What's new

Is a gatorade bottle good enough for disposing of safety razor blades (for someone with no kids)?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don’t think sanitation workers are sifting through trash with their hands. They pick up a garbage can full of trash and toss it in the back of a truck. The truck dumps it at the landfill. Big equipment compacts it down and covers it with dirt. No one is out there walking around thumbing through it. I think it’s extremely rare and unlikely that anyone is going to come in contact with any razor blades we throw in the trash.

Just think of all the stuff thrown out. Needles, broken glass, batteries, light bulbs - some with mercury, blood, poop, etc. The folks that deal with this stuff are as hands off as possible. They move this stuff and handle this stuff with machinery.

If you want to toss your razors in the trash willy nilly...go for it. If it makes you feel better putting them in a container...go for it. Any container is better than no container. But if you happen to toss one in the trash straight out of the razor don’t worry so much about it. The likelihood it will be handled by a human being is very very low.

I know this really doesn't pertain to this conversation BUT I just had to share. If you are ever remodeling an old home that has a built in medicine chest be sure to look closely at the interior of the chest. Back in the day they had a slot cut in them. This was there to insert used razor blades. Typically they just fell into the space between the studs behind the chest. I have run into more than one that had a pile of rusty razor blades inside the wall behind the chest.

Top Bottom