What's new

How to replace knot?

Hello!

I've got a Manchurian 2-band badger brush knot on the way. How can I take out the old one?

I've read about the steam method but I wonder if heating it with a hair dryer would weaken the glue as well?

I've two different times to steam nuts out and I decided they were put in with a lot of glue.
The handles both became soft steamed at a very low temp for 30 -50 min or so, attempting two or three times to pull it out.
I could clearly see the resin handle was going to deform it was so soft and pliable in my hand so I stopped.
Cut the knot use the Dremel to clean the hole. I'm done trying that unless that I put in with a little bit of silicone and then I'm sure it would work.

If you are looking for a shortcut there probably isn't one. Steam isn't reliable. Move up to the pinned area of this sub-forum and see the tutorials there.

An overview is to cut the knot off as close the handle as possible. Use a knife, razor blade, scissors, or whatever it takes. Then using a small drill bit (maybe an 1/8") and drill into the base of the knot from the top down and stop drilling when you hit the floor of the hole below the glue disc at the bottom of the knot. Don't go deeper than that. It is better to be shallow. You can see a color change when you hit the handle. Expect it to be about 10 mm to 15 mm from the lop. Make swiss cheese out of the remainder of the knot. When drilled enough you can break out most of the remainder with a pick, screwdriver, or whatever it takes to break it up. Even long nose pliers sometimes helps. If necessary clean out the rest with a Dremel drum sander for the sides and disc sander for the floor.

Be aware that often you need to use the drum sander to gently enlarge the hoe to make the new knot fit.

Good luck. Do check out the tutorials.

I've two different times to steam nuts out and I decided they were put in with a lot of glue.
The handles both became soft steamed at a very low temp for 30 -50 min or so, attempting two or three times to pull it out.
I could clearly see the resin handle was going to deform it was so soft and pliable in my hand so I stopped.
Cut the knot use the Dremel to clean the hole. I'm done trying that unless that I put in with a little bit of silicone and then I'm sure it would work.
This was voice to text, knots not nuts and whatever other silly words are mixed in.

Legion

Staff member
Usually, after cutting the bristles off at the handle, you can start pulling out clumps of hair with some needle nose pliers. Start in the middle and work your way to the outside. Once you get some hair out of the middle, and the rest of the knot is not so tightly packed, the job becomes easier.

Top Bottom