What's new

I'm Thinking of Buying One and Only One Synthetic | Which One Should I Buy?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If that Omega Evo wasn't so expensive, I'd give it a go. Gorgeous brush.

You mean as in good looking (which it is) or in what you know of its performance?

I suspect most of us put function before form, right?

I'm not ruling out brushes as expensive as the Omega Evo, at least the least expensive handles Omega puts the knot in. The price of these is about what I'd expect to pay for a good sized Maseto silvertip or two band.

Interesting how much price variation there is in the synthetics, but even the Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic can be found for $91. That's definitely more than I'm willing to pay for a synthetic (unless reviews universally declare it the finest and most perfect brush in existence which they certainly don't). For that price I could buy another Zenith Manchurian copper.

I have found reviews favorably comparing the Omega Evo to the Simpson Chubby 2.

Looks like the video ^ directly compares the two brushes but my Italian is not existent and I can't find a translation.

1583072082571.png

One thing I've learned - no surprise here but it's interesting to me - as I've been recently reading about and researching synthetics is the extreme degree of YMMV with these brushes.

Another item I've run across: It's said there will in the not distant future be synthetic fibers designed to perform vastly better than animal hairs and whiskers, fibers with fancy coating, etc. I've seen these referred to as Generation 5 fibers, but they might be Generation 6.

Trying to find out much about the actual fibers - what they are, how they're made, their shape, their various properties, their "real" name as opposed to the names manufacturers use to describe them, names which may or may not be the same as the names they're assigned by other manufacturers and vendors - well, good luck with that.

1583072304415.png

There's a lot of information and a lot of misinformation. Nothing surprising about that. I don't think I've ever seen a member post disinformation on B&B which is a huge compliment to this community.

I'm not entirely sure why I want a synthetic. Might be curiosity. It's not like I need a brush of any sort, but you know how that is. We don't need more but we buy more.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
You mean as in good looking (which it is) or in what you know of its performance?

I suspect most of us put function before form, right?

I'm not ruling out brushes as expensive as the Omega Evo, at least the least expensive handles Omega puts the knot in. The price of these is about what I'd expect to pay for a good sized Maseto silvertip or two band.

Interesting how much price variation there is in the synthetics, but even the Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic can be found for $91. That's definitely more than I'm willing to pay for a synthetic (unless reviews universally declare it the finest and most perfect brush in existence which they certainly don't). For that price I could buy another Zenith Manchurian copper.

I have found reviews favorably comparing the Omega Evo to the Simpson Chubby 2.

Looks like the video ^ directly compares the two brushes but my Italian is not existent and I can't find a translation.

View attachment 1068957

One thing I've learned - no surprise here but it's interesting to me - as I've been recently reading about and researching synthetics is the extreme degree of YMMV with these brushes.

Another item I've run across: It's said there will in the not distant future be synthetic fibers designed to perform vastly better than animal hairs and whiskers, fibers with fancy coating, etc. I've seen these referred to as Generation 5 fibers, but they might be Generation 6.

Trying to find out much about the actual fibers - what they are, how they're made, their shape, their various properties, their "real" name as opposed to the names manufacturers use to describe them, names which may or may not be the same as the names they're assigned by other manufacturers and vendors - well, good luck with that.

View attachment 1068958

There's a lot of information and a lot of misinformation. Nothing surprising about that. I don't think I've ever seen a member post disinformation on B&B which is a huge compliment to this community.

I'm not entirely sure why I want a synthetic. Might be curiosity. It's not like I need a brush of any sort, but you know how that is. We don't need more but we buy more.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I was referring to the physical beauty of the brush. I like the look of the handle and the knot, it looks both modern and unique at the same time.

In the Ruds demo he appears to fight getting it splayed on the left side of his face but not on the right. My biggest gripe with synthetics is the way they splay. I have to fight to get them open and hold them that way, then can’t feel the brush at all. Very weird. But if not face-lathering, not an issue since you're painting anyway. If that’s the case, why not just use a monster boar? Just my 2 cents.

