What's new

How to mill any soap into a container (food processor version) ~ Photo Tutorial

The tools you will need - food processor (and permission to use it), soap, knife/cutting board (to coarsely chop the soap), soap bowl(s), wax paper (or parchment paper), espresso tamper (or other tamping device).

Note: this is just the food processor version of Jim's: How to Mill any soap into a container ~ Photo Tutorial

Has anyone been able to do this using a coffee grinder?
I was at the Goodwill over the weekend, and didn't see any processors, but came across 2 grinders I thought might suffice.
Not sure if the cutter would be adequate as it tends to smash the hard beans, rather than slice...

I don't think a coffee grinder will tolerate that well. coffee grinders = low torque, high speed blades for shattering beans. Food processors = higher torque, lower speed. The coffee grinder would probably blow up or melt the soap with the really high speeds.
But I'd like to know how it actually works out.

Erasmic stick turns to dust, doesn't it? The stick I had was non-tallow and was very brittle. When I grated mine, it looked like Parmesan cheese and performed as well!

Erasmic stick turns to dust, doesn't it? The stick I had was non-tallow and was very brittle. When I grated mine, it looked like Parmesan cheese and performed as well!

Those were old tallow sticks and they were DRY as a bone.

I am new to the brush shaving science so what I did may be blasphemous.

My usual washing/showering soap is Irish Spring. I like the odour and the fact that it dissipates quickly. It makes a good lather quickly.

I saved the ends of the soap bars in an open jar so they would get good and dry.
Put them through the blender until I thought they were ground fine enough. About this big "O".
Poured them into an old coffee mug along with an ounce of water. The mug was a little over half full. Stirred the mixture and tamped them down
I then microwaved for 30 seconds and tamped them down with the handle of an unloved shaving brush.
Another 30 seconds in the microwave and more tamping
Once more into the microwave and tamped.
I then let it sit for a week to dry out.
It is the equal of and better than most shaving soaps and creams I have tried.
It lathers quickly forming a thick rich lather that lasts on the face.

The blender cleaned out easily with just a hot water rinse.
:drool:

Last edited:
Brush full of lather picture of said magic soap please?

I am new to the brush shaving science so what I did may be blasphemous.

My usual washing/showering soap is Irish Spring. I like the odour and the fact that it dissipates quickly. It makes a good lather quickly.

I saved the ends of the soap bars in an open jar so they would get good and dry.
Put them through the blender until I thought they were ground fine enough. About this big "O".
Poured them into an old coffee mug along with an ounce of water. The mug was a little over half full. Stirred the mixture and tamped them down
I then microwaved for 30 seconds and tamped them down with the handle of an unloved shaving brush.
Another 30 seconds in the microwave and more tamping
Once more into the microwave and tamped.
I then let it sit for a week to dry out.
It is the equal of and better than most shaving soaps and creams I have tried.
It lathers quickly forming a thick rich lather that lasts on the face.

The blender cleaned out easily with just a hot water rinse.
:drool:

Is there not a whole topic about adding colognes and scents to Williams soap and letting it "brew" until it dries out?

Top Bottom