What's new

I guess I'm not as much of a Nancy Boy as I thought...

Since I started DE shaving a year ago, I've always wanted to try the Nancy Boy Signature Shave Cream. Living in NYC, I have easy access to other well reviewed creams, so I postponed purchasing the Nancy Boy for a year.

Well, I finally ordered it last week, received it on Saturday and used it this morning. And the result? I don't like it at all...

To start with, the cream dried extremely quickly. By my second pass, the brush was stiff and I could hardly move it. By the third pass, the cream was so dried that it was actually caking to both my face and the razor. Because of this I had no slipperiness with which to glide the razor over my face.

Secondly, the stuff feels weird to me. It felt like a heavy moisturizer. An overnight cream, or something. After rinsing my face, I could still feel it on me and that was uncomfortable; so much so that I actually washed my face after shaving.

I'm really disappointed. I thought this would be tantamount to Taylor's Rose or Avocado, but it wasn't. I'll be going back to those tomorrow.

As everyone says, YMMV, but for me this stuff was no good. Maybe I got a bad sample...

I've never had a problem w/NB being overly dried. Now, becaue NB has quite a bit more emolients than most creams, it can create a lather that's a bit thicker and has less peaks than most creams. But I've never had an issue w/it drying up or caking on my skin. The scent is amazing to me, and the skincare is excellent. One of the few creams that I can use and get away w/not using an ASB.

Are you sure you got a sample of shaving cream and not another one of his products? Maybe you got a sample of night cream or something by mistake.

That does not sound like NB shave cream at all. I am not a very big fan of the shave cream, but what you describe is not at all like the product.

Dennis

It definitely says "Signature Shave Cream" on the container; and it smells like peppermint.

The water to cream ratio was a concern. So much so that I initially put the cream on my face, was baffled at how dry it was, rinsed it off, rinsed my brush and redid the whole thing. Same result. When I tried Kyle's towel technique - something I've been using for a week now - I was shocked when I removed the towel and my face felt extremely dry. Not dry as in cracked and chapped, but dry as in not wet or sweaty.

Just a few minutes ago, when I removed the blade from my razor, there were clumps of the cream caked to it. I had rinsed the razor in hot water. Apparently that wasn't enough to remove the cream.

I should mention that the end result was not a bad shave. Not BBS, but decent enough.

However, the experience of using it was so frustrating that I don't think I'll be using it again.

I'm out at the moment, but somebody mail this guy a good sample.

IF I had some I'd send you some just to clear all this up. I can't see how NB can act that badly. Especially since it can be used with or without a brush. And when it's used w/a brush it works very very well.

If no one has any, I'll be getting a brand new tub within a week or so, and I'll be happy to send you a sample.

Out of the 10 or so different brands of creams, I find Taylors Avocado, Trumpers Coconut, Toms Mint and NB to be in my top creams. I just don't get it.

Since I started this journey, I've used: Taylor's Avocado, Taylor's Rose, Proraso Green, Proraso Red, C&E Almond, Colonel Conk Amber, Tom's Mint and now Nancy Boy. Nancy Boy has been the least pleasing.

Like I said, I'm really upset, because I was looking forward to using it. It was a very frustrating experience.

By the third pass, the brush was stiff as a board and I could no longer move it in a circular motion over my face. I was stuck with painting strokes.

I appreciate your offer. I'm hoping it was just my sample, but maybe it's possible that my skin doesn't react well to it? I don't know.

LOL...despite being tres culturelle chic nowadays, not being a Nancy Boy is not necessarily a BAD THING !!!!

Maybe you just got a "bad" jar. Is it "exchangable"?

There is no cream, including NB'S, that has acted like that, since I learned to use more water and a wetter brush and quit using so much cream. If the cream is that dry, why aren't you adding water to bring up the lather? Either that's a bad batch or your not using enough H2O, imo.

It HAS to be a defective batch!

This cream is neither clumpy or dries when you slap it on your face. I agree, it could be your cream/water ratio, but more probably it just a bad batch. I would contact the store and tell them. Maybe they will send you a replacement?