Some people don’t use animal products so perhaps these are marketed to them as a way to have a really nice brush (including the handle).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This regards the video previously posted by me (the one in Italian comparing the Chubby 2 and the Evo...

Fumbling about I located the "transcript" of the video (on YouTube), copied it in small three minute segments and translated it with an online Italian to English gizmo.

This is part of that translated material...for what it's worth (I removed most of the time stamps and added a little bit of sentence structure).

(I think he's talking here about the Chubby but I'm not 100%)...a few years is a very high synthetic level capable of retaining moisture to grant soap along the three passes serenely excellent class grip elegant soft like spikes but from decided character therefore yes able to massage but also to move well.

The the same consideration I can do on the Greek name omega evo is a synthetic new generation a champi. He too has a little more forelock the knot one millimeter larger able to thanks to this here in the in the final tuft where you go to insert into the handle is more jagged compared to the shabi 2 synth and this in my opinion it allows the brush to retain more moisture and more soap therefore it releases more. Along the past three excellent quality beautiful super elegant handle handle nice to see tips maybe a little bit softer those of the name I must therefore can ensure a great massage but tuft anyway both of character and therefore able to move also serenely the hair.

Make what you can of ^ that.

His bottom line is very clear...

I believe that there is no winner I put them both on the same step of the podium. I don't feel like saying either one it is better. Are two excellent brushes the two excellent performance synthetics excellent and very high to very high quality the only difference can make it the price.

So, I'm not sure what he's saying here in it's entirety but he likes the Omega Evo a lot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I was referring to the physical beauty of the brush. I like the look of the handle and the knot, it looks both modern and unique at the same time.

In the Ruds demo he appears to fight getting it splayed on the left side of his face but not on the right. My biggest gripe with synthetics is the way they splay. I have to fight to get them open and hold them that way, then can’t feel the brush at all. Very weird. But if not face-lathering, not an issue since you're painting anyway. If that’s the case, why not just use a monster boar? Just my 2 cents.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. As a face latherer I know the importance (to me) of splay.

On one of the other shaving forums one of the posters writes about his impressions of several synthetics. He's clearly not a "synthetics guy" but he talks about the Chubby 2 synthetic and others...this is what he has to say about the Omega Evo.

Really I would say it (the Omega Evo) is the best done out of all my synthetics thanks to the shorter loft for better control, sufficient fiber thickness, a hybrid knot construction, no glue bump, clamped fibers to help with water retention, and sufficient density to promote flow-through and backbone. I could possibly see this becoming my synthetic brush of choice when I travel and at home if it continues to impress me and I make my way through my other new synthetics.

Me, I'm just fumbling about learning stuff about the brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I have 3 synthetics - Shavemac, Muhle and Silksmoke. However, I reach for my Declaration Grooming badgers 95% of the time. If I had to pick a synthetic it would be the Muhle 25mm. It's a pretty big knot but also costs about $131.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have 3 synthetics - Shavemac, Muhle and Silksmoke. However, I reach for my Declaration Grooming badgers 95% of the time. If I had to pick a synthetic it would be the Muhle 25mm. It's a pretty big knot but also costs about $131.

It's also, according to what I've read, not being made any longer. I looked around a bit to see if I could find any. I think maybe there are a few still in stock.

It's out of my price range for sure. I don't have any badgers that expensive, and don't plan to.

Still, I think it would probably be the knot size I'd like best of the Muhle synthetics.

Zenith.Copper.Manchurian.3-6-19.jpeg

I've very little doubt I'll end up reaching for my boars and badgers - and I have my favorite ^ of them all - much more often than any synthetic currently available, but we'll see.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It's also, according to what I've read, not being made any longer. I looked around a bit to see if I could find any. I think maybe there are a few still in stock.

It's out of my price range for sure. I don't have any badgers that expensive, and don't plan to.

