What's new

I hope THIS one works better than THIS one.

Hi all,

I couple of weeks ago, I had a BAD experience attempting to shave with THIS one :

upload_2019-7-6_22-4-15.png

I (too late) discovered that there was Blade "play/movement" and in only two strokes,
I cut myself twice! So, I "abandoned Ship" and continued my shave using my Ever-Ready 1912 without problem.

Today, I found this one at the "Flea Market". It cleaned up quite nicely.
NOTE TO SELF : Be damn sure to CHECK/EXAMINE for any loose Blade "play/movement" before attempting to shave.

proxy.php

proxy.php

SixCats!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice find, let us know how it shaves for you. Hopefully better than the “other “ one.

Nice looking Clog-Pruf, you'll be pleased with the results. Don't give up on the 1914; if you come across one in good condition snap it up. The 1914 Little Lather Catcher is one of my top razors.

Hi @Salty O'Rourke , thanks for the feed back and well wishes.

Crazy! Sunday July 7th. 2019

Today, I found yet another GEM CLOG PRUF (this time in Silver).

proxy.php

Perhaps this ONE will give me a good shave ? Ummmm, what shaves better, Gold or Silver ?

SixCats!

The gold one is all brass and that particular one came in what is called a peerless set. They were sold in 1945 and I think 1946 also. The other one is chrome plated and was sold between 1940 - either 1945 or 1946. My dates are approximate there may be some overlap with the Flying Wing which was introduced in 1947.

What differentiates them visually is the amount of teeth on the guard. The Peerless has 17 teeth. The standard Clog Pruf has 12 teeth.

They are also vastly different shavers. The peerless is the best razor I own that I've used. The other one is not even close.

The gold one is all brass and that particular one came in what is called a peerless set. They were sold in 1945 and I think 1946 also. The other one is chrome plated and was sold between 1940 - either 1945 or 1946. My dates are approximate there may be some overlap with the Flying Wing which was introduced in 1947.

What differentiates them visually is the amount of teeth on the guard. The Peerless has 17 teeth. The standard Clog Pruf has 12 teeth.

They are also vastly different shavers. The peerless is the best razor I own that I've used. The other one is not even close.
The $2.75 Peerless gift set introduced for Father's Day was again advertised during Christmas 1946, and the standard $1.25 Peerless set saw old stock close out (presumably) adverts in a number of papers in September 1947, about five months after the Flying Wing first appears.

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

Last edited:
Hi @BBS-1,

Oooooh, THANK YOU Sir BBS-1 for this most excellent information! After reading your post, I'm going
for the "GOLD"!

Hi @jmudrick,

Thank you jmudrick for also providing me with such useful information.

SixCats!

@SixCats! you are invited to Micromatic Monday on the single edge SE forum anytime you want. We get into the weeds when it comes to all things GEM.

I've recently been able to find the first generation Open Comb Micromatic without blade bumps. Also, the GEM PTFE coated blades work best for most of us it seems.

GEM Blades.jpg
GEM Clog.jpg
GEM instructions1.jpg
GEM Time Line.png

Top Bottom