What's new

I wonder why?

Hello, I am new here at B&B. I am also new to Str8 shaving (1 month to be exact). Here is my question. I bought a Col Conk/DOVO Str8, strop, 4000,8000 waterstone and all the necessary pre and post shave products.

Everything was going fairly well...until 2 days ago I purchased a second razor. The EXACT same one Col Conk/DOVO. Same everything execpt the way it shaves! It is fantastic, boarderline easy compared to the other razor. The difference is very significant. Why? I strop the exact same..hone the same way..pre and post shave the same way, yet the 2nd razor shaves so much better. It has to be sharper I would assume but both blades are treated the same way and both can easily cut thru a free hanging hair.:eek:

Is this common for razors to differ this much even when they are "the exact same"? If it is then I have just learned that it is very important to get the right one!:001_huh:

Thanks in advance for any imput. :biggrin:

Greetings,

Were your razors honed prior to using them? New razors are not shave ready out of the box. If not, you may want to have the first professionally honed.

It's my belief that no two razors are identical. Honemeisters with years of experience are capable of obtaining near identical results but the razors themselves are a constantly changing medium with each having a unique shaving personality.

The great opportunity that has been afforded to you is a razor that has revealed a higher level of shaving performance. This is generally the result of how it has been prepared. A poorly honed razor is still capable of splitting hairs - that is the starting point. Pay close attention as to how the hair reacts when the blade touches it. You want the hair to pop when it barely touches the edge. It should do this at both edges and the middle of the blade from both sides.

Being that you have just begun your journey into the realm of straight razors I would recommend that you obtain an inexpensive "test" razor to learn the different variables involved with properly honing a razor. This will enable you to experiment until you are able to duplicate the edge of your newly acquired razor without damaging your more expensive razors.

While the current stones, powders, etc. have decreased the learning curve, it still boils down to skill. Don't rush this part of your straight razor experience. For me learning how to properly hone and maintain my razors was part of the initial mystique and continues to be a large enjoyment factor of shaving with straight razors. I am continually refining my technique and taking advantage of modern products.

Last edited:
Thank you Rik,
No the razors were not honed from the start. I was the one who first honed both razors. I have alot to learn about razors but have been sharpening knives by hand for almost 20 years. I realize they are completely different from razors. That must be it..I can't think of any other differences other than I oil the first razor every time after the shave and with the 2nd one I only wipe it down with a specially treated cloth with mineral oil. One last difference would be the first is kept closed in a coffin while the 2nd is kept open in a drawer. Could this really make that big of a difference?

From your last post, I'm convinced that the first razor's edge needs to be properly honed. The other variables you mentioned would have a minimal effect on the edge.

You were fortunate the second razor was so different in that it provided first hand experience on the importance of proper honing. I would venture to guess that if you have the first razor properly honed you may see an equal or greater improvement over the second. Doing this would not only give you a true mark to shoot for with your practice razor but will also enable you to focus on your shaving skills knowing that you are using a properly prepared tool. Once properly honed, using your strop, you should be able to maintain that edge for 2-3 months, enabling you to develop your honing skills.

Your knife sharpening skills will serve you well and likely increase your acquiring the proper skills for straight razors. My personal experience of sharpening woodworking chisels and planes aided in my move to straight razors. Unlike knives, chisels, etc. the edge on a straight razor has a much smaller tolerance of deviation. The slightest variation of downward pressure can have a dramatic effect on the end result.

You have an advantage from your years of sharpening knives in that you've experienced the satisfaction from creating a superior edge. As your honing skills improve you will relive the satisfaction of taking your sharpening skills to another level.

You have the added advantage with Joel's Interactive Guide to Straight Razor Shaving. Being equipped with excellent data, that is easy to follow, is a powerful tool.

You are well on your way to experiencing an incredible straight razor shave.

sounds like one of your razors came from Dovo with at least a good edge and the other may have been finished near quitting time on a Friday, even though you have some experience sharpening knives as mentioned razors have a much less room for error I recommend sending at least 1 out to a honemeister so that way there you at least know what a properly sharpened straight should feel like and you will have a benchmark for when you choose to do it, there is a list at top of honing forum of honemeisters

Man, you need to get yourself a pasted strop. Your hone gets your edge down to 3 micron, I have a four sided pasted strop side #1 is 1 micron, side 2 is .5 micron, side three is .25 micron. This is what you use when your feel your razor is getting dull.

Man, you need to get yourself a pasted strop. Your hone gets your edge down to 3 micron, I have a four sided pasted strop side #1 is 1 micron, side 2 is .5 micron, side three is .25 micron. This is what you use when your feel your razor is getting dull.

He has mentioned that he owns a strop. Unfortunately a pasted strop will not remedy a poorly honed edge. My first ten razors were honed by some of the best honemeizers in the country. Not only did this enable me to focus on my shaving technique but it made it strikingly clear as to the true properties of a shave ready razor. Too many gents give up on shaving with a str8 due to an inferior edge.

Those razors gave me something to strive for while working with my practice razor. Granted I went a bit overboard using microscopes, loupes, and other tools to provide immediate feedback (one can only shave so much a day with experimental razors) but my point is this, you cannot achieve what you do not know:
Excerpt from Section 4 - What is a shave ready razor?

THE most important key to your success with a straight razor, is starting with a properly honed, keen edge that someone (with ideally years of experience) has both sharpened and test shaved with. Simply buying a new razor, or picking up an ebay razor – is NOT sufficient, and will NOT yield good results. Also, don’t be fooled, honing is NOT easy, hones are quite expensive, and you do not want to start off handicapped – not knowing if your razor is sharp enough. You will have a miserable time attempting to hone your first razor, and you will almost surely fail.

My first self honed razors split hairs and provided utilitarian shaves. The razors honed from the honmeizers were a dream to use - literally night and day. Had I not experienced the difference, I would not be using str8 as my primary razors.

Bear, My first words should have been WELCOME TO B&B!
Feel free to use your first name as you are among friends.

If you are wanting to move your shaving experience to the next level study Joel's Interactive Guide to Straight Razor Shaving. PM me and I will find you a suitable test razor. CrankyMoose has provided you with a list of honmeisers. If you are having difficultly finding one, let me know and I will work to get you in touch with someone. You've demonstrated your desire through your equipment investments, now let's get you to the point where you can hit the ground running and experience an incredible straight razor shave! :001_smile

Last edited:
Thank you all for the info. I do believe that I will send one of my razors off to a honmeiser to find out exactlly what I should be striving for. Once again, thank you for sharring your knowledge.

Excellent decision.
You are well on your way to experiencing an incredible lasting shave!
Please keep us informed.

Top Bottom