicker hair, or shave less frequently. My technique isn't the world's best either, and I've been working on it for quite some time now :)

I only use super mild razors where to me Henson mild is too aggressive. Tritok Flat is my daily. Very mild so I don't have to pay attention and I can push down as hard as I like. I can't stand these floating shaves with aggressive razors. 25 years of pushing carts not easy to reprogram

The only thing I know for sure is that my preferences never stand still. If I have discovered anything useful, it's probably that a sharp blade is more important for me than the mildness / aggression of the razor I am using.

Whilst it's fun to test all manner of blades and find good razor / blade combos, I generally find that sharper blades are most reliable, in that they are pretty much sure to work in any razor. As I move down the sharpness scale that becomes less of a certainty. If I had to guarantee good results and didn't enjoy experimenting I would just use a Feather for every shave (which is actually what I did for many years, until I got back into shaving forums and started falling down rabbit holes again).

I own razors from very mild to pretty aggressive and can get good shaves out of all of them with a sharp blade and the right technique for that particular razor.

In a mild razor, a sharp blade is most effective at maximising the whisker removing potential of the razor. In an aggressive razor, a sharp enough blade can mitigate the negative effects that sometimes result from high blade exposure / reveal like flex and chatter. So for me, whatever the razor, sharpness wins and is the most important part of the equation.

With that being said, the sensible choice would probably be to use a sharp blade and mildest razor you can get away with. That would provide acceptable shaves whilst simultaneously reducing the chances of unwanted irritation. But if I was sensible I wouldn't have a drawer full of razors - variety is the spice of life and some days I enjoy exercising my technique by picking a more aggressive and demanding razor. Horses for courses!

Top Bottom