What's new

I Love Wyoming But It's The Black Hole of Shaving.Maybe

I wouldn't call Anchorage "densely populated". But estimates say we usually have around 2000 Moose in the Anchorage Bowl at any given time. And this time of year a plague of Biblical proportions consisting of mosquitoes that can stand flat footed and enjoy sexual congress with them.

Last edited:
U

Currently this GIGANTIC STATE has a population of just over 700,000 souls. Just under fifty percent of the entire GIGANTIC STATE population live in the Anchorage Bowl.

Apropos of nothing in particular, you cannot drive to Alaska's stunningly beautiful Capital City, Juneau.

There is no road to it. You either fly in or sail in regardless if you are the elected Governmental Officials preparing for the session of the States Legislature, or a fisherman coming home to reacquaint his wife to marital bliss.

So true. Years ago I had a hearing in Juneau. I landed in Anchorage four days before thinking I had plenty of time to get to Juneau. For three days Juneau was fogged in and every flight was cancelled. I barely made the hearing in time. And then after three days there fog rolled in and we could not get out.

I am a native son of Cody. Buffalo Bill is my patron saint.

Lane

I have driven through most of Wyoming and it is indeed awe inspiring. I remember driving the tractor trailer and seeing the cattle on the open ranges 'part like the Red Sea' as your truck rambled through the herd on the road.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Todd; I don't dispute anything you said in your OP. Wyoming has been my chosen home since 1966. Shaving soap? Walgreens and Walmart quit carrying it in my area years ago and they are 85 miles away from me. I can get DE blades in my small town at Family Dollar and the grocery store. I am going to approach the grocery store owner to see if his midwest warehouse has any Williams or any other soap.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Nashville is high on my list of possible relocation sites when I flee Alaska and the onset of Winter in a couple 9 months. Great music, women, food, medical facilities, and a significantly lower cost of living. Does it snow there? Are there Fireflies in the Summer?

Healthcare is the #1 industry here. Music is also kind of a big deal - something like 270 venues just in a 2-3 block radius downtown. As far as food - I relocated from the Chicago area, IMO the food here sucks. Definitely will not find any good Mexican, I have not seen one hot dog stand, zero Italian beef shops or Polish sausage. There are a few decent BBQ and hot wing spots though.
The only cost of living difference I've seen is cheaper homes for sale and rent. Also no state income tax comes out of your paycheck, which does make a big difference.
The price of groceries is outrageous - but that's all over the US. Oh and because there is no state income tax the sales tax runs between 8-10%. So really you win some and loose some.

It doesn't snow at all, almost never. So while you are in Alaska and they laugh at a foot of snow and go about their business - 1 inch of snow here will shut the city down. No joke. Schools will close, business with close, grocery stores will be sacked. It's comical to me being from Chicago, but I totally get it. The best part is that one inch of snow will be completely melted by Noon.
Last year we had two "snow storms" - I'm talking breaking news, snow storm warnings, school closures, local news stations in a panic breaking in every half hour to show the "4Warn Radar". Each snow event was a dusting and it was melted by 10am. Winters are very mild by my standards. Temps in the 20-40's, more rain than snow. Heck there were a few days last winter it was in the 60's.

Summer fireflies are abundant but mostly in the "country". Where I live now in the city I never see them. Where I lived back in 2012 I could have packaged and sold them.
The Summer here is HOT and HUMID. Mostly HUMID. 85+ temps with 60-90% humidity. 100% humidity days are not unheard of.

Todd; I don't dispute anything you said in your OP. Wyoming has been my chosen home since 1966. Shaving soap? Walgreens and Walmart quit carrying it in my area years ago and they are 85 miles away from me. I can get DE blades in my small town at Family Dollar and the grocery store. I am going to approach the grocery store owner to see if his midwest warehouse has any Williams or any other soap.
It sounds like we come from the same town, just the other side of the range. Those are the same two places I can get blades around here, and the Family Dollar is fairly new. Except you're a little closer to a Walmart. I bet the grocery store carries the unbranded Personnas, have they switched to the Israeli made ones there too?

