What's new

I got restless and bought a 100 pack!

$8.99 for 100 Clifton's . . . never heard of them before, but for the price 🤔
I once pulled the trigger on a 100 pack of Asco Platinums because they were $5.00 on Amazon. I was not disappointed. They worked well, but IMHO, they were just a bit shy of Lord Platinums/Shark Super Chromes. They also fell just a wee bit short of Astra SPs. But I'm glad I bought them, especially for $5.00.

I've never tried Clifton blades. The description on Amazon says they're made from carbon steel. Durablade's site says the same. While carbon steel makes for great pans and woks, I'm not sure I want to shave with a blade made of it. Contrary to Durablade's description, carbon steel does not resist rust well. I'd worry that insufficient drying of the blade would cause it to rust. I would not want to nick myself with a rusty blade.

If you're interested in trying one of Durablade's offerings, you might want to look into the LOI Salon Quality Titanium blade. It's my favorite blade of the ones I've tried so far. Of course, YMMV. Alternatively, you could try Durablade's Sharp Swiss Quality Titanium blades, which another member of the forum tried and liked.

Last edited:
This talk of Clifton blades made me think of this:
clifton blades.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Shaved with a Shark Platinum today for Shark Week...expected a sub-par shave and was pleasantly surprised! Not bad at all...

Really like Silver Star, Lord Cool and Super Max Platinum on your list.

Have to also add, I really dispise Cliftons, they are bloodletters.

These are the ones I've tried.

Astra SP - Amazing. Easily my fav.

Lord Cool and Platinum - Relatively sharp but not as smooth as astra. Bad QC is a huge turn off.

Supermax - Total garbage. Only used it when I was starting out and don't care for it now. Sad thing is I still have plenty left.

The price is no bargain if you don't like the blades. I am halfway through 100 blades that in my experience are very good but not great. It irks me to have to use them up rather than loading blades I think are great.
True, but sometimes those risks are worth taking. I bought an 100-pack of Asco Platinums for $5 without ever trying those blades before. The shaves I got with the blades proved pretty good. While I preferred Lord Platinum blades over the Asco Platinums (I have no idea if they're actually the same blades but with different packaging and names for different regions), I'm glad I bought the $5 pack. At a minimum, I have more blades that work well with my beard and skin types. 🙂

Also, even if the blades didn't work out, it would've been a $5 trial. I've spent more than $5 on worse trials (e.g., MicroTouch One). 😁

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
There’s only 2 on this board that I have not tried or recently bought and waiting for delivery. Yes I’ve got a bad case of BAD.
I hope it goes into remission soon.
Pleasant surprise was treet black beauty. My first ever carbon blade.
Treet's really surprised me. In a good way.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Treet's really surprised me. In a good way.
Whoa I hit a big surprise today. Treet cools arrived but looked funny. Upon closer inspection the entire package of 100 was soaked. It was wrapped pretty well in plastic but I cut the plastic off and the cardboard was all wet and everything was stuck together. Fortunately I applied for and was credited with a full refund. All in all a pretty disgusting 🤢 package.

Top Bottom