What's new

inquiry about King C Gillette de (safety) razor blades

Very good blades, particularly with KCG razor. But as others point out, they are very expensive. And the cuts are related to the technique of shaving. Improve it with regular shaving and use nice barber soap /cream. Wish you a good luck.

Fully agree. Very good blades and indeed expensive. I was able to scoop a reasonable bargain here in the Netherlands though with an average of 35 cents per blade. About the same price point as Feather (at least here).

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Excellent blades, I completed the One Blade February Challenge with one that now has 28 shaves on it, I will be going back to finish it after the Fixed Four For March Madness Challenge. Although I am in Ireland I could post you one if you PM me your address and don't mind waiting a couple of weeks. What other blades have you tried and are there others you would like to try?

Excellent blades, I completed the One Blade February Challenge with one that now has 28 shaves on it, I will be going back to finish it after the Fixed Four For March Madness Challenge. Although I am in Ireland I could post you one if you PM me your address and don't mind waiting a couple of weeks. What other blades have you tried and are there others you would like to try?
Mike, what do you mean you could post me one?

So far, the only razor blade I've tried is Wilkinson Sword. Blades I have that await trial: Rockwell, Merkur Stainless Rostfr... Platinum Coated, Parker, and Microtouch One Precision Blades (Dorco).

I'm trying to minimize cutting and I've read the following might be good candidates: Muhle, Derby Extra, Polsilver, Shark, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Platinum and Lord.

The problem is, there aren't any local places to get razor blades. Gillette King C Dollar is the only one I've found so far, and that's in a drugstore near my cardiologist.

I was browsing in a drugstore and found King C Gillette double edge blades. Some questions about them:

1. They have a date on them, it looks like the year 2020. Is this the expiration date or the date manufactured or what? If the former, they're two years out of date!

2. They're made in Russia! Aren't we supposed to boycott Russia these days?

3. Are they suitable for sensitive skin? I've used safety (de) razors on and off for over 55 years and often cut myself shaving. I'm starting all over again, with medium quality razors (Parker Variant, Merkur 38C, Rockwell 2C) and studying videos on how-to-do-it-right so I can be careful. So far, so good.
No politics, please.

I was browsing in a drugstore and found King C Gillette double edge blades. Some questions about them:

1. They have a date on them, it looks like the year 2020. Is this the expiration date or the date manufactured or what? If the former, they're two years out of date!

2. They're made in Russia! Aren't we supposed to boycott Russia these days?

3. Are they suitable for sensitive skin? I've used safety (de) razors on and off for over 55 years and often cut myself shaving. I'm starting all over again, with medium quality razors (Parker Variant, Merkur 38C, Rockwell 2C) and studying videos on how-to-do-it-right so I can be careful. So far, so good.
Regarding point 2, without getting into politics: those blades have already been imported and the vendors/distributors won't be getting any more. It makes no difference at this point if you buy them.

Spend the money and try them. You won't be disappointed. They are a great blade. You probably won't buy them again because of price but but go ahead and indulge your curiosity.

The problem is, there aren't any local places to get razor blades. Gillette King C Dollar is the only one I've found so far, and that's in a drugstore near my cardiologist.
Correction. It's King C Gillette, not King C Dollar.

I bought a pack today. The price wasn't outrageous: 10 blades for about $6.00.

So, let's see how they are.

They seem the same as the Russian Platinum blades that can be found much cheaper. Probably the same blade re-branded and sold at a much higher cost.

I'm trying to minimize cutting and I've read the following might be good candidates: Muhle, Derby Extra, Polsilver, Shark, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Platinum and Lord.

The problem is, there aren't any local places to get razor blades.
Most blades from the P&G factory are worth trying so get a sampler of those from an online vendor. Then order a few of your favourite blades by the 50 or 100 from online vendors. That will keep you going for a long time.
Retail packs from brick and mortar stores are very expensive and KCG blades are some of the most expensive I have seen. That is the Gillette sales pitch they have been touting for about a century!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Where I live the KCG blades are over a dollar each. Ten bucks for ten blades when I can get 100 of a blade I know for just a couple dollars more than that? Economic slam dunk. But they put 'em next to the carts so they look less expensive. :O)

O.H.

How did the KCG blades work out for you?

I finally got the chance to try them through a blade trade with another Canadian from the BST. They shave very similarly to Gillette Platinum, to the point where I doubt I could notice a difference side by side.

