What's new

How to polish an old handle

So I picked up a really nice Ready Made brush. It needs a new knot. That's not the problem. What are the secrets to making it look like new? Thanks.

All depends on the condition. If it's heavily scratched, scuffed, and stained, then it'll probably need to be sanded down first. I use progressive grades of wet-dry sand paper...starting with 400-500 grit and moving up to 1500 or so. Once the uglies are removed, then I use a plastic polish...the type sold at auto parts stores for refinishing scratched and clouded plastic headlight covers. If it's in decent shape to start with, just the plastic polish should suffice.

All depends on the condition. If it's heavily scratched, scuffed, and stained, then it'll probably need to be sanded down first. I use progressive grades of wet-dry sand paper...starting with 400-500 grit and moving up to 1500 or so. Once the uglies are removed, then I use a plastic polish...the type sold at auto parts stores for refinishing scratched and clouded plastic headlight covers. If it's in decent shape to start with, just the plastic polish should suffice.

+1, sometimes I get lucky and can mount them on my lathe and polish them out

You can also bust out your dremel with some jeweler's rouge like you might to restore an old razor. There is a tutorial that you can find here in the straight razor forum. Just keep the RPM's low and go slow and you should have no problem.

Top Bottom