What's new

Ingrown Hairs

I've read about these but don't think I have experienced any. Actually I completely forgot about the issue since I started DE shaving a month ago. I've played around with ATG to see how smooth I can get my shave with no issues other than razor burn.

Do some people just not get ingrowns and not have to worry about it? From my avatar you can see the pattern of my beard growth. I guess it is fairly straight.

I stopped gettin them so much when i switched to wet shaving, now I have noticed I can get them with certain blades. When I have used a blade thats not too sharp for me or O have rushed and used a bad technique that is when I get in growns and rash.

By the looks of your avatar you dont need to worry about shaving and ingrowns:001_rolle

I can'[t remember the last time I had an ingrown hair, but I have had them once in a while. Wet shaving has made a difference in my getting them, but every so often one will appear, and for the life of me I don't know why. :confused1

I get them really bad. I wish I had your problem. I actually am on here looking for a solution. My dad doesn't get them soo..
Lane

I only get an ingrown hair on one spot at the edge of my beard line on my neck. Same spot..doesn't matter if i use a cartridge or DE. seems to be random

I have battled them on and off for a long time and wet shaving really helped. There are a few factors that can cause them to occur. Curly hair can be a big factor for many people as it cause the hair to spiral out instead of grow straight out and run the risk of growing under the skin. I have sensitive skin which I think is the main cause of them for me. Hair that lies flat can also cause them. They are very painful and can be very unsightly but can be mitigated to some extent. If you have never had one consider yourself lucky they can be quite painful.

Regards
Dave

I used to get them all the time from my electric razors (20+ years). After switching to DE early this year, I got one about a month in (it was pretty bad, actually), and then no more. Finally, after having switched to straights in the late spring/early summer, I haven't had any. This surprises me a bit, as I'm getting really close shaves with skin stretching, but I guess the hairs are so sharp they grow out of the skin normally instead of getting ingrown.

I get them on my throat as my hair lays flat and sideways. I have stopped shaving it with a blade. About the only thing that works in that area is using a foil electric shaver. Whereas some people have problems with electrics, it is the thing that helps me. The electrics with the rotary head version is no good for me though.

I get them on my throat as my hair lays flat and sideways. I have stopped shaving it with a blade. About the only thing that works in that area is using a foil electric shaver. Whereas some people have problems with electrics, it is the thing that helps me. The electrics with the rotary head version is no good for me though.

The flat lying hairs seem to be the biggest cause, I have flat lying hairs on my neck as well and will get ingrown hairs sometimes, a very light touch helps greatly (a light grip helps me have light pressure).

I have thick curly hair and always had ingrowns until I switched to a DE. Now I get about two a year (not counting times I travel and have to use a cart where I almost always come home with an ingrow).

I used to get 3-4 a month when I used carts. Since switching to DEs and straights I get maybe one a year. Based on my experiences (and those old multi-blade commercials), I think the carts would 'lift' the whisker, cut it off, and allow it to slide back under the skin. New whisker growth wouldn't come straight down pore and cause the ingrown. DE/straights are cutting the whisker off right at the surface of the skin. Use of the brush helps to exfoliate and keep the pores clear so ingrowns are less common. I'm no Dermatologist, this is strictly my opinion on the matter.

Lucky you.

Although since my wetshaving technique has improved, it is darn rare, relatively.
I use witch hazel with a little rosewood and lavender oils after my warm rinse. Maybe that helps, too.

I noticed an almost complete drop in ingrown hairs on my neck when my technique improved and I stopped the quest for BBS daily and became comfortable with a DFS. Technique was probably the biggest component.

Top Bottom