Walgreens and Walmart quit carrying it in my area years ago and they are 85 miles away from me.
Yes, it's a little drive, but isn't it fun stopping at all the Dairy Queens along the way? :laugh:

Some great responses guys. The distance thing is something many people cannot wrap their heads around. I once worked with a wonderful lady from Stratford on Avon, England. She lived in southern Missouri. After getting to Kansas she told me they drove across "that bloody state all day. And Denver was still over 150 miles further away!".

I also get a chuckle out of the weather thing. We get it all here in Cowtown. 95-105F in the summer with very humid conditions. It is nothing in late spring to have humidity levels in the 60-80% range and highs in the upper 80s to lower 90s. We had such a day yesterday. About 87F and humid enough that everything you touched outside felt damp. Even though I was born and raised here it is starting to take a big toll on me physically each summer. It just beats me down. I handle winter much better. We have temps here that can fall as low as 5-20 below zero in hard winters but at least it is very dry here during those stretches. Temps like that are not really common but they do happen. But we have multiple days of zero to 10F and howling winds. The snow thing is funny too. We are getting a bit wussified here with it as well. Freaking out over four or five inches of snow. I remember my dad chuckling about a phone call he received from my granddad one day. They had moved to Salinas, California. This was around 1960. Evidently a few year later they had a dusting of snow in the valley for the first time in decades. Gramps informed dad that this 'event' had nearly stalled traffic around town and that many people there had never driven on snow. What little it was. Of course it was gone almost immediately but the hilarity it brought grandad was epic. Coming from Nebraska he had seen a hard winter or three.

Cheers, Todd

Cheers, Todd

Check out my location! Oh, you know I gotta be following this thread! Thanks to my Dubois buddy Mike for pointing me here!

As far as shaving products retailers the OP is correct. Same for just about any other semi-rural State. Although I don't consider AOS any benefit at all the larger cities near our borders like Denver and Salt Lake City do offer that expensive alternative to online vendors. But before we beat up on my beloved Wyoming for not providing us all the retail opportunities as the rest of our citified friends, remember that those that choose to live in rural states do so with full knowledge of those limitations. For example, Outside of places like Cheyenne and Casper (populations of about 60,000 each) we don't get many big chain retailers or restaurants. We get used to that here and we drive a lot. This may seem odd to most but we think nothing of driving 250-300 miles for an event or for work and return that day. We will drive 3-4 hours to go shopping, go out to a nice dinner, etc. So when it comes to shopping we are pretty adept at shopping online. We tend to know our postal carriers and UPS drivers by their first name!

But we kind of like it here because of our open spaces and remoteness from the rest of the world. We get used to (but never take for granted) that we wee things out our windows daily that people plan vacations to come see. I can step away from my desk here and be fishing in 5 minutes. There is a saying here that "Wyoming is a small town with long streets." It is not uncommon at all to be 300+ miles from home and stop in a cafe and see someone you know or even run into the Governor or other elected officials. We have ONE 4-year university and we are all rabid supporters and fans of our collegiate athletics.

Enough of defending Wyoming. We do have some Bath & Body Works stores (again in Cheyenne and Casper) If you are in a pinch for blades (why would any wet shaver ever not be prepared with blades?) you can typically find store-branded Personna or Dorco blades at the "dollar" store places or Sally's Beauty Supply. Almost all grocery stores, pharmacies, and of course big box stores (yes, we have those here) carry some shaving soaps, and plenty of AS and ASB choices. So, if you find yourself in Wyoming without a needed product (where is your travel kit?) you should be able to pick up what you need locally. If you really get in a bind, contact one of use Wyoming B&B members (I think there are less than 5!) and one of us can meet you for coffee and spot you what you need. I will be there in a couple hours, see 'ya!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Todd; There is a new thread in "shaving soaps" that says Walmart and Walgreens are stocking VDH Luxury soap again.

