What's new

Implications of Leukoplakia

I started smoking the pipe about 1 month ago and to my dismay I have contracted Leukoplakia which are growths of protein in the mouth with occur primarily as a result of pipe smoking. In my case it presents itself as a white spot on the side of the tongue and according to my physician a biopsy will have to be performed to analyse its possible malignancy (apparently rare) and then it will most probably have to be removed. Has anybody else encountered anything similar? Is this the end of my short pipe smoking excursion? I never had this problem with Cigars, will I have to give up those too? I am not a regular smoker so giving up completely will not be a major problem but it would be very sad if I had to give it up altogether.

A quick question for you. Do you smoke aromatics? My dentist could tell right away when I switched from aromatics to straight Virginia or Virginia/Perique. It seems that the aromatics tend to burn hotter and have more additives in them which cause problems in the mouth. When I made the switch, my dentist thought I had stopped smoking the pipe.

Thanks for the input, I have quit for now until I have had the biopsy performed and had the verdict. I will use the time I would have spent smoking to do some maintenance on my straights.

Great preliminary news: I went to a dermatologist today who removed the white material sent it off to the lab and said that it was very unlikely that it was leukoplakia. According to him you do not get leukoplakia when like me you are around 40 and certainly not from smoking 12 bowls of pipe tobacco. He encounters leukoplakia in 60 year old heavy smokers. Instead he said it was more likely scar tissue from a wound on the tongue or an infection or possibly some kind of fungus. It was likely that it was completely harmless. Anyway if his diagnosis is confirmed by the lab, I might be so bold as to give it a go again.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Great preliminary news: I went to a dermatologist today who removed the white material sent it off to the lab and said that it was very unlikely that it was leukoplakia. According to him you do not get leukoplakia when like me you are around 40 and certainly not from smoking 12 bowls of pipe tobacco. He encounters leukoplakia in 60 year old heavy smokers. Instead he said it was more likely scar tissue from a wound on the tongue or an infection or possibly some kind of fungus. It was likely that it was completely harmless. Anyway if his diagnosis is confirmed by the lab, I might be so bold as to give it a go again.
Good to here, Gustav

Great news, Gustav!

I think we all have to acknowledge that what we're doing isn't good for our physical well being, but it is something we insist on doing for our mental mental health.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Everyone knows that there is risk involved with the use of tobacco, but there is risk involved with everything (skydiving, drinking soda, shopping on Black Friday). As long as use doesn't turn into abuse you're chances of adverse health effects are minimal. Each person has to weigh the risk and consequences and determine for themselves of that risk is something they are willing to assume.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Everyone knows that there is risk involved with the use of tobacco, but there is risk involved with everything (skydiving, drinking soda, shopping on Black Friday). As long as use doesn't turn into abuse you're chances of adverse health effects are minimal. Each person has to weigh the risk and consequences and determine for themselves of that risk is something they are willing to assume.
You know, ever since they allowed drug companies to advertise on tv, I don't want to take medicine. The side effects of some of them sound worse than what they are treating.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
That's because of the stinking lawyers, and the fact that everyone is out to sue everyone else. "Sure I had to start taking Lipitor because I ate crap for every meal for the the last 20 years, and sure it probably saved my life, but it made my skin itchy so I'm going to sue the pants off of someone" :a52:

Did you bite your tongue recently? Ive gotten white spots on the side of my mouth not because of smoking but because i bit the side of my cheek while eating. That spot then became white but healed up after a bit of time. A fever could probably cause this also.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Leukoplakia and similar ailments can be attributed to alcohol use, rough teeth, scraping mucous membranes while chewing food etc.
An interesting study performed on people with leukoplakia found affected people to be low in the B complex vitamins.

Glad to hear that this was a false alarm.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think we could argue days over that point of view :smile:. I would say a lot more people will be having health issues rated to poor eating habits vs. having a bowl of pipe tobacco.

Apparently a Swedish study found the mortality rate between obese men and smokers to be similar.
The article:
http://www.obesitypanacea.com/2009/03/what-is-more-likely-to-kill-you-smoking.html?m=1

Abstract:
http://www.bmj.com/content/338/bmj.b496.abstract

Now skydiving...
What about obese men who smoke while skydiving?

Top Bottom