What's new

I'm done with Clubman

I really liked it for awhile but after sticking with a general rotation of bay rum and vintage Old Spice for a few months it smelled awful to me when I went back.

Well...the goal IS minimalism, so this is actually a good thing in my book.

Weird though, how I could like it so such at one point and really be turned off later.

I gave up Clubman a year ago (SWMBO didn't like it), but I couldn't resist a good deal at a big bottle at Sally Beauty. Now I'm hooked again. No aftershave makes my skin look better, and it's extra nice with a drop or two of glycerin. And bonus: SWMBO now loves it!

Tastes change. Some of my favorite products now I did not like at all the first go around, and vice versa. Thats why I hoard everything. :cursing:

I wanted to try Bay Rum today, also at Sally's. I didnt care for it at all. Of course I got a drop of my nose so I had to smell it half the day.
The smell isnt too bad, but too me is smelled too "old man" for me. I prefer musks or citrusy.

NEVER get rid of a classic like clubman :) give it a few months and you'll like it again. Or just want an occasional change of scent...

I used it in the health club I belonged to in the 1980's. There was Clubman splash and pit juice spray at every wash basin. That was my introduction. Back then colleagues at work would ask me what I was wearing, I never got bad feedback. Now I've got it in my after shave arsenal. I use it occasionally, but I'd agree it is cloying. Now I prefer a fresher scent, and not as overpowering. I'll use it on a day off, but for days I work I use something like Myrsol Emulsion, Floid Blue, Truefitt 1805 balm, Alt Innsbruck. I really like Pre de Provence balm.

Since discovering Old Spice (Yes, the current stuff) I don't care to use clubman much, if ever. The newer old spice has the floral notes and powdery notes like Clubman, but has the spice in there as well. It also leaves my face feeling nicer!

Not to say I don't still enjoy Clubman, I do. I just grab OS first...

Same thing happened to me. Still love the performance of it, but its really strong and kind of sweet smelling to me these days.

I'm gonna hold onto it and see what I think when the weather warms up a bit.

Top Bottom