What's new

I Coloniali & Tcheon Fung Sing Reverse Discussion Thread

Good evening gents. This thread will cover my recent purchase and use of two brands of shave soaps which had been on my short list of products I needed to try. Namely I Coloniali and Tcheon Fung Sing hard shave soaps. My initial posts about these soaps can be found HERE. This thread will be a bit different than typical review threads. What I normally do is post up a proper review and then start a discussion thread of the products. This time round I will be going the other way around. This will be a semi-long term thread I update from time to time. I had promised lather photos of the TFS hard soaps in the other thread but have not gotten round to it yet. When I start lathering up in the mornings I cannot be bothered with it. I need to make a few test lathers for the camera and done with it. So I will add those shortly. On to the discussion.

First of all these soaps may both be Italian but could not be further apart in scent, appearance, lathering technique, and shave qualities. Well the latter mot nearly as much but you get the point. Two very different experiences. They are both very good quality and speak of a different era. Classy packaging in both instances but for me the nod goes to Tcheon Fung Sing. The wax coated, pleated paper with affixed labels speaks of yesteryear and I noted that all three cakes were different in size and colouation. Can we say this is due to hand made variances? I think so for the most part. Very old world look. I really like it. Now mind, Atkinson's are no dunces when it comes to packaging. The I Coloniali line whilst being very new to the market in terms of age looks like it has been around for ages. Very distinctive packaging and while not as old world looking at TFS it captures an art look without being pretentious like so many 'spa' type products. It carries a hefty price tag for that packaging and the name upon it. Still, I like it quite well and feel that many of the other top shelf products with higher end pricing fall short of a class look. It reminds me of Penhaligon's. Despite their bumbling with the shave soap formula their packaging and aura bespeak class, class, and more class. I Coloniali captures a similar notion if in a completely different vein. Well done Atkinson's.

Lets start with I Coloniali. As mentioned in the other thread this is a typically soft Italian style croap. I mashed it into an aluminium tin which has proven to be a wise decision. Plenty of room to lather and it looks like it came from a factory this way. The soap smells of damp earth but mildly so. I do not get any fruit smell despite the mango in the name. If you look at the ingredients is mango seed oil. The scent is very masculine, inoffensive, and as others have noted slightly smoky. It is not overly smoky though. Do not think drift wood smoke like Latakia pipe tobacco. Think more of a remnant of smoke scent you cannot quite place your finger on. The scent itself is not weak but I find it hard to pin down to "smoke" as others have. Suffice it to say musky, mild earth, and mild smoke. How is that for a cop out on scent description? Lathering was accomplished using the same method I employ for Mystic Water Soap. Build a paste, add warm water a bit at a time, and work thoroughly over the beard. Adding water as needed. It has made a very good lather each time I have used it. Shave quality so far is very good as should be typical of an Italian soft soap. It has not quite matched my favourite Mystic Waters in that regard but is very good. I have left one aspect of the soap out of the discussion so far and to me a VERY important one. In fact it almost made me put it away after a couple of uses. That aspect is menthol. I have come to the conclusion I am the most finicky person alive when it comes to menthol. I normally do not care for any but the smallest does of it. Aqua Velva? It numbs me and makes me gag. Alt Innsbruck? One of my most favourites. And it is nothing but tobacco flower and menthol! Still, it does not overwhelm me like AV does. This soap has a noticeable amount but not in the scent. At least not till it is lathered and even then I do not really smell it. However, I feel it in the lathering. It is not a face freezer but I feel a substantial cooling effect while applying it and shaving with it. As I said, nearly enough to quit using it. I do not like 'cold' shaving lathers. We will see how this plays out as spring approaches but keep in mind it will negatively effect my ultimate review of the soap but may be a bonus for you.

Tcheon Fung SIng. These are the hard soaps. I really see very little of them on the forums but do catch discussions of the soft versions. The three I purchased were all labeled "aroma intenso". Really? I am unsure of what the milder versions were like but these are mildly scented indeed. They are not bad at all but I was expecting more a head kick than I got. Tobacco Verde was first and used on alternating days with I Coloniali. Initial lathering to me seemed very similar to Mithcel's Woolfat with much better density and stability. I thought it lathered faster as well. This may be worth exploring for you Woolies. The scent did not bloom in the lather but rather it retreated. A minus for me but maybe not to you. Shave quality was good if nothing else. It was not borderline spectacular but neither was it borderline bad. Blade glide was no where near the I Colonial or Mystic Water. Not by a long shot. Yet its skin feel was good. The lather was soft on the skin if that makes sense. Aftershave feel was better than decent and more than I expected from the shave quality. I did notice though that a/s splash application produced some burning which is not normal with my other soaps. Even though it is always good form to slow down razor speed for more comfortable results this is what I would call a 'slow lather'. Take your time with the blade and your shave comfort will go up noticeably.

