What's new

I finally mbroke my first 5K goal!!

So I'm 28 and was very over weight, in the last year I've dropped from 244 to 204 (this morning), I've been doing a lot of various exercises at the gym including lifting jogging on the elliptical and rowing and modifying my diet to a much healthier program. I played football and wrestled when I was younger until I went to college and I was just burnt out on football.

I've been running for about a month and a half and finally started using a Nike + sensor and running 5K every other day or every two days as my schedule and body will allow me to. One of the best things I did for myslef was to buy a new pair of running shoes. My old pair were worn out so I picked up a pair of Nike Free +3 shoes and they made all the difference in the world. I've never liked distance running and I hated running the 2 mile run for ROTC in college, even though I could always make my time.

Last night while running at the Y on their indoor track I finally finished a 5K in under 30 mins. For me this is a huge goal since I've heard from friends that run 5K's all the time that the median time is usually in the 27 minute mark. I still have to walk a bit since I feel like I just can't catch my breath after about a mile and a half so I usually walk a lap or two and get back to jogging. I still need to work on my pace so I won't have to walk, but I think I just need some time for my lungs to catch up with me.

I think that my time would be a little faster too if I didn't always have to dodge walkers on the track. It gets annoying when the outside lanes are designated jogging/running lanes and the old women and kids will string out across all three lanes so you have to say something for them to give way so you can keep going.

I'm a little sore again today like I usually am after a run, but I can't wait to give it a go again tomorrow!

Congratulations!! I dropped 35 pounds about a year ago with the same approach. Modified diet (low fat, low carb, high protein) and exercise. I was very athletic through my 20s and then became a slug. When I started running I could barely run/walk 2 miles with a majority walking. Now I can easily run 5K in 26-27 minutes. Just stick with it and the endurance will come, then the time will start to drop.

I was also surprised at the importance of good running shoes. I went to a running store (not just a sporting goods or shoe store) and had them fit me with a pair of shoes. They put me on a treadmill to determine pronation and then had me try several pair of shoes on the treadmill to find the best pair for me. I was amazed at the difference when compared to just buying a shoe that felt good walking around the shoe store.

I would recommend finding a few options for getting your run in. A track, jogging trails, residential streets or any other safe option. Variety will help you stick with it.

My latest workout adventure has been boot camp and/or cross fit type workouts. Definitely a cardio workout but much different than running. I split my workouts between the two and enjoy the variety. Plus the boost in muscle tone and strength has been noticeable.

Stick with it. I found running endurance builds slowly, but you'll be amazed at the results in another couple of months.

Thank you for all of the encouragement! I really don't have anyone else to share this with and I feel it's a kinda big deal. My goal weight is to be back around 185 or 190, but I'm looking more for a fit and cut appearance than a weight goal. I'd like to keep running after I meet my final goals so I can go back to eating a little bit of junk food without gaining the weight back.

I'm planning on running a 5k or three this fall once I can actually run through a complete 5K workout. Right now I run mostly inside on a track since it's been so hot outside. I do run in my neighborhood, but it's so steep and hilly I can't run it as much since it wears my legs out fast. I do run an outdoor trail when the temp is down, but I've only been able to run it twice since I've started.

It is a big deal and you should not let anyone tell you otherwise. I stick pretty closely to my diet but allow myself 1-2 splurge meals a week. This satisfies my taste for comfort foods. However, I've noticed since I started eating healthier that my tastes have changed and the cravings for junk food are not nearly as strong. Often I find myself craving a salad when I get home from work.
Some may call it obsessive (my wife does :biggrin1:) but I weigh myself every morning and every evening. IMHO this allows me to make small (translate easy) changes to my diet and exercise on a weekly basis to keep my weight consistently between 175-180. Losing weight is hard, keeping it off is easier but requires the same level of consistency and commitment it took to loose it.

Keep up the good work :)

Congrats on your achievement. You should be very proud.

Don't be afraid to cycle a bit. Great way to help your legs recover from all that running. Very low impact also.

Thanks again for all the kind words. I'm still plugging away at it, but I'm stuck right around the 30 minute mark give or take 30 seconds and unable to run through the entire 5K. Right now it seems like my lungs are the limiting factor since I feel like my legs can keep going, but I just have a hard time breathing and feeling like I can catch my breath. I'm sure that in time they will catch up, I'm just paying for smoking through college and smoking a pipe for several years after, about right up until I started running again.

I used to cycle a little bit, but I don't like riding on the road with it so I stuck to trails, I also just don't like hauling it around with me. I really get annoyed with the cyclists around here on the road so I don't want to be one of them.

Top Bottom