What's new

I just pucked these wostenholms up

Do you guys think they would be better restored or keep as is? Any info would also be greatly appreciated as far as date and such. these are also my first experience with this type of blade are they more or less sought after.
20240118_145553.jpg
20240118_145603.jpg
20240118_145559.jpg
20240118_145607.jpg
20240118_145546.jpg
20240118_145546.jpg
1000002061.jpg

Attachments

• 20240118_145555.jpg
    20240118_145555.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240118_145557.jpg
    20240118_145557.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
There is no right or wrong answer to your question. I tend to restore and end up trying to remove most of the rust. More recently, I have begun to appreciate the look of a well used razor.

I would look for similar razors on these threads for inspiration:

If you decide to preserve etching or plating, be careful with the use of abrasives and polishes. Soft materials like polish on a cloth and steel wool are your enemy. Soft materials can get into etching and cause it to quickly vanish. Your options are:
  1. Wipe etching and plating using WD-40 with a cotton cloth and move on.
  2. Very lightly buff the etching in the direction of the original grind marks using fine wet/dry sandpaper to only remove surface level dirt and grime - no more. If you keep going, the etching or plating will vanish faster than you can say "Poof!"
  3. Sand the blade clean, removing the etching and plating.
You can also cover etching or plating with nail polish, sand around the etching or plating, and then use nail polish remover (acetone) to remove the nail polish.

Good luck!

Nice score, they will all clean up and can be made to shave well. Even the last one with the pipe logo and large chip on the heel. Heel correction on that one should take out the chip and save some blade width.

Personally, of the hundreds of razors I own, none are Wall Queens. All have been well cleaned, honed and see use in rotation, all be it a long rotation.

They do not need to be “As new” restoration but a good cleaning, stop any rust from getting worst and honing will help preserve them further, even if you decide not to make them daily shavers.

They all appear to be horn scales, horn is easily repaired with CA glue and horn dust and will polish up nicely sanding with 600,1k wet & dry and metal polish, rehydrated with neatsfoot oil touch up with black shoe dye if needed.

Steel wool and WD40 will clean them up, a 15-minute vinegar soak and stainless toothbrush will remove the rust from the pitting and rust converter will seal the pitting, leave the pitting and polish the steel with 0000 steel wool and metal polish.

I especially like the Brass Backed frame backed razor. They are collectable but not especially so.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
2nd from the top looks like it could be made to shave. One of my greatest pleasures is fondling a highly restored razor, that will never shave again. A brand new looking RSO, that was once a beauty and well recognized, is out of commission due to wear, but represents a bit of me I can hand down.

I'm currently shaving with 2 razors I bought to restore. Testing to see how they work without investing time. I found nothing makes a blade look better than an exceptional shave, and I'm amazed how much patina comes off with regular use.

Top Bottom