Still, I think it would probably be the knot size I'd like best of the Muhle synthetics.

Connaught Shaving carries the XL Muhle & Edwin Jagger and they are a lot cheaper than getting them in the states. Through them, the Muhle is about $67 & the EJ is about $52.

From you describing what you like in a brush, the Omega EVO sound like it might be a good fit based on the reviews Ive read.

A couple of things...

First, a post lifted from another thread. Good information on some of the knots.

View attachment 1068631

I lifted this chart. Not sure I can give the link, but search for understanding synthetic knots|d l and you'll find it. There's more information there than just what's on the chart below, information on some knots not on the chart.

View attachment 1068634

Here's a photo (below) of Yaqi's synthetics.

View attachment 1068639

Hope this is of interest to others.

I know it's incomplete.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hey Jim, the pic you grabbed was mine from another forum post and have since sold the APShaveCo knotted brushes as they just couldn't keep up with the TurnNShave knotted brushes I have. I was going to post something here yesterday but got busy and forgot so I'm glad you did this...

I'd first like to point out from the chart you posted, not sure where it came from, but they list a Cashmere / Angel Hair knot as being the same and I can vouch personally they are "not" the same. At least the Cashmere from APShaveCO / Yaqi vs. TurnNShave's... Night and day as they are different diameter knots and loft. The TurnNSHave Angel Hair is a taller knot. The one I bought was 70-72mm overall and 25mm diameter. Also the Cashmere's are a bulb type while the Angel Hair is a fan type knot.

I switched over to synthetics back in early 2017 and haven't looked back as they just lather much easier for me and they are very easy to maintain overall. My problem with real hair knots were they tended to hog lather, needed extra care to get them ready to lather, and needed to be cleaned frequently to maintain optimal use. There is none of that with synthetics if you rinse them thoroughly after each and every shave. Takes less than a minute to rinse while splaying it in the palm of your hand while rinsing. Mine also completely dry in just a matter of a couple hours too which is a big plus for me. Other than the 3 TurnNShave brushes I have in the pic I also have a synthetic Plisson type from Larry @Whipped Dog that I use in my rotation also. It was the 1st synthetic that started it all for me and I really enjoy using it despite once its wet and lathered it suffer's the dreaded doughnut effect because its just not as dense as most other synthetics and the fibers are a little prickly when your splaying it. Its I think a Gen 2 synthetic knot but was much better than the original tuxedo knots from the same era... I have also owned and used the original Gen 1 Tuxedo and also the Silksmoke knots from APShaveCo and found them not to my liking as they were too springy and had a tendency to fling lather while painting with them.

Now that that's out of the way I will add that of the brushes I have the most Badger like is the Timberwolf. It has probably the softest tips of all my brushes and is very plush while having some backbone. It's pretty easy to splay and lathers extremely well. The next would be the Quartermoon that has a little more backbone while maintaining the soft tips but not as dense as the Timberwolf and it lathers just slightly better. I'm not sure who Milton had make these knots but highly doubt it would be Yaqi because they are "fan" knots and Yaqi's versions are "bulb" knots. I would however suggest the Angel Hair brush to you because I know you are a lover of Boar brushes and this one is very Boar like to me and I think is the reason I like it so much. Its not as easy to pick up lather as the others I have and takes a few more swirls in my Stirling tubs and I seem to add a ton of water while face lathering but it is very rewarding to me. I started brush lathering with Omega Boar brushes since around the early 90's and this one really reminds me of them and just feels like home!!

That about covers it with the exception of cost... I set all of the 3 TurnNSHave knots in handles I purchased from DC Shaving on Etsy to a loft that "I" wanted and would say each brush cost approx. $80-90 factoring shipping and materials which was ok by me. I ended up with a brush that I will use for the rest of my life that I enjoy picking up when its time to shave which is more than I can say for what is being offered in standard brushes from the likes of Yaqi, WCS, IB, Maggards, and such. I find most of their handles boring and most times ugly at best, but again this is my opinion though!!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Connaught Shaving carries the XL Muhle & Edwin Jagger and they are a lot cheaper than getting them in the states. Through them, the Muhle is about $67 & the EJ is about $52.

