What's new

Ink Review: Pelikan 4001 Blue/Black

I have a bottle, and rarely use it, because to me, it writes very dry, and just didn't flow very well in the couple pens I tried it in. Nice color though.
what kind of pens and nibs ?, Just curious nice to know combos that work well and dont at times

I've used this ink for many years. It is one of my favorite blue blacks and has good flow in most of my pens. Pelikan makes excellent inks. Has anyone tried the Ecclesiastical Blue Black from UK? What do you think about its color and other characteristics.

what kind of pens and nibs ?, Just curious nice to know combos that work well and dont at times

I tried it in 3 or 4. The kick in the pants was it didn't work very well in my pelikan m200, which has a binder Cursive Italic (although to be fair, that one needs lots of ink to keep going). I think I tried it in a pilot 78g (which tends to be dry anyway) and a lamy studio as well.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I ordered a bit of this ink the other day from Amazon, so I should be seeing this one up close in the near future.

:001_cool:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Got some last month through Amazon, took a good while to get here, but it did come in eventually. Maybe three weeks? Can't remember as I had several inks come in during the same time frame. Nice ink, but I like a blacker blue-black.

I brought a couple of bottles back from Europe last spring. I like it and use it a lot, particularly when writing checks, addressing envelopes, filling out forms, etc. It's a little dry, but not enough to be a problem. Works well on cheap paper without a lot of feathering, bleed-through, etc. I probably wouldn't pay the premium to buy it here in the States, but if I go back across the pond soon, I plan on bringing back more.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Only $14.91 on Amazon with free shipping, is that premium pricing? Certainly not as cheap as Hero, but way less than Iro!

My absolute favorite blue black. Got my last current bottle in December 2012 from a fellow FPN member. Although it can be had from Cult Pens in the UK and shipped to the US..

Great review!

Pelikan 4001 Blau-Schwarz was my favorite blue black ink until I found Akkerman IJzer-Galnoten ink (which is my current favorite).

I noticed several people mentioned it's dryness. Pelikan themselves refers to it as an iron gall. From the Pelikan website:

4001 blue-black
The least complicated ink which is still relatively light resistant, is the ink "4001 blue-black", our item no. 310 607. This ink contains iron gall, which makes it much more resistant than for example the ink shades 4001 royal blue or 4001 brilliant black, but due to the addition of special ingredients, you can still use this ink without qualm in piston or cartridge fountain pens. Within time, the ink will change its tone from blue to gray, but it will remain visible. It is not quite as light resistant as the Fount India. Due to the small concentration of iron gall, this ink will not damage your paper (which sometimes happened with historic ink made of iron gall.)
Located here: Document Proof Ink

I left some weeks "marinating" until the dull blue -black turns a rich saturated nice blue-black.

I use it in a Parker Jotter as a workhorse pen.

Love it :thumbup1:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Simulated ink and finger accident test (patent pending:001_smile)_. I dipped my finger in for 5 seconds, then wiped with a rag (1st pic). Second pic is after washing the spot for 20 second with the generic liquid hand soap we have at work. This ink cleans up easy.
This happens to me every time i fill a pen!
Great review. I might snag some. I see different labels out there for apparently the same 4001

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This happens to me every time i fill a pen!
Great review. I might snag some. I see different labels out there for apparently the same 4001
Yep- the 4001 is a series with different colors. If you live in the US you will have to order Blue Black from overseas (or know someone who goes to Europe occasionally).

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yep- the 4001 is a series with different colors. If you live in the US you will have to order Blue Black from overseas (or know someone who goes to Europe occasionally).
I see. I find 4001 blue black on amazon. Japan import. Two different labels. Why isn't it available in the us?

Top Bottom