The third week of testing saw the Bergamotto and Neroli cake put to use daily. Now we are getting somewhere. The scent was much more pronounced and as you'd expect was a bright orange affair. I caught more of the sweetness I think is associated with Nerolli rather than the more bitter Bergamot. I like it a lot. Again, more scent would be a plus for me but some like them milder. This one bloomed more than the TV during the lather. This cake was nearly pure white whilst the TV was more of a mottled white and yellow. I chalk this up to the variances in artisan products. It lathered slightly different to the TV as well. The former pasted up nice and thick straight away but I thought faded as water was added. It showed in the shave as noted in my comments about glide. B&N loaded slower but seems to hydrate better with little to no hint of breakage. Face feel was slightly different as well but not much. The shaves have been noticeably better as well. I think the differences may be more due to cake variations rather than scent components but I know the latter can cause discrepancies as I have experienced it. Aftershave feel was superior to TV but not in the class of the I Coloniali. In fact not close. I Coloniali is superb in that category. TFS could be a huge step up for those with softened water. I always feel like it is just on the cusp of being excellent...or not. We will see. Price is good though so you Woolies take heed of my water comments. It may be a nice alternative for your rotation.

Okay, this has gone on long enough for now. I will post back with some lather photos and other impressions later in the week. I hope this is some help for those considering purchasing these soaps.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
Whew! Thank you for the review and your impressions. My computer nearly went into sleep mode while I was reading.... but the thoroughness is greatly appreciated. I am interested to follow this thread. I have the I Coloniali soap, but not the TFS hard soaps. I have the TFS Bergamotto Neroli Intensa soft soap though.... and I love the scent. I've been considering the hard soaps for a while now. I'll be following your impressions here. Can't wait for the lather photos.

Ben

I enjoyed this review. I Coloniali is one of my favorites. I love the cooling sensation. I think it has more of a floral scent, not unlike Tabac.

Quite the read!

I own both the I Coloniali and the soft croap versions of several TFS soaps, and they are both absolutely fantastic.

If one likes I Coloniali then try Etat Libre d'Orange's Fat Electrician.

Despite the silly name, the perfume is excellent.

n.b: the perfume house thought it'd be funky and cool to use monikers.

Sorry for the wordiness gents. It is not often you get to put two brands of soap in four scents through their paces at one go. In fact I usually avoid it. This seemed like it might be an interesting endeavour. We shall see how it turns out. I will also reexamine the word brevity in future updates!

Cheers, Todd

i have been on the fence about a few soaps...I coloniali and institue karite are two of them....havent tried them yet but think i will cave in and buy them...i have enough soaps/creams to last a decade but somehow seem to keep buying more.

Your observations with the TFS soaps match mine.
Good soap to work with to say the least, but definitely mildly scented.

I have the TFS Bergomotto & Neroli. Agree on the good soap part. Unfortunately I am not a citrus lover; I find it too strong in the scent department.

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your great review! Your observations match others as far as I have seen about the Tcheon Fung Sing soaps.

My own observation is also, that after using the hard soaps a couple of times, the scents seem to "come out" more, as if they are more present than before. (I explained it for myself as a consequence of the longer drying process)

Is that your observation too or is it still just as mild as you described it here?

Thanks,

Eric

Hi Eric. Thank you for responding. I rather hoped you would. No, the scent has not bloomed for me. The B&N is more noticeable than the Tobacco Verde but still not what I would call "intenso".

Well, I thought since I responded to Eric I may as well update the thread. I used Bergamotto and Neroli every day last week and then switched off to the I Coloniali on Saturday. Same observations about the I Coloniali. GREAT lather, different scent, superb aftershave feel, and I still do not like the menthol. I may put it away till warm weather to see how I like it then. If forced to decide now I would not repurchase it based on the menthol content alone. Finicky lot aren't we?

Back to TFS hard soaps. I have now used the Tobacco Verde and Bergamotto & Neroli for three plus weeks straight other than the trade off days with I Coloniali. I have to admit I would like more scent in the cakes. Unfortunately the scent has not bloomed for me and in fact seems to have retreated a bit. The scents themselves are very nice and have a quality note to them. I just wish they were stronger. I have not used the Zagaro and Gelsomino and may just trade it later.

The soaps are a bit perplexing to me. They lather like a dream. Absolutely no complaints about lathering or the stability afterward. Top shelf. The shave itself is not as luxurious as I like. To me they are still a solid notch below the great Franco soaps and AOS tallow. Realise I am not saying they are sub par. They just don't wow me with the shave or aftershave feel. Solid but not spectacular. I still associate their lather with MWF for some reason. It reminds me so much of the Fat right before it falls apart on me. If I didn't know better I would think it a tallow based soap. It has the thick, creamy lather building properties you associate with tallow. The glide is not quite up to my demands and the aftershave feel is not my preference either. I notice some burn with splashes if I am not very conscious of how I use the razor. It is not forgiving of razor mistakes. I am trying very hard not to damn this soap with my words. It is not a bad soap at all. In fact, one day with the B&N I really nailed the shave but do not quite realise how I did it. So I will give another week and then post up a proper review. I may even break out the Z&G. Each cake looks much different to the others and I think it stems from the artisan nature of the soap. See you in a week.