Signed,

Nancy Boy
(and proud of it.)

PS: I had the very same thing happen to me when I tried Trumper's Limes -- drying, face felt greasy after I rinsed it off, a bad shave, etc. It turned out to be a water/cream issue for me and now that I got it down, I get great shaves with it.

Forgot to add that Nancy Boy has a 100% guarantee on their products. Call them up with your problem and you should find them to be very accommodating.

Dennis

Again, unless Nancy Boy requires a radically different amount of water than any of the other creams I've used, I can't imagine that the problem was a lack of water.

I have this moisturizer I use in the winter by Eucerin. It's very heavy. My experience this morning with Nancy Boy reminded me of the Eucerin.

Again, unless Nancy Boy requires a radically different amount of water than any of the other creams I've used, I can't imagine that the problem was a lack of water.

I have this moisturizer I use in the winter by Eucerin. It's very heavy. My experience this morning with Nancy Boy reminded me of the Eucerin.

It's all guessing on our part...contact Nancy Boy and I am sure they will resolve the issue for you.

With numerous British creams on hand, I wanted to try some US creams, hence I went with eShave White Tea, The Gentlemen's Refinery and Nancy Boy creams. And have been in that rotation for while. All three are superb performers and all three have their own distinct water/cream idiosyncrasies. I'm throwing in with BAD BATCH or WATER RATIO.

A MAJOR part of learning a brush and creams is learning when to adjust the ratios with a new cream- any new cream. If you can get Proraso to a good consistency you can get ANY cream to a good consistency.

I can't count the number of posts I have read about trouble with cream consistency and the solution was simply the ratio.

I was finally able to get some NB myself a short time ago, both the signature and the rejuvenating and while they are not my all time favorites (c&e Sienna is), they lather very well and provide a pleasing shave with none of the problems you describe.
Having used Proraso (Co Bigelow), Palmolive, Trumper Sandlewood, C&E Sienna, C&E Nomad, KMF, SCS, and a couple others I can't think of, Proraso and SCS are the toughest for me to lather well, and both require alot more water than the others.

Don't give it up after one try especially after looking forward to it for so long- try it again, at least once and play with the ratio.

I have been using NB for about 3 weeks now...and have had no problems. It will dry up if you do not start shaving immediately (talking to someone on the phone who called duringt he morning sahve resulted in my having to re-lather - ot to mention the little blizzard of dried lather I left in my wake). I do the following: Soak the mug and brush in hot water while in the shower; drain, shake the brush to remove excess water; touch the brush to the surface of the NB cream in the tub, just barely coating the ends of the bristles; in the warm mug, I squeeze 1/2 inch of Proraso (CO Bigelow), add very hot water from my fingertips and whip. I keep adding drops of water until I get a soft whipped cream consistency. Apply, shave, re-apply, shave, add hot waer and whip, re-apply, shave. I have found the cream to be far superior to cake soap or Proraso by itself. It sounds like a water issue.

I had problems with NB when I first tried it. I'm a dedicated face latherer, but just could not use NB without a bowl and a decent amount of water. It sounds like you tried it brush to face, so try lathering it up in a bowl with increasing drops of water as you go. Once you get it right, it makes for a very pleasant shave. If I recall correctly, there was a thread on the board somewhat humorously titled "Lathering Up Nancy Boy" right around the same time I was experimenting. Search around, I'm sure you'll find it.

I had problems with NB when I first tried it. I'm a dedicated face latherer, but just could not use NB without a bowl and a decent amount of water. It sounds like you tried it brush to face, so try lathering it up in a bowl with increasing drops of water as you go. Once you get it right, it makes for a very pleasant shave. If I recall correctly, there was a thread on the board somewhat humorously titled "Lathering Up Nancy Boy" right around the same time I was experimenting. Search around, I'm sure you'll find it.

I think that this is the most likely problem. I did lather directly on my face.

I will try using it again next weekend when I have plenty of time.

I lather it in a bowl, just take a decent scoop with my finger and apply it to the bottom of the brush. It creates a great lather pretty quick with my C&E BBB.

Top Bottom