What's new

Ink Review - Noodler's Blue Black

$Noodlers Blue Black.jpg

After a rainy week where my field notes at work were becoming illegible while feathering and bleeding over the page, I decided to search for a water-resistant ink. Today I visited an art supply store, (Guiry's on Colorado Boulevard in Denver). They had a decent selection of Noodler's inks, although none of their "bullet-proof" offerings, they also did not carry any of the iron-gall inks for modern fountain pens. They also have a smattering of offerings from Private Reserve, Platinum, Omas, Parker Quink and Pilot (Nashiki Blue and Black).

I read reviews online while there and decided to try Noodler's Blue-Black, (not the "Air Corps" version). I will have to test it further and will update my review if I uncover any problems, but so far it appears to be a great choice for my work. Although not water-proof, it does leave behind legible text. It appears that the blue seeps away with water leaving the darker ink behind. In the test above water droplets were allowed to sit on the page for roughly 30 seconds before being dabbed with a paper towel.

This is another blue-black that appears to have a slight green tint, which I know some people do not like, but I prefer. The color is similar to Diamine Blue-Black and Pilot Tsuki-yo, two of my favorites.

This ink also seems to perform well on a range of different papers, and surprising even worked acceptably on a 100% recycled "decomposition book" which usually causes a problem for my pens.

I would recommend this ink, does anyone else have experience?

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks for the review!

After a rainy week where my field notes at work were becoming illegible while feathering and bleeding over the page, I decided to search for a water-resistant ink.

... decided to try Noodler's Blue-Black, (not the "Air Corps" version). ... Although not water-proof, it does leave behind legible text. It appears that the blue seeps away with water leaving the darker ink behind.

I seem to remember, in the general complaining around Goulet's Elysium Blue not being completely waterfast, that Nathan ("Mr. Noodlers" to you and me) said that blue is one of the hardest colours to get to really "stick" and be waterproof, bulletproof, &c. (Or was it Brian Goulet saying that? Or Brian saying what Nathan told him? Anyhow ...)

If "no-smudge" is what you want, Noodler's black (and Heart of Darkness too) will give you what you want. They should be easy to get wherever Noodlers are sold ... Just a couple suggestions.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Nice review. +1 on Noodler's black. I have yet to try Heart of Darkness, the name alone requires that I try it sooner than later, LOL!

Nice review. +1 on Noodler's black. I have yet to try Heart of Darkness, the name alone requires that I try it sooner than later, LOL!

HoD has been one of my regular rotation inks for a few years now. I do have some issues with nib creep with some pens as you can expect, but not enough to really bother me. When I want a really dark rich black this is what I reach for.

I have a bottle of the Noodler's Blue-Black. Have used it almost exclusively for a few years now in my carbon fiber Senna edition Montegrappa... It's getting close to empty. I like it quite a lot. It isn't the smoothest writing ink I've used but it isn't bad in that respect either. I really like the color. It does take a good while to dry on certain papers that aren't very absorbent but all around I quote like it.

Top Bottom