I'm mortified that I hadn't looked for these brushes at Connaught. They're one of my favorite vendors.

Indeed they do have the XL Muhle STF in stock at least (but not in all handle colors).

From you describing what you like in a brush, the Omega EVO sound like it might be a good fit based on the reviews Ive read.

I agree.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hey Jim, the pic you grabbed was mine from another forum post and have since sold the APShaveCo knotted brushes as they just couldn't keep up with the TurnNShave knotted brushes I have. I was going to post something here yesterday but got busy and forgot so I'm glad you did this...

I'd first like to point out from the chart you posted, not sure where it came from, but they list a Cashmere / Angel Hair knot as being the same and I can vouch personally they are "not" the same. At least the Cashmere from APShaveCO / Yaqi vs. TurnNShave's... Night and day as they are different diameter knots and loft. The TurnNSHave Angel Hair is a taller knot. The one I bought was 70-72mm overall and 25mm diameter. Also the Cashmere's are a bulb type while the Angel Hair is a fan type knot.

I switched over to synthetics back in early 2017 and haven't looked back as they just lather much easier for me and they are very easy to maintain overall. My problem with real hair knots were they tended to hog lather, needed extra care to get them ready to lather, and needed to be cleaned frequently to maintain optimal use. There is none of that with synthetics if you rinse them thoroughly after each and every shave. Takes less than a minute to rinse while splaying it in the palm of your hand while rinsing. Mine also completely dry in just a matter of a couple hours too which is a big plus for me. Other than the 3 TurnNShave brushes I have in the pic I also have a synthetic Plisson type from Larry @Whipped Dog that I use in my rotation also. It was the 1st synthetic that started it all for me and I really enjoy using it despite once its wet and lathered it suffer's the dreaded doughnut effect because its just not as dense as most other synthetics and the fibers are a little prickly when your splaying it. Its I think a Gen 2 synthetic knot but was much better than the original tuxedo knots from the same era... I have also owned and used the original Gen 1 Tuxedo and also the Silksmoke knots from APShaveCo and found them not to my liking as they were too springy and had a tendency to fling lather while painting with them.

Now that that's out of the way I will add that of the brushes I have the most Badger like is the Timberwolf. It has probably the softest tips of all my brushes and is very plush while having some backbone. It's pretty easy to splay and lathers extremely well. The next would be the Quartermoon that has a little more backbone while maintaining the soft tips but not as dense as the Timberwolf and it lathers just slightly better. I'm not sure who Milton had make these knots but highly doubt it would be Yaqi because they are "fan" knots and Yaqi's versions are "bulb" knots. I would however suggest the Angel Hair brush to you because I know you are a lover of Boar brushes and this one is very Boar like to me and I think is the reason I like it so much. Its not as easy to pick up lather as the others I have and takes a few more swirls in my Stirling tubs and I seem to add a ton of water while face lathering but it is very rewarding to me. I started brush lathering with Omega Boar brushes since around the early 90's and this one really reminds me of them and just feels like home!!

That about covers it with the exception of cost... I set all of the 3 TurnNSHave knots in handles I purchased from DC Shaving on Etsy to a loft that "I" wanted and would say each brush cost approx. $80-90 factoring shipping and materials which was ok by me. I ended up with a brush that I will use for the rest of my life that I enjoy picking up when its time to shave which is more than I can say for what is being offered in standard brushes from the likes of Yaqi, WCS, IB, Maggards, and such. I find most of their handles boring and most times ugly at best, but again this is my opinion though!!