Cheers, Todd

Great review Todd! I have the B&N and Tobacco Verde in the hard cream and I agree that they produce great lather but lacking in cushioning at times and I do have to pay more attention to technique.

Hey lads, I wanted to update to the thread. It has been nigh on a month since I started testing with the IC and TFS hard soaps. I have to admit it was a bit tough to stick to using such a limited selection of lahers. I am nothing if not a soap harlot. You lot who stick to one soap and use it exclusively are either the most dedicated or sadistic shavers there are. I will not hazard a suggestion as to which one I think it is!

This exercise started with the I Coloniali so lets go there first. This soap is rather straightforward in loading and building a lather. It is afterall an Italian soft soap and lathers appropriately. Nothing surprising here. Performance is quite good but not quite up to the feel of the best small artisan makers like Mystic Waters. At least not the glide and aftershave feel. This is not really a negative since Mystic is a personal favourite of mine. IC is a very good soap. Much better than the Brit veggie soaps I think. I like the scent. Some call it odd but I call it only unusual. A smoky, earthy affair having what I would describe as a mild note of Cypress or something similar. The only real negative for me is the menthol. I just barely get on with it in this soap. Any more and I would not use it. As I have said before my experience with menthol is not the best. I do not care for coolness in the shave. This one is no face reezer but is most certainly noticeable. I feel the menthol actually effected the shave quality. Only in the sense razor feel was different due to the slight numbing effect it provides. I thought it allowed me to press too hrd with the razor at times because of lack of feel. I wll lay it away til the humid summer weather arrives.

Tcheon Rung Sing hard soaps. What an up and down experience. Comments cover both scents used. I have not opened the Zagara & Gelsomino. First the good. See earlier comments about packaging and presentation. It lathers like a dream. Honestly, it loads almost by itself. And explodes into a dense, creamy lather that would rival the best tallow soaps. Density and stability are top shelf.

Now for the not so good. I refuse to use the word 'bad' because it isn't. It simply was not great. It has a lot of cushion. Perhaps too much like soft creams do. This tends to make you press a bit harder with the razor to get close. Glide was not what I thought it would be either considering the look and feel of the lather. Aftershave feel was typically a little raw. This goes back to the cushion vs closeness/glide thing. It is something you feel rather than describe. Old hands who have also made the transition from creams to soaps long ago will immediately understand this dilemma. Now mind, some men vastly prefer the cushion feel of the creams and this soap would would likely be a great exploration for them. I am quite disappointed in the scents. Well really not the scents but rather their intensity. They have no intensity. Bergamotto and Neroli is my favourite but I wish it were three times stronger in scent. This is personal preference and there are just as many chaps who want lighter scent. These are for you. Overall TFS is a good to almost very good hard soap at a more than fair price. I caution against reading too much into my negatives. I could easily see a bunch of men rattling right off that this is a great soap. I really nailed a couple of shaves with them including superb a/s feel. So it is right on the cusps. Your water or razor technique could make that gap disappear.

So for now this wraps up the reverse review. I will lay them away for a month and then use them for about a week and make a final report before posting a proper entry in the review section. I hope this has been helpful. It sure has been interesting.

Cheers, Todd

Todd, I like your candid review. It's good to call things for what they are instead of hype.

IC has grown on me over time and I think I'll replace my puck. That says A LOT for me. It simply agrees with my skin. There is something special about the mango oil bit. And that funky smell.

TFS. Good for me too. It's hard not to love the neroli especially, but sadly I've fallen out of love. Too thin. Maybe it's a seasonal thing? Mine is going to the back of the shelf for a while. I went back to the the croaps completely for fragrance strength anyway.

Mikes and Mystic will ruin a guy.

Thank you Petr. I try to be fair in my reviews. It does no one any good to over-hype a product because it is a personal favourite. Conversely it is in poorer form yet to downgrade a product because it is not a favourite. I really hoped TFS hard soaps would be one of those sleeper products that performed all out of proportion to its cost. It does not do that but is more than decent particularly at its price point.

I would ask you to clarify one point of interest. When you say you stay with the croaps for scent strength are you speaking generically or specifically to the TFS soft soaps with intenso scents?

Cheers, Todd

I haven't tried the TFS but I do have and use in regular rotation both of the I Coloniali, the soft puck and the tube and I simply love them both, from the scent to how well they both perform. I've just began to use distilled water in making lather and they have only gotten better. The lather really does explode. Sadly I can't make up my mind which one I like more so I will end up replacing both when needed :) Chris

Top Bottom