What's new

Increasing the draw of a strop

My apologies if this has been asked before, but is it possible to increase or improve the draw of a strop?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
If you mean how do you slow the strop down, apply a very small amount of Dubbin. That will make the strop "stickier".

To increase the draw a tiny( 1 to 3 drops on your palm) amount of neatsfoot oil on your hands and rub it in by hand. Just spread it evenly until it is all absorbed in.

To decrease the draw(fast draw) use a clean no lint or microfiber towel and wet it and rinse it out, leaving it just damp. Rub on strop making sure it is evenly spread on the strop. Color is the best indicator as to it being evenly damp. Let dry out and check the draw each time you do it. It takes's about 3-5 times to make it as light of draw the leather will become. You can't make horse hide as fast as shell but for example but will help cosiderably in many leathers.

Like everything YMMV but worth a shot.

Just remember that the draw of a strop is only a matter of personal preference. I have a latigo leather strop that has a very slow draw, fast bridle leather and horsehide strops that are quite slick, and several in between. I enjoy using all of them. They will all maintain the edge of a razor. Because I enjoy using all of them, I often start out on the latigo strop with 20 laps and then move on to other strops finishing on one of the horsehide strops. I do the same thing with my fabric strops before using the leather. Thus, I might to 80 laps on fabric and 80-100 laps on leather. However, I do that because I enjoy the experience. I could just as easily use any one of the strops for the entire stropping session.

Dubbin contains wax, and while it may make it sticker initially it can also make the surface slicker as the carrier evaporates and wax hardens, it will also make it more difficult to add oil/hydration later. Dubbin is for waterproofing boots.

Use oil, but sparingly, I use neetsfoot and olive oil.

When applying oil wet the strop face with a damp, clean sponge or paper towel. Wait 10-15 minutes then apply your oil rubbing into the leather. The water opens the pores and allows the oil to penetrate deep into the leather. It can take day or a week or so for the oil to evenly penetrate all the leather. So, do not add more if it appears blotchy, it will even out with time.

Making the leather feel slower, grabbier does not improve the finish on the razor, more important is the cleanliness of the strop and technique.

Dubbin contains wax, and while it may make it sticker initially it can also make the surface slicker as the carrier evaporates and wax hardens, it will also make it more difficult to add oil/hydration later. Dubbin is for waterproofing boots.

Use oil, but sparingly, I use neetsfoot and olive oil.

When applying oil wet the strop face with a damp, clean sponge or paper towel. Wait 10-15 minutes then apply your oil rubbing into the leather. The water opens the pores and allows the oil to penetrate deep into the leather. It can take day or a week or so for the oil to evenly penetrate all the leather. So, do not add more if it appears blotchy, it will even out with time.

Making the leather feel slower, grabbier does not improve the finish on the razor, more important is the cleanliness of the strop and technique.
Excellent advice
:thumbsup:

Top Bottom