What's new

Interesting Thought On Blades

There's many threads here on "This blade is good........." and "These blades couldn't cut butter..............." etc. We all have our favourites, but I don't ever remember anyone preferring one type of blade in a certain razor, and another blade in a different one.

As an example, I love the Red Pack IPs in my Slant and HD, but despise them in my Aristocrat, in which I prefer Derbys.

In my 38C, nothing compared to Feathers but just can't use them in a Slant (maybe technique related).

Yet in my Futur, Merkur blades seem to work best by far.

Anyone else notice this??

I don't have as much DE shaving experience as some on this forum, but I'll tell you what I seem to have noticed. My blade sampler hasn't arrived yet, so my observations are from using store-brand DE blades, both Korean and Israeli. In my '69 Tech, both the Israeli and Korean blades seem to shave the same. But, in my "53 SuperSpeed, the Korean blades seem to shave smoother and give less irritation.

-Clarke

There's many threads here on "This blade is good........." and "These blades couldn't cut butter..............." etc. We all have our favourites, but I don't ever remember anyone preferring one type of blade in a certain razor, and another blade in a different one.

As an example, I love the Red Pack IPs in my Slant and HD, but despise them in my Aristocrat, in which I prefer Derbys.

In my 38C, nothing compared to Feathers but just can't use them in a Slant (maybe technique related).

Yet in my Futur, Merkur blades seem to work best by far.

Anyone else notice this??
Good grief, you must have been shaving 4 times a day since you got peach fuzz at 14 to have that much experience. :001_smile I know that Merkurs suck in every razor I have.... does that count? Oh, and Derby's last me a week when no other blade will. But I'm new at this so maybe I can make an intelligent comment in... oh, about 10 years.... sigh.....

Really, this is very much a YMMV type of thing - for example, I tend to use Derbys and Dorcos and get good shaves regardless of the razor when I use them.

Feathers on the other hand only ever go into my milder razors, as I find they're just a smidge too sharp for my more aggressive razors, which results in some burn/irritation.

Good grief, you must have been shaving 4 times a day since you got peach fuzz at 14 to have that much experience. ...snip

LOL, not really Duck. I guess it's just the analytical side of me, looking at how everything performs compared to something else or another set-up.

One thing I meant to put in my original post, but didn't, is how different blades perform differently in the HD, the 38C, and the Long Handle Classic when they all have the same head. Like Suzuki said above, it's very much the YMMV thing, but it proves (to me at least) that there's a huge difference is the way the handle affects the razor itself, and I guess the blade you use in it.

My Merkur razors (Mergress, Vision, and 15C) seem to like the Merkur blades. But on almost everything else, the cheap Walmart personnas seem to work just fine.

I do have some NOS Schick Platinums that are just amazing in my '59 Fatboy and Schick Krona:biggrin: but my supply is running low....

I have been waiting for someone to tackle this discussion. Like Suzuki, I use a Feather in a '39 Tech but nothing more aggressive. The results are amazing and I can use the setup a week.

Top Bottom