What's new

I Thought I Was Cured

I had a bad case of brush AD and went through a period of mass acquisition - mostly Ever Ready handles. I had stayed away from this forum and the 'bay in an effort to not slide back into the habit and I thought I could just take a quick peek. Dang! Now I have to find an ER 150 red handle. Arrrrrggggghhhhh.

It's definitely a monkey on my back. I just received this Made Rite brush from an eBay auction ($8.50 + shipping!) and I'm a little disappointed. I think the brush is new, unused, and the bristles have never touched water! I was hoping to spend some time fixing it up and replacing the knot, but it's sacrilege to rip this thing apart. I think I'm just going to use it, let the bristles break in, and see if I want to keep it in my rotation as-is. It's even more beautiful in person than it is in the pictures.
proxy.php

I saw that one! It looks perfect as is. So those are casting lines and not cracks, huh? Curious to know how it performs. The only old bristle brush I have used had nice, soft feel to it. Lathers soaps and creams well. Although the hairs are standing straight up, I'll bet it has some flop to it.

I saw that one! It looks perfect as is. So those are casting lines and not cracks, huh? Curious to know how it performs. The only old bristle brush I have used had nice, soft feel to it. Lathers soaps and creams well. Although the hairs are standing straight up, I'll bet it has some flop to it.

They're not casting marks but are actually very shallow cracks...even though the brush appears unused, I suspect these cracks develop as the Bakelite/Catalin(?) ages. They're not open cracks and you can't feel them even if you run your fingernail across them. There's a similar one on the opposite side that doesn't extend the full height of the base. They don't seem to penetrate more than a millimeter or two from the surface. From my previous experience with similar handles, they don't seem to affect the integrity or strength of the handle. They just add some interesting contrast and visual character.

I'll probably lather it up this weekend and see how floppy it gets, but at least now while dry, it's got quite a bit of backbone.

Top Bottom