What's new

Ingredients of inexpensive creams and soaps

A while ago I saw a few people arguing on a Youtube wet shaving channel how inexpensive soaps and creams contain some artificial ingredients which might have some side effects not only to the skin, but it may cause other heath issues.

One of the guys simply said that people should buy only premium products and not risk their health or waste their money on inexpensive cosmetics. It makes sense that more expensive cosmetics are much better compared to more inexpensive products, but are inexpensive soaps/creams more dangerous than canned gels and foams?

Are those of us who use soaps like Arko and other inexpensive products going to regret it one day, or it's just nonsense?

A while ago I saw a few people arguing on a Youtube wet shaving channel how inexpensive soaps and creams contain some artificial ingredients which might have some side effects not only to the skin, but it may cause other heath issues.

One of the guys simply said that people should buy only premium products and not risk their health or waste their money on inexpensive cosmetics. It makes sense that more expensive cosmetics are much better compared to more inexpensive products, but are inexpensive soaps/creams more dangerous than canned gels and foams?

Are those of us who use soaps like Arko and other inexpensive products going to regret it one day, or it's just nonsense?
I would ask 1. Which ingredients? 2. What side effects?

- Fayiz D.

Mostly nonsense.

Soap ingredients are inexpensive for the most part. So, you can certainly find soap with a short list of basic ingredients without spending a lot of money. Vitos, for example, is extremely cheap, but good, with only a few basic ingredients. Speick shaving stick is another example, a very good, but short, list of ingredients.

Some people have sensitivities to certain ingredients, so they should read the label and avoid those specific ingredients. Some ingredients are best avoided, like parabens, for example. Generally, if a soap is allowed for sale in Europe, it's recognized as safe.

I'll post some amusing song lyrics:

You say nothing's right but natural things,
Ah, you fool!
Poison oak is a natural plant,
Why don't you put some in your food?
Natural food makes you slow and stupid
And it tastes like cabbage,
I don't care if there's chemicals in it
As long as my lettuce is crisp,
Preservatives might be preserving you all
I think that's something you might've missed.

- Jefferson Airplane, Eat Starch Mom

:laugh:

I understand the logic that more expensive products tend to have cleaner ingredients that can create ease of mind etc but to tell you the truth, unless you are a chemist with the right equipment you have no way of actually knowing what is actually in the product you are using and to what concentration. Most cheap products are cheap because they either have a short list of ingredients, a low amount of or no active ingredients, artificial fragrance, preservatives and sudsing agents. This usually just translates to it being a less clean product that might cause reactions in some people but is okay for basically everyone else. However, I remember seeing a product a while ago which had some synthetic ingredient that slowed beard growth and I decided to stay the hell away from that. Don't remember the cost, but if a cheap product is claiming it does something that you'd expect to have to pay more for....there might be issues. Most other products, which just operate as soap/cream etc. and don't have a gimmick should be fine. I'm fine with cheaper products for the most part. At least shaving products which don't often stay on my face all day. Lather is ultimately rinsed off.

One of the arguments was that our skin absorbs part of the product and once it's inside it may cause some issues inside our body. I don't know i'm no expert I was just wondering and I don't really buy the whole - ''buy only premium and expensive products'' fiasco.

I'm glad this came up. I was wondering myself. A while ago I decided that I will try to avoid products with ingredients that a) are proven to be carcinogenic (i.e. paraben, microplastic), b) might be harmful, but there aren't enough studies to prove it (yet): i.e.: any other ingredients that are petroleum based/sourced. I try to use products with a certification. Although some organic certifications allow a small amount of non-organic ingredients that are deemed safe. Also, SLS is very hard to avoid, as it can be found in almost any cosmetic product.
If you keep the above 2, you successfully eliminated 99.9% of all cosmetics. Motor oil has a warning on the label that it might cause cancer if it comes in contact with the skin. But shaving cream containing liquid paraffin can be sold in the supermarket.
I don't want to convert anyone, I simple try to make a conscious choice.
TLDR: I will avoid at all costs, in this order of importance: paraben, micro-plastic, paraffin, any other petroleum based ingredient.

Speick +1

If you are really concerned about 'ingredients' why not shave with baby lotion or say Cerave body lotion (developed by dermatologists) as I often do, but, for luxury and zero irritation reasons

If you are concerned about dangerous ingredients and want something as clean, pure and natural as possible I can recommend using a Laurel Soap or Oliveoil Soap for shaving.
They are so simple and natural and they are extremely good at rehydrate the skin.
Personally I use Laurel Soap for all my personal hygiene and all of my skin problems I used to have are gone.
I have tried these kind of soaps for shaving and they are really good.
It can be hard to get a nice lather but the slickness is amazing.
Only downside is the scent, Oliveoil Soaps and Laurel Soaps don't smell too nice, luckily the smell goes away when you rinse.

Just a tip, don't buy this kind of soaps from an on-line vegan store because they can be extremely expensive (in Sweden at least), go to your local middle east/arabic store that you can find in most cities worldwide today and buy them very cheap.
We have a Syrian/arabic supermarket in my hometown and they sell real Alleppo soaps (Laurel soaps) for just 2 Euros a piece, for a Laurel Soap of the same size some vegan stores will charge you between 10 and 20 Euros.

I'm more curious than worried and wanted to see those with more experience with both inexpensive and premium soaps/creams what they have to say and maybe help others who are in doubt.

Judging by other shaving topics like - DE/SE blades, razors, brushes etc, it's safe to say that not everything from a topic can be taken for granted and that there are always some myths and misconceptions floating around, especially with the premium and high end stuff.

Tallow & Steel is on the opposite end of the spectrum:

Tallow + Steel shave soaps are handmade using the highest quality organic ingredients, including tallow - which we render in-house from local, pasture-raised suet. Our shave soaps are easy to lather using all types of shaving brushes. Plenty of water is required when lathering to achieve optimal cushion and slickness - apply the lather to a wet face for best results.

Version 3:
Stearic Acid, Water, Organic Argan Oil, Organic Glycerin, Essential Oils, Organic Castor Oil, Organic Safflower Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Tallow (Pasture-Raised), Organic Coconut Oil, Bentonite Clay, Sodium Hydroxide, Vitamin E, Silk

And here is a description of Madagascar, a soap being currently offered:

Using essential oils sourced directly from Madagascar to reflect the island’s rich and unexplained biodiversity, this floral scent centers around some of the finest ylang ylang essential oil produced on the island. Combined with a sweet geranium rose oil, these floral notes will slowly subside making way for flora endemic to Madagascar - spicy ravensara, and green woody katrafay. Ever-present during the aromatic journey is a touch of the intoxicating scent of the island’s famed vanilla – prized for its warmth, and rich liqueur-like sweetness.

Madagascar is an uplifting fragrance that will whisk you away to an almost unreachable place that is rich with adventure and beauty.

Ylang Ylang (54%) | Katrafay (28%) | Vanilla (10%) | Rose Geranium (5%) | Ravensara (3%) | 100% Essential Oils and Natural Extracts

Between Arko and T&S Madagascar, I know which one I would choose (and have). I can tell you from personal experience that Madagascar is a pleasure to use. I cannot and will not express any opinion on whether it is healthier to use than Arko. Certainly it is more expensive.

Top Bottom