What's new

I want a hone or set of hones on a budget

I have a budget, let's say $100, and mean up to $150. This budget is hard. We are not spending more than $150 on rocks to rub steel on this year.

I have a number of low grit carborundum hones up to 1000. The 1000 is freshly lapped, but the lower grits have varying levels of sway to them. They do not lap easily on sand paper either.

I have a washita (Arkansas soft)

Unknown rubber hone. It used to have a paper attached, but not for years. It is quite fine and fast cutting.

I have a ceramic plug that has been used as a hone for decades. I lapped it too. It is a lot softer than the washita, but a very fine particle.

Keeping in my budget and working with (or without) the stones I own, and realizing that I am _learning_ razor sharpening, and I am also learning straight shaving. I had my first two razors professionally honed (and the snow is holding them up) and plan to get a couple of cheap cheap razors (hopefully ebay) to practice on.

What rocks would you get?

The Norton 4k/8k is popular, add in the Chinese 12k as a finisher, and a prep stone and that is about $100, maybe a bit more.

I can get a coticule and prep stone for about $150, but it will be smallish.

Other options?

Thanks
Phil

I have a budget, let's say $100, and mean up to $150. This budget is hard. We are not spending more than $150 on rocks to rub steel on this year.

I have a number of low grit carborundum hones up to 1000. The 1000 is freshly lapped, but the lower grits have varying levels of sway to them. They do not lap easily on sand paper either.

Unknown rubber hone. It used to have a paper attached, but not for years. It is quite fine and fast cutting.

I have a ceramic plug that has been used as a hone for decades. I lapped it too. It is a lot softer than the washita, but a very fine particle.

Keeping in my budget and working with (or without) the stones I own, and realizing that I am _learning_ razor sharpening, and I am also learning straight shaving. I had my first two razors professionally honed (and the snow is holding them up) and plan to get a couple of cheap cheap razors (hopefully ebay) to practice on.

The Norton 4k/8k is popular, add in the Chinese 12k as a finisher, and a prep stone and that is about $100, maybe a bit more.

Other options?

Thanks
Phil

I'd get the Norton combo and 12K/coticule you cited + try to find a Swaty in good shape (synthetic barber's hone). Sometimes the Swaty is all you need. You can probably find one under $50 (hopefully for around $30). The others are recommended by many (see the "Why Straight Shaving Is for Me" link in my signature) and more or less cover the necessities.

If you're beginning then I'd recommend the Norton combo ($79) and a 6x2 standard coticule ~$60.

You have a good selection of variation of use. The coticule can finish after the 8K and then you can learn to use the coticule methods.

I would just get a coticule and spend the remaining money on practice razors to hone. It will take you some time, but I started on a coticule and once you get the hang of it, it is really easy.

Legion

Staff member

Other options?

Thanks
Phil

I think you have answered your own question there.

With the Norton, you'll want something to lap it regularly, which is another thing to consider if you choose to go that route.

Another less expensive option is the Belgian Blue Whetstone (BBW). A coticule will also do. Neither of these require lapping and both will outlive you. If you are concerned about size (which is less of a concern once you learn to hone), an 8"x2" BBW can be had for ~$65. Coticules and BBW are used in similar fashions, with the exception that bevel setting may be easier on a coticule. Both will replace everything above a ~500-1000 stone (despite what the older "conventional wisdom" says about either stone).

You could also try lapping films or Spyderco hones. Both are nice. Neither need flattening.

Yeah for 90 bucks you should snag it. I've used the King, it's a decent stone. I now use DMT Fine and Extra Fine for my bevels, but for 90 bucks you'll get a lot of bang for your buck.

I sent a PM to ask if there is any prep stones in that set. Lapping on sandpaper is not a problem, I understand that the norton and king lap fast.

If only my course synthetics lap fast. I think I will use sidewalk on them come summer.

Phil

sale pending to someone else

Last edited:
If you're not going to be removing chips from a blade and are just going to be dealing with blades that are in tact and dull. Get a Coti, I picked mine up for <100. Then spend the rest of your budget on a few decent but dull razors and sharpen them up. :001_smile

For everything not including chip repair or setting bevels. Get an 8KEE DMT and make some paddle strops either out of balsa or leather on balsa and get 1.0, 0.5, and 0.25 micron diamond pastes. I had a 4 sided paddle that I used but that would add a little over your budget. Don't forget to lap the balsa. I kept my 2 razors going for over a year with this setup. It was originally recommended by Joel and it worked very well. I learned how to shave and I learned how to go about approaching honing. It gives you time to learn what you want to do and what you really "need"!

I have been sharpening knives for a long time but razors take a very light touch and take some getting used to.

Take Care,
Richard

Hi Phil,
Sorry you were 3rd in line for my synths - great value set!

Jarrod @ SuperiorShave will give you first rate service. I bought a few razors, my select grade coti and my DMT plate from him and his pricing, communication, packaging and shipping times were all top notch.

If you're beginning then I'd recommend the Norton combo ($79) and a 6x2 standard coticule ~$60.

You have a good selection of variation of use. The coticule can finish after the 8K and then you can learn to use the coticule methods.

With the Norton, you'll want something to lap it regularly, which is another thing to consider if you choose to go that route.

Another less expensive option is the Belgian Blue Whetstone (BBW). A coticule will also do. Neither of these require lapping and both will outlive you. If you are concerned about size (which is less of a concern once you learn to hone), an 8"x2" BBW can be had for ~$65. Coticules and BBW are used in similar fashions, with the exception that bevel setting may be easier on a coticule. Both will replace everything above a ~500-1000 stone (despite what the older "conventional wisdom" says about either stone).

You could also try lapping films or Spyderco hones. Both are nice. Neither need flattening.

So with a coticule/bbw I would not *REALLY* need anything between my 1k and the coticule?

Phil

Top Bottom