What's new

I have solved my cream lather problems!!!

I saw in videos and pictures everywhere how they put the cream into the bowl, and start swirling with the brush.

Ive been having lots of problems with cream, it would look good, but dry out almost as soon as it was applied, and it took forever to get a decent lather.

Today i tried something different, when it came to squeeze out some cream from my Proraso i decided i would spread the hairs on my brush, and apply the cream as close to the handle as i possibly could, inside the hair.

i started swirling, and almost instantaniously i got this thick creamy lather that was glossy beyond compare, i diddnt even have to add any more water.

I tried it with Palmolive red with the same results.

how come i've never seen this on any videos or wet shaving instructions? it seems you get a much better lather, with half as much work if you actually put the cream INTO the brush, instead of on the tips of the hair or in the bowl.

or, it could just be me, whatever floats your boat i guess

There is a mantic video about superlather where he gets the soap right down into the brush. Don't forget that a lot of water gets down into the bristles and when making your lather a pumping action with the brush can help get all that water into contact with the cream or soap - so much for the clap-trap about distilled water. As I said yesterday I have mega hard water and have no problem in getting a really good lather, granted, some soaps and creams need slightly tweaking, but as you use more different ones you'll soon find out what works for you. Keep experimenting, that's part of the fun!

Paul.

SilverKarn;

Actually, some of the very early posts and some instructions on some of the brush vendor sites describe taking a scoop of cream and placing it deep in the center of the brush before lathering. Pumping the brush up and down, particularly when using a cream, is also effective for developing a good thick lather. You will probably also find that after about one pass or so, if you squeeze the brush you will get a handfull of extremely thick, wet lather; great for that final pass.

BobS

R

rum

Don't know about using a shaving bowl as I've always lathered up directly on my face, but I find that if the cream dries up too soon, you probably aren't using enough water.

Thoroughly wet your face before touching the cream or brush. By thoroughly I mean keep rinsing/splashing water (ideally as hot as you can handle) all over your face and neck.

If it still dries up after lathering it up flick some water drops on your face and give two or three quick swirls. Works a treat for me that way.

Top Bottom