What's new

In search of an almond sized spoon

PXL_20210103_235623785.jpg
I think I am going with the orca whale. The metal munchkin is stainless and has it beat performance wise, but aesthetically I prefer the orca. My son might notice if the cookie monster went missing and it's bad enough already I am stealing from a 2-year old.

I've seen little spoons meant to measure out loose tea leaves in the manner of a coffee-grounds scooper, only for tea (someone in my family got one as a gift once). As I recall they looked sturdy of construction, but can't remember how small they are. Might be worth looking into.

View attachment 1203930
I think I am going with the orca whale. The metal munchkin is stainless and has it beat performance wise, but aesthetically I prefer the orca. My son might notice if the cookie monster went missing and it's bad enough already I am stealing from a 2-year old.

Hahahaha :shuriken: stealing from a 2 year old, its funny when its true just hope he doesnt notice or else you will be looking for another spoon. I have this little scraper had a few extra ones from some candy or something the kids didn't like. Also have a few plastic long spoons as well and the handle works great to scrapeoff a thin layer. Gotta experiment to find a tool that works well and feels comfortable.
20210128_121940.jpg

20210128_122237.jpg

I was using an espresso spoon to scoop croap into my lather bowl, but was a little frustrated in getting all the soap off of the spoon, especially if trying to keep soap off my fingers.

I sometimes have a separate issue with hard croaps not getting all the way incorporated into my later. Once there are yoghurty mounds in the lather bowl, it can be hard to know if even more brush action is required to get all of the scooped soap incorporated.

My new way to address both these issues is an artist's palette knife:

1611855502211.png

The blade is really thin and flexible. It allows me to slice off a bit of croap and then spread it into a thin layer in the bowl. This makes it easier to dissolve/incorporate. And since, unlike a spoon, it is flat, I can wipe just about all of the soap off on the edge of the lather bowl. I liked the green handle on this one, but there are some with nice wooden handles for just a couple bucks on the river site.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
So, after eating almonds for the last few days, I think I have gained a couple pounds, but, I also got now a good understanding of the size of an almond kernel. From the bag of almonds, I picked out the smallest I could find, and also one that is a bit larger than the average almond. There might be a larger, or a smaller one left in the bag, and if I come across these, I definitely will post them as well.
Took pictures with a ruler (Starrett, nothing better than these...) to shown the size differences a bit better.
I also weighed them, used a small GEM scale I normally use for my reloading when checking throw weight of the powder.
The small on weighs 0.86 gram (13.2 grains) and the large one is 1.45 gram (22.3 grains). This is quite a difference!!
Could you imagine the shaving results if your soap amount will be so much different!!!!!

BTW, the scale was set on a granite slab that is resting on a dense rubber mat. As always, my good old Harrods golf ball also assists as a size scale comparison item.

View attachment 1193061

View attachment 1193062
That golf ball has a life of its own. All of mine are safety submerged.

That was a terrible joke… that actually made me laugh… which is probably terrible.

Anyways… I use these instead of spoons…

I also have spoons… which, of course leads me back to having to get the soap out of the spoon…

Spoons are problematic…

Attachments

• E3E9AE4A-C917-4980-910E-53A4E4B378A7.jpeg
    E3E9AE4A-C917-4980-910E-53A4E4B378A7.jpeg
    695.5 KB · Views: 8
  • D216E7DD-2749-4D72-B7EE-A354DEDED2A1.jpeg
    D216E7DD-2749-4D72-B7EE-A354DEDED2A1.jpeg
    829.5 KB · Views: 8
I prefer the “use what you have/is free” solutions. This is formerly a 1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon. It came as part of a set of measuring spoons from 1/4 to 1/64 tsp. I already had a couple 1/4 so I shaped this with a Dremel and have been using it for years.

I do get a bit of soap on my finger brushing it off, but I just smear what’s on my finger into the bottom of my lather bowl.

43F07DDD-7D03-4A56-B1DF-5AC80DBC7F9A.jpeg

I prefer the “use what you have/is free” solutions...
I try to abide by this as much as possible.
Given that, my daughter needed 4 of these to round out her tea set; leaving the remaining two available for my sink:

What tool do you guys use to get the soap out of the spoon?
On the rare occasion I scoop I use a wee cheese spreader and just scrape the soap directly onto a wet brush. If any soap is left on the knife I use the sides or other clean part of the brush to clean it off. Depending on how hard or soft the soap is it might transfer as a blob to the bowl, or I might just work it in the bowl directly from the brush.

Top Bottom