As for minimizing cutting, that almost always comes down to technique IMO. I've cut myself with a Feather (very sharp) and cut myself with a Derby Extra (so dull you wonder if they forgot to sharpen it at the factory). The key to minimizing cuts and nicks is shaving with light pressure. Lighter than you think it should be. Lighter than you think will work. Find a blade that works for you with light pressure and you're set.

Mike, what do you mean you could post me one?

So far, the only razor blade I've tried is Wilkinson Sword. Blades I have that await trial: Rockwell, Merkur Stainless Rostfr... Platinum Coated, Parker, and Microtouch One Precision Blades (Dorco).

Why go to local shops? It's obvious that you have access to the internet. ebay serves me well. There's healthy competition there for blades.
I do my best to avoid P&G/Gillette. Real life monopoly is their game, buying Astra and Wilkinson and many others.
I stick to Korea and Pakistan: Treet and Dorco, and China: Baili and Tian Li. Shark are good.

I’ve wanted to try these but can’t bring myself to pay $6 for 5 of them at the drugstore. Every time I’m there I check if they’re on sale, and I’ll buy them only if they’re on a good sale.
They are the best Gillette blade, sharp almost like a Nacet and smoother than Platinums. Amazon puts them on sale often or CVS hands out coupons on the receipts that I need a step ladder for. Candidly, if I didn’t have 2000 Nacets, 700 platinums and 400 silver blues i would buy them. But i am kind of stocked up.

It is for DE blades, which typically run around 10-cents for each blade, bought in bulk.
They seem the same as the Russian Platinum blades that can be found much cheaper. Probably the same blade re-branded and sold at a much higher cost.
No doubt they are...
They shave very similarly to Gillette Platinum, to the point where I doubt I could notice a difference side by side.
My guess is that they are Platinum's in a different box. Gillette packaged the Platinum's with the Gillette Heritage razor.

I am further guessing that the King C. version has the best quality control.

During the summer, Amazon had the Platinum Blue on sale for $10 per-hundred. That's 1/6 the price of the King C. version.

They are currently $12.98 on Amazon. So it's 13-cents vs. 60-cents per-blade. BIG difference!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
If I'm gonna pay a premium for DE blades they are coming from the USA (Personna) or Germany (Dovo). Both are quite good.

I agree with what others have said. The King C. Gillette blade is an excellent blade. I still have 4 of them from when I bought the KCG razor. As for the price they are expensive at around $6.95 for a 5 pack. The Wilkinson Sword blade in the black plastic box also run about the same price. I have seen them priced as high as $14.95 for a 10 pack! That's why I bought a sleeve 100 Shaverboy blades for $7.95. There are much cheaper and comparable options out there.

1. King C Gillette blades are excellent blades. They are both sharp and smooth. If they were available in 100 blade bulk packs for under $25, I would purchase them. I am not going to pay $7 for 10 blades from a local store when there are many other blades of equal quality I can purchase for under $15 per 100 blades.

2. Some people are still shaving with 50 year old vintage blades. I would not recommend that with carbon steel blades, but stainless steel blades will easily last that long if they are kept in dry conditions. Most blades are wrapped in wax paper to help keep them dry. Do not worry about blades being out of date unless the cardboard tuck appears water stained.

3. While the situation in Eastern Europe is tenuous, there are so many Russian made blades in the inventory pipeline that obtaining them is not an issue. Even if the Gillette blades made in St Petersburg and the Rapira, Voskhod, Ladas, and Sharp Star blades made in Moscow by JSC Mostochlegmash do run out, there are plenty of great blades made in many countries around the world. You will have to make your own decision concerning whether to purchase and use Russian made blades. Although I am not a fan of the Russian political leadership, I have nothing against the Russian people or the products they produce.

Wilkinson Sword blade in the black plastic box also run about the same price. I have seen them priced as high as $14.95 for a 10 pack!

They do tend to be expensive. Why, is beyond me. They were typically a $22 per-hundred on Amazon.

Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge (DE) Razorblades - 100 Blades​

1. Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge (DE) Razorblades - 100 Blades

Save 10% Lowest price in 30 days
Was:$19.41 Details
Price:$17.39 ($0.17/ Count) FREE Returns
You Save:$2.02 (10%)

This is the lowest price I have seen them offered online in the U.S.

Top Bottom