What's new

In search of an almond sized spoon

I think you are using the sizing for the whole nut...the kernel is 0.7 cubic centimeters, which is equivalent to 0.0237 fl.oz. which should be right "almond" size amount be...

You are absolutely right! That is what I get for being lazy about reading .. so a bit less than a quarter of a teaspoon would do it... That feels really low to me. That said no wonder it takes like 5 months to go through a puck! There is someone on here who actually mentioned they only buy samples - clearly one can go far on samples on alone

I tried a few before settling on a sterling silver teaspoon.

11FDB9A8-E54B-4CE1-9D4F-579F42C8D56D.jpeg

I don't use anything, because I use a cream from a tube sometimes or mostly a hard soap, but you could try a souvenir teaspoon. My grandmother had a collection of them hanging on the wall, and they seem like they would be about the right size. I don't know whether they are still a thing, but I see them on ebay. Being a souvenir, you could buy just one rather than a set. I recall seeing them in antique stores, and you might just wait until you can get out there.

Have to ask...after you take some from the hard soap how do you lather it..put in a bowl and lather...smear on face and face lather

Scuttle man here. Have no problems with any soaps or creams. Sometimes I may push a piece of soap to the bottom to stick before I start, but most of the time loose and swirled with the brush. Sometimes I’ll put some hot water on the soap piece(s) and let it soften for a minute. Just whatever I feel like but I don’t think it seems to matter as results are always fine. I have no problems being able to use any products. Most of the time I sort of work up a paste with whatever I am using for the day which I guess is similar to you folks who load from the soap tub except I don’t have to figure out how much or how long - it just a matter of when it is dissolved into a paste. Then add more water slowly and lather. The only time this doesn’t come out perfect is if I accidentally add too much water......easy fix is a little more product.

On one hand, I appreciate the scientific approach to the problem of exact soap volume.
On the other hand, I think my method of few seconds of swirling on top of a puck and face father is good enough for me.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
On one hand, I appreciate the scientific approach to the problem of exact soap volume.
On the other hand, I think my method of few seconds of swirling on top of a puck and face father is good enough for me.
You are in principle right....
The problem I see is that the size/volume of an Almond kernel is not exactly defined....almonds do come in different sizes, some are smaller, some are bigger....the whole thing is way overthought. Use what you need, different soaps may require different amounts of it....so it really doesn't matter if you have the right sized spoon to scoop it out.

Now, lets talk water amounts..... :001_tt2:

You are in principle right....
The problem I see is that the size/volume of an Almond kernel is not exactly defined....almonds do come in different sizes, some are smaller, some are bigger....the whole thing is way overthought. Use what you need, different soaps may require different amounts of it....so it really doesn't matter if you have the right sized spoon to scoop it out.

Now, lets talk water amounts..... :001_tt2:
Now you did it. I hadn’t even gotten to water!!!

In regards to face lathering, I must be a total klutz (knew that already, didn’t need to come here to validate it), but I can’t get face lathering to work. I end up with soap/cream flying everywhere and I don’t get as good a lather as when I bowl lather. I have on two occasions ended up with a brush burn on one or both cheeks. So I don’t face lather.

In regards to soap, I don’t plan on using the spoon on my Wool Fat puck. Swirling on the puck works fine. I plan to use the spoon on my TOBS cream to keep from wasting it by swirling.

In regards to water, I just swirl until I don’t see the lather building and then let a few drops of water run off my fingers into the bowl. Repeat swirling until it stops building... I don’t think I need a precise measurement there. I get good feedback from the lather.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
20201206_080855[1].jpg
This spoon works for me, great for mashing soap into a tub and scraping out soap size snurdles.

Top Bottom