What's new

Introducing the Blackland Era - 100% stainless steel. 3D printed. $75

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I need to check the order status of mine. Can't wait to get a shave in with it. :001_smile

Era - OC/L4
I'm excited for you, Eric.... I hope you have brilliant shaves with it.... I hope your shipping time from Canada is less than mine just was.... or that you are a more patient person than I am. <eg>

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I'm excited for you, Eric.... I hope you have brilliant shaves with it.... I hope your shipping time from Canada is less than mine just was.... or that you are a more patient person than I am. <eg>
Thanks, my friend. Canada? Blackland is based in California, right?

I'll post a review on it soon.

Concerning being patient, I will say this...life has dealt me a few blows over the years that has taught me the benefits of patience. ;)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I'll post a review on it soon.

Concerning being patient, I will say this...life has dealt me a few blows over the years that has taught me the benefits of patience. ;)
I sit corrected.

Life has thrown me a few curves as well, but I am still lacking that patience thing.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@Blackland Razors and loyal ERA users,

For people that nigh-exclusively ride the cap, does the “level” of the baseplate matter? Would it be be a case of “you shave steeper than you think” or would they all be equal until an unavoidable urge to go neutral or steep occurs?

Asking for a fiend.

Hello "fiend"

I like mild/medium razors and recently got an Era with 3 base plates - 2 SB, 2 OC, 3 SB. I have been mostly riding the cap which, because the blade is not bent too much, means very shallow/holding the handle very high off my face. I'm not that many shaves in and I so far the 2 SB is too mild for me and the 3 SB does quite well. I need to experiment more, but that's what I am finding so far.

I too wonder about the question you ask. If one is really riding the cap it shouldn't matter if you have a solid bar, open comb, huge blade gap, etc., right? Of course you would have to be perfect at holding the right angle.

@Blackland Razors and loyal ERA users,

For people that nigh-exclusively ride the cap, does the “level” of the baseplate matter? Would it be be a case of “you shave steeper than you think” or would they all be equal until an unavoidable urge to go neutral or steep occurs?

Asking for a fiend.

Tough to do with the Era because there is limited blade reveal so the angle that you can do this in is really small. Higher levels give you more room for this.

Yep! We're now in San Diego.

Agreed. The Era has unseated the Blackbird as my favorite razor. Initially I thought the handle was too heavy, but in use it feels very well balanced. I also appreciate how the blade is clamped so close to the edge. Era 5SB reminds me of a slightly more aggressive Sabre in hand and face feel.

Same here. I had a slight issue (from the initial run) with the top cap not lining up correctly, which Shane took care of immediately. Since then I really have not reached for anything else. Level 5 gives me the same closeness as my Game Changer .84, and is still provides a more comfortable shave. Not a nick, and barely a weeper, which was my fault.
A great razor, backed by great customer service, at a great price.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Era - https://www.blacklandrazors.com/products/era isn’t showing options to buy or graphics balancing smoothness and efficiency. Other pages are showing Blackland goodies, though.

Here’s the Era page:
0E70CFE3-60A1-44BA-8448-E92CE66B4C51.png

Here’s the Vector page:
C20F1AE0-5422-4A3F-A3B7-5EC385F55C14.png

Last edited:
My Era was boxed up for a bit during a bathroom remodel, but I've been using it pretty much exclusively for the last week and a half and have been getting great shaves. I use the solid bar 5 plate, consistently easy shaves and I've found myself not even needing to do a third pass, just 2 and some slight touch-up is leaving me more than happy

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
My Era was boxed up for a bit during a bathroom remodel, but I've been using it pretty much exclusively for the last week and a half and have been getting great shaves. I use the solid bar 5 plate, consistently easy shaves and I've found myself not even needing to do a third pass, just 2 and some slight touch-up is leaving me more than happy
Glad to hear this. I love my Era OC/L4.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The ERA page looks fine to me now. And yeah, the Level 4 OC, 5 SB and 5 OC are the sweet spot for me. Great shaves from all of them.

Ok.., I’m in! Love the looks of the Era. Have been a vintage gillette Tech and super speed guy up until now.

Era straight bar with level 4 plate en route. Let’s see how these new modern whippersnappers compare to old school DEs! :) I’m looking forward to it.

I’ve fully adopted synthetic shave brushes… evolution is good!

Last edited:
It’s a great razor, and while I really like the tech and occasionally a super speed I think you’ll be happy with the Era level 4.

I’ve slowly began liking medium aggressive razors over the mild ones as long as there isn’t much blade feel like from the R41 which was horrid from me. Not from cuts or weepers but just uncomfortable. And recently acquiring some more modern high end razors allows me to get comfortable more aggressive shaves then I’m used to.

So far my favorites are the Game Changer 84p, ATT R1, EJ 3one6, and Era level 4 in that order. But I believe once I get a level 5 plate it’s going to move up a couple places because the level 4 isn’t quite as aggressive as I like. But it is super smooth and super efficient. It’s actually amazing how close it cuts with no blade feel so I can’t wait to try the 5 plates out when I find a deal on some.

Top Bottom