What's new

Illy VS Home Roasted....

Alright folks - so here it is, a knock down drag out two on two... the famed "king" of espresso blends Illy (both dark and medium) versus some home roasted single origin Kenya, both to FC and FC+ to go head to head with Illy Medium. These will be ranked/compared as follows....

1.) Freshness (Illy claims to have coffee that is "perfect" for months, based on their special sealing/packing process)
2.) Crema production
3.) Grind consistency (both on a "home" Baratza Vario and a "commercial" Cimbali Max Hybrid)
4.) Flavor (in cup) for straight espresso
5.) Flavor (in cup) for a milk drink
6.) Value (keeping in mind with roasting, you need to purchase equipment)

Pictures and/or videos will be posted of each pull/grind.

So who do you think will win, and in what categories? What espresso should my home roaster and I take on next? Black cat?

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything you roast at home should beat the Illy beans hands down - the Illys will be old and well past their prime by the time they get to your grinder.

Enjoy the Sweet Maria's - I've heard great things about their beans.

Anything you roast at home should beat the Illy beans hands down - the Illys will be old and well past their prime by the time they get to your grinder.

Enjoy the Sweet Maria's - I've heard great things about their beans.

I wouldn't be too quick to make that statement. While I don't know what kind of fight the illy will put up - I did have a co-worker give me some beans from one of his favorite roasters in a ziplock, that had very little scent to them, and appeared to be past their prime, and they delivered the most chocolatey shot of espresso i'd ever experienced, shot after shot - which reminds me, i've got to find out what they were. When I say chocolate, I don't mean any of those BS "chocolatey notes" - I mean any schmo off the street would have tasted chocolate over any other flavor.

While my home roast (I hope) will be much better than Illy, i'm real curious how much better, and in what areas. Also - i'm curious to see how well they preserve their beans and what kind of crema I can pull out of this.

I did have a co-worker give me some beans from one of his favorite roasters in a ziplock, that had very little scent to them

:thumbup1: to the idea of including Black Cat in the future. Intelligentsia is one of the great perks in my neck of the woods.

I've tried some Illy in the past and it didn't hold a candle to home roasted coffee. I've never had a store bought roast that tastes as good as what you do at home unless you have a specialty roaster and you know the beans are fresh and the roasting isn't overdone.

Home roast easily for reasons already cited above. Flavor can be quite subjective but on all other counts, no contest. Crema for crema's sake is pointless IMO but if its important to you then by all means...

I've tried some Illy in the past and it didn't hold a candle to home roasted coffee. I've never had a store bought roast that tastes as good as what you do at home unless you have a specialty roaster and you know the beans are fresh and the roasting isn't overdone.
Bulk production methods are just going to result in an entirely different product than what the smaller roasters are able to accomplish. I won't claim that one's inherently better than the other. I mean, if someone likes mass produced coffee, more power to that person.

Last edited:
Do you know the origin of the beans in the Illy coffee? I think the Kenyan will be good, but you may comparing different apples if the Illy is from South America or some totally different place.

Do you know the origin of the beans in the Illy coffee? I think the Kenyan will be good, but you may comparing different apples if the Illy is from South America or some totally different place.

It's a Northern Italian blend. I suspect is has a south american base, an indonesian addition for body, an african component for flavor, and a central american component for acidity(maybe.. this is the most likely to be absent).

It's absolutely comparing apples to oranges. Fresh versus old. Single origin versus Blend. etc..

:thumbup1: to the idea of including Black Cat in the future. Intelligentsia is one of the great perks in my neck of the woods.

Black cat roasted yesterday arrived today. Will be roasting up an espresso blend tonight and the smack down occurs Saturday, with three other tasters. Pics, video, commentary to follow....

Black cat roasted yesterday arrived today. Will be roasting up an espresso blend tonight and the smack down occurs Saturday, with three other tasters. Pics, video, commentary to follow....

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this... thanks.

I am really looking forward to this Joel.

Regards, Todd

Wild morning.

Illy Medium, Black Cat Espresso Blend, HoneyBadger Black Cat, Sweet Maria's Espresso Project #12 (roasted 2 ways), WholeLatteLove Buzzopolis - with multiple grinders, multiple ways. Might be a week or so before I get all of the pics/videos up though, there were a lot!

I've got about 8 more coffees to try/review....

Black Cat is a totally different animal from most other roaster's espresso blends
The latest incarnation is very heavy on the citrus notes (tartness is high)

Top Bottom