What's new

Interesting Conversation with Gillette Brand Manager

The brand manager for Gillette France gave a talk at school today. It was pretty interesting. I asked him a lot of questions after the talk. Here is a brief summary of what I learned:

1. Blades make up 60% of Gillette razor sales (the rest is handles and disposables)
2. Gillette is aware that the price of blades is high but they have not lowered it because demand is still high. As long as people are willing to pay a fortune for blades, Gillette will not lower the price.
3. It costs 100 million dollars (!) to develop a new razor system. The reason that there are always minor "improvements" that come out between major improvements (for instance Mach 3 TURBO and Gillette Fusion PROGLIDE) is to boost sales in the middle of the product's lifecycle.
4. The next Gillette razor will not have more blades.
5. Gillette's new marketing strategy is to use the "average Joe" as their spokesperson rather than professional athletes
6. Gillette's target is a fictitious character called "Mr. Magnetic" who believes that he has to "look good to feel good". Mr. Magnetic tends to shave his entire body, including what they refer to as the "groin area". They also have Mr. Responsible and Mr. Simple and other characters which represent segments which basically are not willing to spend as much money on Gillette stuff as Mr. Magnetic.
6. Brand managers at Procter & Gamble usually stick with a brand for about three to four years. The current brand manager for Gillette France does not appear to have any interest in the company's history and shaving in general (not a surprise, of course!). In fact, he was very poorly shaven. He claimed he use the Proglide himself.

There are a few more specific things I also learned which I can post later if you are interested.

Great stuff already! Please keep sharing. Did you ask him questions after everybody was gone? Or did you ask him questions after he talked but while everyone was still there? Me, I would of asked him questions while everyone was there :)

Not a big surprise. I know a guy on another board that is an engineer for Gillette that had a major role in the development and manufacture of the Mach III and Fusion. He was just notified that he is getting laid off, it seems his services were no longer needed. He isn't impressed with the P&G management of Gillette since 2005.

I am quite honestly looking forward to buying 20 fusion blades every two years going forward (for head shaves). Screw P&G, modern Gillette and their feminzed groin-shaving ideal. :death:

Last edited:
Gillette has always claimed astronomical research and development costs for new razor designs. They may well spend that amount of money on them, for all I know.

I guess the salient question is this: Does the new product merit its price tag? For me, the answer is no. Shaved with a 1934 long-comb NEW this morning and had a fine shave.

2. Gillette is aware that the price of blades is high but they have not lowered it because demand is still high. As long as people are willing to pay a fortune for blades, Gillette will not lower the price.

It's not that they are willing to spend that much... the average consumer doesn't realize they have any choice. It's like buying gas.

5. Gillette's new marketing strategy is to use the "average Joe" as their spokesperson rather than professional athletes
proxy.php

I'm actually very interested to hear what else they had to say. Please continue!

1. Blades make up 60% of Gillette razor sales (the rest is handles and disposables)
Blades or cartridges?

I can't blame them for that.

6. Gillette's target is a fictitious character called "Mr. Magnetic" who believes that he has to "look good to feel good". Mr. Magnetic tends to shave his entire body, including what they refer to as the "groin area". They also have Mr. Responsible and Mr. Simple and other characters which represent segments which basically are not willing to spend as much money on Gillette stuff as Mr. Magnetic.

If I could fine the eye rolling emoticon, this is where it would go.

Thanks for the post, it was interesting.

I remember some stuff from the idiotic Economics class I took. As long as the demand is very high a company can basically charge whatever they want, as long as they maintain a supply to match it. The more people who get fed up with paying $80 a month, the larger message we can send to Gillette that we're sick and tired of being cows in their milk factory, so to speak. The larger a chunk of profits we can all take away from Gillette, the louder our message to them can and will be.

Best Buy is doing the same thing with their store designs. I honest to goodness can't remember the names of the store designs they had, but I remember that their targets were teenage boys, moms, and dads. There was a really interesting article in the Washington Post about it five years or so ago.

Is this the Mr. Magnetic he happened to describe?
$Magneto_in_Color_by_ssejllenrad2.jpg :lol:

Last edited:
Having worked in the ad industry for 23+ years, none of this surprises me in the least. The $100MM figure he quoted includes, I'm guessing, not only R&D but all advertising & media as well. Advertising & media would include production of any & all commercials, the media time to air said commercials, and of course whatever they pay their ad agency (which is BBDO, I believe).

Last edited:
This is very interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Basic Supply and Demand - if people are willing to buy, what incentive is there to lower the price?

Do they spend a $100 million to just make a razor or do they spend that much to design a razor they can Patent?:shifty:

anyway thinks for sharing.

What a terrible marketing principle "Gillette is aware that the price of blades is high but they have not lowered it because demand is still high. As long as people are willing to pay a fortune for blades, Gillette will not lower the price."
Smart because the greed machine at Gillette makes tons of money, but dumb because they don't care that they are ripping off the consumer for something that they know the consumer needs. If more people knew about other forms of wet shaving, I'm sure a lot of people (not all) would jump on board and give it a try.

Being a wetshaver for only a few weeks (2-3) now, I have already convinced at least 10 people I know to get rid of the "this is what the tv told me" razor and make a worthwhile investment in this lifestyle.

The speaker forgot to mentioned Mr. Pissed off (like many of us here)!! The person who became sick of extremely expensive, subpar shaves. Mr. Pissed off is no longer a Gillette customer.......and he wants to knock some sense into Mr. Magnetic:a7:

Top Bottom