What's new

I have forgotten how to use a cartridge razor!

I was digging around the attic last year and found my old Gillette Contour Handle. I bought this back in my late teens and it was quickly usurped by a Sensor (which i can no longer find :( )

Not longer after i found the Contour, i happened upon a set of blades for it on holiday!

I've used it a couple of times since with the blades and i tried it again today, but i have realised i don't remember how to use it.

My first wtg pass was basically useless. I would have had better results with a credit card.

Going against my memory of Cartridges not being used for ATG shaving i did just that. I ended up with a reasonable shave. Not great and certainly no better than a DE razor.

What am i doing wrong? How do you use a cartridge razor? the same as a DE?

I am using Shaving oil at the moment. Would that be a problem?

Obligatory picture:
20190608_193218.jpg

Rest the cartridge flat against your face. Don't count on the cartridge automatically swiveling to match the contour of your face. They work best for one day's growth. With more, gunk builds up between the blades and needs to be rinsed frequently. I suggest using light pressure just like a DE razor.

If the blade comes with a plastic cover, you can practice shaving with the cover on and no soap to get the angle correct.

Before making this post, I shaved using a disposable razor and a slick Arko lather. It worked surprisingly well. Williams would have been better. I've never used shaving oil.

Last edited:
Shaved today using my reed & barton sterling silver Atra with vintage Atra blade and got an amazing shave using same face prep as I do for DE shaving. 2 passes WTG and ATG. No nicks or weepers and a perfect DFS for me . I never could get BBS even on a DE . I get too much irritation when I try for a BBS due to my Adamantium stubble .

I use extremely light if any pressure just as I would do with a DE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on forgetting how to use a cartridge razor!
First thing to remember if you really want to use it, is use a lot more pressure than a DE razor.

The Contour is an Atra. I had never used an Atra but a handle came free with something else I bought on eBay a few months back and I already had some TracII/Atra cartridges so one day I tried the Atra.

Couldn't stand it. I can still work most of my cartridge razors, but the center pivot on this thing meant I couldn't figure out how to keep the lower blade on my face. I put it down, finished the shave with a DE, then chucked the Atra handle into the back of the Drawer of Misfit Toys and haven't touched it since.

I've used a cart a couple times since I went back to DE shaving and there's definitely a learning curve.

With a cart you can get fast and easy BBS with nothing but running water in the shower. Use tons of pressure and gazillion passes.

7 blade Dorko would be my choice.

Use brush and good shaving cream. Turn off the lights in the bathroom. Close your eyes to make sure no peeping and go for it. Will get a great shave with no nicks or weepers and in less time than a DE shave.

I am currently using both DE's and Carts. The major differences. The cart handle has be be held close to horizontal, parallel to the floor, much higher than my DE's. Carts also require more pressure. I start a shave WTG at my sideburns, I have to gradually apply pressure to the cart on my face until I can feel/see I am cutting stubble. I than try to maintain that angle and pressure throughout the shave. The cart is more forgiving in angle and pressure than a DE but still both need some attention.

I am currently using both DE's and Carts. The major differences. The cart handle has be be held close to horizontal, parallel to the floor, much higher than my DE's. Carts also require more pressure. I start a shave WTG at my sideburns, I have to gradually apply pressure to the cart on my face until I can feel/see I am cutting stubble. I than try to maintain that angle and pressure throughout the shave. The cart is more forgiving in angle and pressure than a DE but still both need some attention.
I started shaving again with carts a month ago and i use only "slightly" more pressure if at all compared to a DE. (DE is zero pressure) but honestly i barely use any pressure with my carts and i get great shaves.

I started shaving again with carts a month ago and i use only "slightly" more pressure if at all compared to a DE. (DE is zero pressure) but honestly i barely use any pressure with my carts and i get great shaves.
I agree when I use a 5 blade cart, Harry's or Proglide, very little pressure, but with the 2 blade carts, Atra and Sensor, I use a bit more. Have been using the 2 blade carts lately and I find they need some pressure to shave close.

I agree when I use a 5 blade cart, Harry's or Proglide, very little pressure, but with the 2 blade carts, Atra and Sensor, I use a bit more. Have been using the 2 blade carts lately and I find they need some pressure to shave close.
Ive been shaving with Atra/Trac II carts for the last month and i use barely any pressure, still getting as close a shave as i did with my FatBoy.
I will say that i toss my carts after 6 shaves. I guess if i wanted to get more shaves out of a cart i would need more pressure later on.

Ive been shaving with Atra/Trac II carts for the last month and i use barely any pressure, still getting as close a shave as i did with my FatBoy.
I will say that i toss my carts after 6 shaves. I guess if i wanted to get more shaves out of a cart i would need more pressure later on.
Whatever works for you, glad you found it. I am getting about a dozen shaves, and using original handles which are relatively light, compared to most DE razors. Maybe that is why or different beard, skin, lather, whatever works.

Top Bottom