“You might be from Wyoming if…”

1· Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.
2· “Vacation” means going to Cheyenne for the weekend.
3· You know several people who have hit deer more than once.
4· You often switch from “heat” to “A/C” in the same day.
5· You use a down comforter in the summer.
6· Your grandparents drive at 65 mph through 13 feet of snow during a raging blizzard, without flinching.
7· You see people wearing hunting clothes at social events.
8· There are 7 empty cars running in the parking lot at the Wal-Mart store at any given time.
9· You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and construction…
10· You’ve ever uttered the term “Greenie!” (Surely, this term doesn’t refer to our neighbors to the south…or does it!)

1· Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.
3· You know several people who have hit deer more than once.
4· You often switch from “heat” to “A/C” in the same day.
5· You use a down comforter in the summer.
6· Your grandparents drive at 65 mph through 13 feet of snow during a raging blizzard, without flinching.
7· You see people wearing hunting clothes at social events.
8· There are 7 empty cars running in the parking lot at the Wal-Mart store at any given time.
9· You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and construction…
10· You’ve ever uttered the term “Greenie!” (Surely, this term doesn’t refer to our neighbors to the south…or does it!)

Good posts, Steve.:001_smile

A couple of comments:
Before the gas "boom", I used to drive the 90 miles to the city of RS and maybe not even see a car.
To me a vacation is staying home and "getting away from it all.":001_smile Or maybe driving a few miles and taking a hike in the mountains. What do I need in Cheyenne, is there a Dairy Queen there?

4. What is A/C?

I do hope most people realize most of my posts are Tongue-in-Cheek, or something like that, but I do find it a little ironic when someone who lives in an area with around a third of a million people by their own estimate, and a population density of over 170/sq mi (my county is 2.1/sq mi, and I don't live in an incorporated area), and a Dairy Queen, tells us we live in a huge city compared to them.:laugh:

Last edited:

I've also gotten stuck behind antelope that would just keep loping down the road in front of me and wouldn't let me pass. And lots of cattle drives, as August West mentions.

For those that don't know, our license plates in Colorado are green, so we stand out in Wyoming.

During the formation of laws about legal marijuana, one of the concerns was/is how to control the state line borders. The subject of pot cafes springing up along state lines was mentioned. I envisioned pot cafes on the Colorado side next to the already existing fireworks shops on the Wyoming side and thought what a possibly bad combination that would be.

Last edited:
For those that don't know, our license plates in Colorado are green, so we stand out in Wyoming.

During the formation of laws about legal marijuana, one of the concerns was/is how to control the state line borders. The subject of pot cafes springing up along state lines was mentioned. I envisioned pot cafes on the Colorado side next to the already existing fireworks shops on the Wyoming side and thought what a possibly bad combination that would be.
Yea, we are having some fun joking about the new Colorado pot laws. You can buy pot and lottery tickets in CO but you stil have to come north of the lone to get fireworks! Come on Colorado, don't be a spoil sport. I would think that pot and explosives would be a natural combination!

On the "Greenie" thing... that's getting a little outdated bow with most of the CO license plates not being green anymore.

Gotta love the Wyomingites. I will say the things you listed are cross pollinated here in Kansas. Specifically using the heat and AC in the same day. About three weeks ago before the humidity decided to show up, it was 34F in the morning and 79 in the afternoon. We had a very long(thank goodness) and cool spring for this area. But we always get a few days each spring and autumn where these 40-50 degree temp swings occur. I will say this about Wyoming. With that dry air just about any day there, even in high summer feels like air conditioning compared to the basin here around Kansas City.

Cheers, Todd

Gotta love the Wyomingites. I will say the things you listed are cross pollinated here in Kansas. Specifically using the heat and AC in the same day. About three weeks ago before the humidity decided to show up, it was 34F in the morning and 79 in the afternoon. We had a very long(thank goodness) and cool spring for this area. But we always get a few days each spring and autumn where these 40-50 degree temp swings occur. I will say this about Wyoming. With that dry air just about any day there, even in high summer feels like air conditioning compared to the basin here around Kansas City.

Cheers, Todd
It was 29 degrees here this morning, it's in the mid sixties now. I bet it's even hotter where Steve is. I get pretty hot around 70, 80 is pretty nigh unbearable despite the dry air.

I do know what you mean though. You can't even breath in hot humid air.

Last edited:
Top Bottom