What's new

How to soften the hair without a shower?

So, here is a question among the weird ones. I always found that taking a long insanely hot shower gives me an excellent
shave straight after, the hair is soft and I suppose much easier to cut.

So here is my question, is there an appliance that one can use to hang on the face to soften up the hair?
Like a plastic mask filled with hot water just for the lower part of the face.
I don’t like having a hot towel around my face looking like a mummy or showering for 1 hour in scolding hot water.

If not It’s a Kickstarter for sure.

Human hair absorbs water. It’s either wet or it’s not wet. It can’t get any wetter. The instant your hair touches water it’s wet. It’s the skin you really want to treat. You don’t want to shave first thing in the morning when your skin is loose and slack...thus the shower or morning face scrub. Face lathering with a stiff brush also stimulates the skin. I prefer a vigorous scrub in the shower and then only need a soft brush.

Human hair absorbs water. It’s either wet or it’s not wet. It can’t get any wetter. The instant your hair touches water it’s wet. It’s the skin you really want to treat. You don’t want to shave first thing in the morning when your skin is loose and slack...thus the shower or morning face scrub. Face lathering with a stiff brush also stimulates the skin. I prefer a vigorous scrub in the shower and then only need a soft brush.

I agree the face is either wet or not wet. That is not really the issue, warm water or steam softens the hair making it more easy to cut. Now the question is, is it the water or the warmth that softens the hair or both in combination.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have never found that it makes any difference, shower or no shower. Sometimes I face lather straight onto my dry face and it makes no difference that I can tell. I prefer really cold water for shaving but again, hot or cold, it matters not; maybe I am just easily pleased. 😁

For some folks taking a shower before shaving isn't that important, while others no only have to take a shower, but also use pre shave oils/creams etc. A friend of mine can shave without taking a shower or even using any lubricant on his face. I rarely shave without taking a shower and I always wash my face with shampoo and splash with cold water and sometimes I use Arko as a pre shave or to clean my face.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I know ow I'm very new to wet shaving but I found this stuff really im in a rush
20210216_104211.jpg

For some folks taking a shower before shaving isn't that important, while others no only have to take a shower, but also use pre shave oils/creams etc. A friend of mine can shave without taking a shower or even using any lubricant on his face. I rarely shave without taking a shower and I always wash my face with shampoo and splash with cold water and sometimes I use Arko as a pre shave or to clean my face.

I wonder if this is due to the different properties of peoples hairs? Personally I have to live in the shower for 30min plus with really hot water to achieve a great shave, and by great I mean like a wow that was so nice shave. I can splash on water and creams and everything and it gives me a good shave, but far from great. I do have the tools and technique so It’s not down to that (Badger brush, Fatboy, Personnas, correct angle yada yada).

You could splash your face over the course of several minutes, or apply a damp warm/hot cloth to your hair. For me, it's easier to just take a shower.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I normally shower and keep my face wet the entire time. On the few occasions I don't shower I generally use a washcloth. Wet it as hot as I can stand and hold it over my lower face. It drips, so I have to stay over the sink, and it only stays hot for a fairly short time, so I have restart the process a couple of times a minute.

But every face/beard is different. Some people need more than that. Some use pre-shave. One shaver lathers up his face an leaves it there 10 minutes, washes it off and then starts the shaving process. Some don't do any prep at all.

Your great shave might not be the same level of "great" as another shaver, so you want to experiment. If 4 minutes works for you, what happens when you cut it to 3?

Whatever works for you is good.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I remember my fathers barber using the back of his hand to apply lather. He massaged in a thin layer, really working it and agitating the stubble. I do this with excess soap on the puck, then some water and then the brush adds to that slick base. I’m happy with the results.

My best shaves were after a shower. I think splashing some water on your face doesn't do much. It probably takes a good minute or two of soaking for the hairs to absorb enough water so they cut easier. The best thing to do in lieu of a shower is take a towel and run it under hot water and soak it. remove some of the water so its not dripping and wrap your face in it for a couple minutes. I'm not doing all that so i'm showering, instead. But if a few splashes works for you, then keep doing it.

If I don't shower, (along with a hot towel), I'll apply pre-shave or even lather up with some Barbasol and let it sit for a bit. Never had any issues.

You can even take some wet fingers and rub it on your soap puck and really work it in with your fingers. There are many ways to go about doing things.

...So here is my question, is there an appliance that one can use to hang on the face to soften up the hair?
Like a plastic mask filled with hot water just for the lower part of the face.
I don’t like having a hot towel around my face looking like a mummy or showering for 1 hour in scolding hot water...
In a way, there is something that will do what you want, but it's not an appliance. It's pre-shave soap. For instance, the PAA Cube is a good one.

First, wash the face with the pre-shave soap and rinse off. Then, wet the face, rub more pre-shave soap into the whiskers against the grain, use your wet brush to work it in. Then, just leave it for a couple of minutes while you do something else. The soap will help hydrate the whiskers and provides some extra slickness. When ready to shave, just lather over the layer of pre-shave soap, then shave as usual.

My tap water is very hot. I use a face flannel, soaked in the hot water and then wrapped around my face. I do this twice and then apply just two drops of Floid shaving oil onto my wet hands and rub into my face - then lather. I notice no difference in results whether I shave before or after my shower - always excellent.

As wonderful as it would be, I have no time for hot towels and all of that. So, an the rare occasion that I need a shave and don't take a shower directly beforehand I'll wash my face over the sink with some soap and hot water before my shave. Not as good as the shower for the preshave, but certainly better than nothing.

Top Bottom