What's new

Ideal shaving mug for straights?

What would be your ideal shaving mug for straight razor use? Is their a feature you would like to have on your current mug that would make it easier or better for your daily straight use?

Good question Dean!!!

I do have a few but in the cold weather I love using my Karl Langner, that's my go-to scuttle but in the summer I face lather. Must say I have thought about using it with iced water aswell.

20191031_140742.jpg20191031_140653.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Any mug will do. I prefer ceramic so I can microwave a puck of meltable soap in it. I am partial to larger mugs but the old Old Spice and Burma Shave mugs are classy, as well as apothecary type mugs with the knob handle. Hey, do it like you feel it. You can even do without a mug if you use stick soaps like Arko. Some guys like bowls, especially for creams. A big mug is like the best of both mug and bowl.

This is the one I have had for years. It is exceptionally crafted and has matching lather bowl and tumbler if you like.
C3447D83-AE6E-43A0-A7DD-293C928178AC.jpeg

I have three plus my hand and my face. Not going to bother with a picture of my ugly mug or my hand. The red plastic bowl is used on trips and when I want a cool shave. The Old Spice mug is used to hold soap for hand and face lathering. The ceramic mug is for warm lather shaves. It floats in the sink's hot water and retains heat well too. The Old Spice mug cost a few bucks. The other two were pocket change. They work for me and provide some variety.

Now Ian and Rugger007 bowls are works of art.

Attachments

• 20180218_164308.jpg
    20180218_164308.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • DSC_6079 - Red Imp Beauty Shot.jpg
    DSC_6079 - Red Imp Beauty Shot.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_6335 - Lo-Fi'd Torrey.jpg
    DSC_6335 - Lo-Fi'd Torrey.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
What are you intending the mug to do?

I use one to soak my brush. I keep my soaps in lidded containers and I face lather. I have what amounts to a brush scuttle in storage. It was nice in cold weather to keep the brush warm between passes.

What would be your ideal shaving mug for straight razor use? Is their a feature you would like to have on your current mug that would make it easier or better for your daily straight use?

a nice outward angle or curve, about 4-5" in diameter, and about 3-5" tall with a nice splayed handle seems to be the norm

The one I'm using fits that description, but oddly enough it is angled in from the bottom, not out, and I find it "traps" the lather quite nicely. Once you get used to it, it's fantastic, and I've never seen one like it. As soon as I saw it I knew it was a shaving bowl, since I've not seen the distinct cone handle on a regular bowl for anything, tried it, and love it.

The brush splays out into the wide (5 1/2") bottom portion and the top portion is about 4" at the opening, with a classic "artisan" handle, that inward curve traps the lather, and the height (2") is just about perfect. I wrap my fingers around the handle so I don't constantly hit the side, but you could go to town with a cheap omega handle.

I thought it would be a good interim lather bowl, but it's now my go to.

Texture for me is a must however. The one I use has a grit in the glaze, but gentle ridges, swirls, or lines would also be good.

It would be made in a material which can hold plenty of thermal energy which also absorbs microwaves. It should have some form of simple insulation to keep heat longer.

I currently use a smaller mug floating in a larger mug of hot water.

I use the same shaving bowl for both straight razor shaves and DE shaves.

Mine is the mortar bowl from a ceramic mortar and pestle set. They are available in various sizes; mine fits perfectly in the palm of my hand. The walls of the bowl are thick, so they hold heat to keep the lather warm. Since the mortar is designed for grinding purposes, the bottom and sides of the bowl are rough. This provides an ideal surface for generating sheer when building a lather.

Top Bottom