What's new

I give you, the King and Queen....

Great looking brushes, Moe! I'd be especially curious to know whether you find there to be much of a difference between the two knots in terms of how they feel on your face. I have a 20mm bulb and fan knot in finest grade from TGN and I've found the bulb more prickly. I'd be curious to know if you experience the same. Either way, great looking brushes! Nice work!!

Well done.

I would be interested in your impressions on both knots. I have a 24mm Finest bulb and have been toying with the idea of a 24mm Fan but havent pulled the trigger.

Very nice! I keep trying to get a butterscotch handle, but they are pretty hot on ebay.

Those are both very nice. Please let us know if you plan to shave with them, and if so, how they feel.

Rich looking butterscotch brushes!

I'm curious about how the knots compare, too. My badgers are bulb and I feel as though less hair reaches my face and some lather sneaks out the sides. I wonder how the fan feels and how it holds and delivers lather.

Last edited:
Wow! :ohmy: Many requests for difference in the two knots. I'll clean up the King tonight and have a go at it tomorrow. Actually it will be my first go with the Finest in bulb. I'm a huge fan of the finest fan from TGN and have used it in 20mm, 22mm, and 24mm. For me the finest fan is good for face or bowl lathering, and I think it's plenty soft, and if set a little deeper provides great backbone. As already stated, hadn't tried the bulb yet but will report back. :thumbup1:

-Moe

:thumbup1:

+1

You're right in that they do evoke a feeling like I am in the presence of Royalty. And the Bulb is definitely the King with the fan being the Queen.
I don't know why but, they are.

OK, fired up the king this morning with some AOS lemon. Whipped up great lather in the bowl. Great feel on the face, just like the fan shape, plenty soft with plenty backbone (BTW the knot hole for the bulb was 18mm deep, for the fan it was 19mm deep). I would say that i did not have a problem locating the lather where I wanted it, but would say I had to be more careful. With the bulb, it was a matter of the lather wave (lack of better term) pushing lather into the tight spots without the tips of the brush actually touching skin in same spot. With the fan I think I got more skin contact from the tips (which i prefer). Also, these are both 24mm knots, and both take more product as they do hog a little lather (compared to a smaller brush), but the bulb seemed to be a bit more of a lather hog than the fan.

I'm quite paranoid about ruining the patina, so was probably last shave with these (I did use the Queen once,,,, ya suppose the Duke of Edinburgh ever said that?), up on the shelf they go.

Hope that helps, if you have other question let me know and will do my best?

-Moe

I'm quite paranoid about ruining the patina, so was probably last shave with these (I did use the Queen once,,,, ya suppose the Duke of Edinburgh ever said that?), up on the shelf they go.

Please don't take offense, but I hate to see that happen to these wonderful shaving implements. All of my modest collection...brushes and razors...are used in regular rotation and I wouldn't have it any other way. They're tools and are built to be used, not just displayed as a static piece of art. I feel like I'm dishonoring the makers by not using them as intended. YMMV...:001_cool:

Top Bottom