What's new

I picked up some handles to restore

I think I will keep the Gillette travel brush original, I gave it a tryout and it is not bad for a travel brush and only the second horse hair brush I've tried. I also bought some other brushes from the chap, he had a box of 108 brushes but I only really want 78 of them :).

sorry for my low light pictures.

Attachments

• $Brushes to restore.jpg
    $Brushes to restore.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 189
I usually remove the knot first, then clean up the handle with the knot out, these are in very good condition so basically some plastic polish although I have cleaned some up with Brasso. Pretty easy really. I like to fix up the lettering if possible while I'm doing this. Once the handle is done I replace the knot, the big question now is do I buy 70 or so badger knots or maybe some cheaper boar knots? These will be mainly for display, I guess I have lots of time to think about it.

Nice pick up. Did you really buy 78 of them? That would definitely be Brush AD!

I bought 15 brushes in total, but will most likely get the 78 over time, I kind of like brushes and I have things that he collects, so a bit of horse trading. It will be the knots that will break me in the end. A number of the brushes have knots just fine for display, and if there are duplicates maybe I can trade them for knots.

There must still be thousands of these out there! Two favorites are the butterscotch and black and the travel brush. Is the travel brush shedding at all?

My problem is I like the all, I have several of the ones like the butterscotch and black they came in green and red as well maybe more. The Gillette has a couple hairs out of place from been thrown in the box but otherwise is like new, the knot is tight. I quite like the little Ever Ready in the center. I posted pictures of the other brushes I bought here. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/257892-Picked-up-some-Vintage-Brushes

Can any tell me about Coates Brushes, it was the first time I came across them.

The Gillette has a couple hairs out of place from been thrown in the box but otherwise is like new, the knot is tight.

Someone here recently had problems with the upper part of the handle breaking down while removing the knot in the same brush. Maybe it is best to avoid it, polish the handle and use as is. Looks like a fine knot!

I know a guy..Fido in the UK restores brushes as this is his business.. New Forest Brushes I think is his business name.

When I look at a brush to buy I’m visualizing how it will fit in the hand and usually end up with a version of the same style. These antique stores often look at you slack jawed when you tell them you are buying it to replace the knot. “You can DO that?” they say.

With a straight face I describe cutting off the old knot, reaming it out and then - one by one - inserting the new hairs into the wet glue inside the handle. :w00t:

Then I let ‘em off the hook with a good laugh.

Last edited:
If you take one back in restored, they will start looking for you. I have developed a good relationship with one dealer by doing that. Also I don't think there are a lot of people buying old brushes.

That little EverReady looks like a faceted bone handle brush that belonged to my grandfather, that I recently had restored by Rudy Vey. Is yours made of bone?

Unfortunately no. Do you have a picture posted of yours? I would like to see it, it sounds interesting.

My problem is I like the all, I have several of the ones like the butterscotch and black they came in green and red as well maybe more. The Gillette has a couple hairs out of place from been thrown in the box but otherwise is like new, the knot is tight. I quite like the little Ever Ready in the center. I posted pictures of the other brushes I bought here. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/257892-Picked-up-some-Vintage-Brushes

Can any tell me about Coates Brushes, it was the first time I came across them.

I can tell you this about Coates...I'm insanely jealous of those two beauties...WOW. Does he have anymore of those in his magic box? I would happily take one off of his hands!

Unfortunately no. Do you have a picture posted of yours? I would like to see it, it sounds interesting.

I don't have a photo uploaded, but Rudy posted them on this thread, at entry #503, if you want to take a look. I've been using the two brushes he restored for almost a month and honestly don't know why I would ever need another. Except, of course, because there are so many other great looking brushes I'd like to try.

Those are both very nice brushes, and you are right we really only need one or two. I have a number of brushes I really only use one at home and one at the cabin, for the last couple of weeks I have been using a Gillette Knack razor, I wanted to try a different blade, and I had just changed the blades in my regular razor rotation. I always figured the Knack was about as low as you could go, but it is giving me great shaves.

Great looking dogs in your avatar.

I can tell you this about Coates...I'm insanely jealous of those two beauties...WOW. Does he have anymore of those in his magic box? I would happily take one off of his hands!

They were the first thing I grabbed, I still haven't found out much about them, one looks turned the other I can't see any evidence.

Top Bottom