What's new

I need Help....

I really want to get into straights. I cant stop looking, thinking or reading about straights. The real problem is that I dont own a straight. I keep looking at them on Ebay but I'm so scared to buy one in fear that I'll get burned. I have very little insight on what to get.

They ones that I like might have a bad blade and then I lost money that I really dont have. My wife is a frugal woman the opposite of me. If I spend money she wants results! When I started DE shaving I got into trouble alot but not so bad lately as I smell great and my face is BBS.

I bought a Gillette Slim as my 2nd razor for $30 and it had a bent safety bar she was not happy. So I guess what I'm getting to is how do I choose a decent old blade? I love cleaning old razors so apperance isnt everything if it will clean up. I just want a solid blade to help me learn on and find my way.

I would like to spend $20-$30 on a nice old straight if anyone knows where I can find one please HELP!

Thanks,Matt

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I really want to get into straights. I cant stop looking, thinking or reading about straights. The real problem is that I dont own a straight. I keep looking at them on Ebay but I'm so scared to buy one in fear that I'll get burned. I have very little insight on what to get.

They ones that I like might have a bad blade and then I lost money that I really dont have. My wife is a frugal woman the opposite of me. If I spend money she wants results! When I started DE shaving I got into trouble alot but not so bad lately as I smell great and my face is BBS.

I bought a Gillette Slim as my 2nd razor for $30 and it had a bent safety bar she was not happy. So I guess what I'm getting to is how do I choose a decent old blade? I love cleaning old razors so apperance isnt everything if it will clean up. I just want a solid blade to help me learn on and find my way.

I would like to spend $20-$30 on a nice old straight if anyone knows where I can find one please HELP!

Thanks,Matt

Matt, your best bet for highest quality for the least money is right here on our own Buy Sell Trade section.
The folks here are pretty straight forward, look for someone with a higher post count who has been around for a while and you can feel pretty safe that you're getting a good deal - and if the thread says the blade is shave ready it is.

Whippeddog looks great thanks. I am hoping to find one soon on bst in my budget. What can I look for on Ebay to better my chances of finding a good blade? Thanks for the replies!

For the uninitiated on ebay, you can look for your browser's close button. There really is no better advice than to avoid ebay until you know what you're looking for. Take the above advice, stick with it for a few months and you'll soon be better educated about ebay offerings; what to look for and what to avoid.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
For the uninitiated on ebay, you can look for your browser's close button. There really is no better advice than to avoid ebay until you know what you're looking for. Take the above advice, stick with it for a few months and you'll soon be better educated about ebay offerings; what to look for and what to avoid.

+2

There is just so much information that it is not feasible to put it in a post format so that you are equipped to avoid the pitfalls.

Many folks go ahead and do it anyway, some luck out and some don't.

Do yourself a favor and do a bit of studying up before you hit the bay.

I got my razor from whippeddog for $23. Right now on his website he doesn't show any razors for that price but if you ask him, he might have some that he hasn't posted yet for cheaper.

Hows that razor look? Thats a great price I'm very interested. Do you have a pic of it?

Before you buy or do anything read all you can here and check out the Wiki at SRP.

When you're ready to buy get a vintage piece from the buy sell forum.

Matt,

Best of luck! My suggestion is to start a journal and post your first 50 shaves or so...alot of folks will chime in about your progress and it will keep you motivated :thumbup:

Hows that razor look? Thats a great price I'm very interested. Do you have a pic of it?

Yeah I have two pics in my shave diary on this same page of the forum. It's a couple posts in on the first page of the topic.

Could someone point out a few good razors that I should get from whippeddog.com for me? I want to get the best value I can. thanks

Any of Larry's razors would be a good starting razor. I personally favor the 5/8 but any one of them can get you started in the right way.

I bought two from Larry and both had great edges on them. Wouldn't hurt to give him a call either, great guy to chat with.

Could someone point out a few good razors that I should get from whippeddog.com for me? I want to get the best value I can. thanks

Larry,

You have to go with a razor you would like...but most would probably suggest a 5/8 or 6/8 quarter-full hollow as a good starter. Dont get a wedge or spike point and you'll be fine.

They all should be good. Just send him an email saying you're new and tell him your price range.

Top Bottom