What's new

Ideas for a rebuilding of a 4 sided paddle strop

I've got an old paddle strop I picked up at an antique store that needs new leather.
I was wondering what you guys would recommend if you could put your "dream" strop together.

I don't know much about strops other than how to use the one I have!

Should I get 4 different kinds of leather? Do certain leathers or surfaces go better with a pasted strop?

In what direction should I go?
proxy.php

I have my small 4 side paddle (8 x 1.25 sides) set up with 3 sides with horse hide and 1 side with a hard felt piece infused with .5 diamond spray. 1 of the HH I left plain, 1 HH has the old TI white strop paste and 1 HH with .5 CrOx.

I use the TI paste side for initial smoothing, then I take the harder steel blades to the diamond felt / the softer steel blades to the CrOx, 5 to 7 passes each and finish 20 passes on the plain HH, making sure to wipe the blade in between. It seems to work well for me.

Is that your computer keyboard? Very cool.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Ah, have you read Honed's nano grit stropping thread? You will need to make your own mind up on the compounds you want to use, but if it were me I would try to go with a heavy draw leather all the way to a light draw, so maybe latigo, bridle, kangaroo and horsehide...it would be pricy for sure, but man, what a strop!! The low cost option would be Larry Andro's smooth bridle leather on all sides, with .25 and .1 CBN and .05 and .025 diamond spray on it...

Top Bottom