What's new

Identification Please

If you hold your hand out in front of you and place your thumb and forefinger about a half inch apart, that's about how much I know about safety razors. I use them from time to time... shhh... but don't even know enough to accomplish more that shave with them. I still can't figure out how to pick the right spot on the numbered dial yet.

Can someone tell me what model this thing is? It was a whopping $3.50 in the antique store. I couldn't pass that up, not knowing why.

Looks like a Fatboy to me! Great score for the price!

Does it have a datecode? (look at the bottom of the head on the outside kinda where the Gillette diamond is, on either side of the handle. It'll be a letter followed by a number)

Hi,

It looks like an old Gillette "Fat Boy" adjustable. They were produced around 1959-1962. There should be a letter and number under the razor's head (like for example, F 1), and from there you can then know the year/quarter in which it was manufactured.

If the head is in good condition and the adjustment works fine, you got yourself a nice bargain :)

Now someone more knowledgeable than me will confirm this, but I think that is a fatboy.

Edit: someone is always faster on the keyboard than me.

Bill: if you're able to find the date code, the number signifies what quarter of the year it was produced in (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th), and the letter:
...D=1958, E=1959, F=1960, G=1961, H=1962, etc...

Great find! On E-bay, you'll find a Fat Boy like that selling for about 10 times the price you paid.

Given the rings under the adjustment knob, I'll guess it's a year 'E' (1959) or earlier.

Great find! On E-bay, you'll find a Fat Boy like that selling for about 10 times the price you paid.

Given the rings under the adjustment knob, I'll guess it's a year 'E' (1959) or earlier.

+1 a good find Bill!

Bill: if you're able to find the date code, the number signifies what quarter of the year it was produced in (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th), and the letter:
...D=1958, E=1959, F=1960, G=1961, H=1962, etc...
Looks like E-1. Thanks for all the info. It will be easy to clean and it seems to work just fine.

So, close the doors snug and then turn the numbers dial towards 9?

Looks like E-1. Thanks for all the info. It will be easy to clean and it seems to work just fine.

Bill, with your limited knowledge on safety razors, don't forget to put in a blade! :lol:

Glen

Maybe you are joking? Just to be sure..... no, you don't change the dial with the doors closed. Loosen before adjusting.

Nice find Bill....as for the thumb & forefinger thing....I'm a new str8t shaver, and my knowledge is limited.....but I AM learning...so you will too. DE's are really nice, and can be quite addictive as well.:biggrin:

Top Bottom