This adds a great deal to my understanding of the knots. It also makes me wonder if it's the fibers that are different or the setting in the brush (loft)? Do you have any experience to help with that question? I'm asking here about the differences you notice as you compare the mass market knots to Milton's.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

This is a nice thread and of interest to me so I'll be following. I'm not sure if I'll be buying a synthetic yet because I'm currently enjoying learning about my two boar brushes and would be more inclined to go for another boar when I'm ready for a new brush. A 24mm tuxedo was recommended to me as a good brush months ago and I've been intrigued ever since as to why the tuxedo over any other type.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This is a nice thread and of interest to me so I'll be following. I'm not sure if I'll be buying a synthetic yet because I'm currently enjoying learning about my two boar brushes and would be more inclined to go for another boar when I'm ready for a new brush. A 24mm tuxedo was recommended to me as a good brush months ago and I've been intrigued ever since as to why the tuxedo over any other type.

I find myself reaching for my boars and synthetics more and more. :)

I've copied and pasted this post from another thread because it has information of interest to me as I consider these brushes.

Pretty sure he likes the Evo!

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm probably oversimplifying, but IMHO, there are three things that matter in a synthetic brush.

1.) How well and consistently it splays: A brush that squirrels around on your face instead of spreading out naturally is just unpleasant to use for face lathering. For bowl lathering & painting - probably OK. This is why I avoid narrow bulb shaped knots and small knots. Larger fans and generous dense wide bulbs with slightly flattened tops and reasonably modern fibers seem to splay better.

2.) How natural it feels: All synthetics are springy to some degree. The ones that get the density of the knot and the taper and crimp of the fiber right seem to utilize the surface tension of the lather to become a cohesive puff and start to feel natural after you get a lather going. The best Yaqui/Plissoft knots feel a little more synthetic than the premium silversynths at first but they also feel reasonably natural after the lather is going.

3.) How well it holds vs. deposits water/lather: Another performance aspect of "naturalness" is that truly bad synthetics seem to excel at putting water and lather anywhere other than your face, haha. They fling lather or drop it in chunks on your chin or lather pushes through the side of the knot and runs down your hand along with any excess water.... Uggh ;-) The good news is that synths have improved a lot. No known sellers carry truly bad synthetic brushes anymore. Maggard, WCS, Phoenix Artisan, Razorock, APShave, Stirling, Razor Emporium etc... call any of them and tell them what you like in a brush and they'll send you something good.

Anyway - The Evo is the best I've tried. A previous poster mentioned the BigBruce and Timberwolf. They're good choices too. If you don't at least "like" them, you won't "love" a premium silversynth.

Rock on ;-)

@Chan Eil Whiskers I will salute you if you stay true to your word and buy only one!

As strange as it looks synths can be a very quick and easy rabbit hole..

P.S. Don't pull the trigger on a Shavemac Fan shape unless you can try one*.
Though it may have an amazing fibre it has one very annoying ''thing'': Very uneven ''backbone/splay feel''. One moment is stiff as boar and the next moment it ''opens up'' like a mop, when applying vertical pressure. I don't know if this happens due to its shape (I stupidly ordered 2 fans instead of one fan and one s-bulb).
Personally I don't mind that much since I prefer to hard press my brushes most of the times plus it makes it excellent on painting motion.
FA stout may fall short in all other aspects but its pressure progression reminds me of the Zenith Silvertip (and that is an achievement).
I see a lot praise for Razorock Big Bruce but I found it too floppy and soft for my taste. Although knot size is impressive, the least. Unless you really want to go big in which case the Hulk slowly enters the scene.

*As much as I would like to ''service''you, I reside across the pond (Greece) which makes it too difficult and expensive for me to send you one to try..

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hello Jim- synthetic brushes I enjoy using, three great brushes with some backbone, good splay & soft tips IMO.

Razorock Plissoft 24mm- great little brush / Yaqi tuxedo knots are great brushes - West Coast shaving handles Yaqi
Razorock plissoft 24mm (2).jpg
Yaqi Tuxedo knot Sagrada Familia 24mm (2).jpg
Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm with black marble handle. (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom