What's new

I told my friend that I collect Gillette razors, he assumed I collect straights too and he gave me this for Christmas. Am I happy or extremely happy?

He didn't tell me anything about it other than it was old. Will you gentlemen fill me in?
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg

How many cuts are in the learning curve on average? :)

If you're very careful you shouldn't get anything too bad. My very first shave (half-DE shavette) I managed to get right round my face with no nicks.. until my very last stroke when I hit a mole. If you're careless you will get blood.

I think it took me a few weeks to start to feel comfortable in the sense that I was focussing on shaving hair instead of simply trying not to cut myself. A mild edge helps a great deal. Much more forgiving.

Skin-stretching is very important. And a nice, slick soap. Tabac was my lucky straight-razor soap while I was learning. I'd never be without some.

The blade must always be moving if it's touching your skin! And never, never move it sideways. Push cuts are bad enough with a razor-sharp edge. Slicing cuts don't bear thinking about.

Stick with WTG until you can do that without nicks. Maybe leave the whole nose-chin area as well. That's the hardest part to do at first. Cheeks are easy: reach over your head with the other hand and pull your skin taught.

The neck is surprisingly easy too: if you throw your head back the skin should pull tight. You can put a finger either side of your Adam's apple if you need more.

I'd recommend using both hands as soon as you dare. It really doesn't take long to learn and I think it's much easier to shave this way (right hand for right-hand side of face, left hand for left-hand).

Sometimes I wonder if handling a razor isn't the most dangerous bit simply because you're not being as careful as you are when shaving. I've seen some horrific cuts from dropped razors. You have to be very disciplined handling a sharp edge.

It's a really nice way to shave though. Come the apocalypse, when the shops are bare, straight razor users will still be clean shaven.

Last edited:
Nice! If you decide to give it a try, this is a perfect starter and should serve you very well. As others have said, be sure to get it honed by someone who knows what they are doing. The only other thing you would need to get started is a strop. Enjoy!

Gents in the last hour I discovered a lot about this razor.

My friend rented a room in 2008 to a gentleman named Cecil Frank Johnston Sr. who passed away in his sleep one night. Frank's relatives flew in to collect his belongings but they missed one item. 12 years passed with several room mates in and out using the same bedroom and the closet for their belongings. My friend cleaned out the room recently and found the razor in a box in the corner of the closet. He recalled that Frank told him his late father was a barber in the early 1900's. Apparently the razor was a family keepsake passed down to his son. My friend had never seen it before he discovered it in the closet last month. Amazingly no other room mate discovered it over the years.

I am the curious type so I researched the name and found the obituary. Cecil Frank Johnston Sr. has a son, Cecil Frank Johnston Jr. who is alive and well somewhere. The razor belonged to and was used everyday by his grandfather. It's a family heirloom. My friend had no clue it was left behind. The grandson may not even know it exists. How cool is that?

My plan is to find Cecil Frank Johnston Jr. and return the razor his grandfather used almost a century ago. I like gifts that keep on giving. I hope I can find him.

I would love to keep it but no way my conscience will let me now that I know it's significance.

Last edited:

My friend rented a room in 2008 to a gentleman named Cecil Frank Johnston Sr. who passed away in his sleep one night. Frank's relatives flew in to collect his belongings but they missed one item. 12 years passed with several room mates in and out using the same bedroom and the closet for their belongings. My friend cleaned out the room recently and found the razor in a box in the corner of the closet. He recalled that Frank told him his late father was a barber in the early 1900's. Apparently the razor was a family keepsake passed down to his son. My friend had never seen it before he discovered it in the closet last month. Amazingly no other room mate discovered it over the years.

I am the curious type so I researched the name and found the obituary. Cecil Frank Johnston Sr. has a son, Cecil Frank Johnston Jr. who is alive and well somewhere. The razor belonged to and was used everyday by his grandfather. It's a family heirloom. My friend had no clue it was left behind. The grandson may not even know it exists. How cool is that?

My plan is to find Cecil Frank Johnston Jr. and return the razor his grandfather used almost a century ago. I like gifts that keep on giving. I hope I can find him.

I would love to keep it but no way my conscience will let me now that I know it's significance.
A very gentlemanly and honorable act. Well done.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A very cool story, and I would feel the same way about getting it returned to the “rightful” owner.

If this has gotten you interested in SR shaving, I’d gladly do a PIF and send you a razor from my collection, it won’t be quite as nice as the one you have, but I can guarantee it’ll have a nice sharp, smooth edge.

This way the grandson gets the razor, and you still get to experiment with a straight at no cost.

A very cool story, and I would feel the same way about getting it returned to the “rightful” owner.

If this has gotten you interested in SR shaving, I’d gladly do a PIF and send you a razor from my collection, it won’t be quite as nice as the one you have, but I can guarantee it’ll have a nice sharp, smooth edge.

This way the grandson gets the razor, and you still get to experiment with a straight at no cost.
Very classy offer. Well done.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Yer a standup guy, my friend.

WRT the "learning curve" I had a chuckle. Recently started learning shavettes and barber razors with a Razorine and a Parker SRX. I put the Razorine aside for a bit -- I lost a bit of blood on it but the Parker 1/2 DE shavette seems to be more forgiving so far.

O.H.

That is a very gracious offer. I'll post here when I find the grandson. May not be ready to try a straight yet. The below Razorine comment from @Old Hippie explains it. I got one of those and etched the cap. First shave was great, next one my wrist flexed somehow and...

Yer a standup guy, my friend.

WRT the "learning curve" I had a chuckle. Recently started learning shavettes and barber razors with a Razorine and a Parker SRX. I put the Razorine aside for a bit -- I lost a bit of blood on it but the Parker 1/2 DE shavette seems to be more forgiving so far.

O.H.
Funny you should mention the Razorine. That one may have pushed me back from trying straights for a while until I can get the image of all that blood on a white towel out of my mind. :)
IMG_0205.JPG

Changed my mind about trying a straight. I'll try a sharp one after I get the hang of holding and maneuvering a blunt one.
13 bucks shipped from Classic Shaving. And I'm going to buy some blood red towels.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I don't know... if the grandson cuts himself badly with it, he might sue. Better send it to me for safe and proper disposal.

Seriously, very cool of you. I don't think I could give up a minty DD like that. Even the coffin is minty.

I don't know... if the grandson cuts himself badly with it, he might sue. Better send it to me for safe and proper disposal.
Seriously, very cool of you. I don't think I could give up a minty DD like that. Even the coffin is minty.
Coffin is the term for a straight razor case? Cool.

I just had a thought that since Cecil Frank Johnston Jr. was 58 in 2008, he would be 71 today. His son could be 50 years old now and have a son of his own, who could have a son. That means that the razor could wind up with a great great grandson if my search is successful. Man how the years fly by. This mission has me hooked.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Definitely some goodwill happening around here. Something we all need. Hope it all works out and things land where they should. As far as SR and cuts....not a certainty as already expressed, but a distinct possibility as I can attest.

Looks like the perfect entry drug. By the time you’ve bought the stones and strop, it may be the most expensive (and rewarding) gift you’ve ever received!

Received my first straight for Christmas, purchased from vendor who also supposedly also hones razors but when used fir first shave 3 cuts and razor certainly was not shave ready

With a forum member help, purchase a 12k, 8 k stone and now she is polsilver like smooth and sharp

Only on my 8th shave using a new Thiers Issard razor,,, still learning but certainly a learning curb
So much I have learned versus DE shaving
This forum is a life saver

Top Bottom