What's new

How to mask witch hazel smell?

I have my own mix of Nivea AS Sensitive Post Shave Balm (no smell, no alchohol), with a little glycerin, and witch hazel. I love how the "mix" feels on my face after a shave - it is great, except it smells a little too strong to witch hazel.

I would like to add "something" to mask the smell of the witch hazel and give it a more pleasant aroma, like Lavender, or Mentol, or something similar.

It is as simple as adding a few drops of Lavender Oil, or Pepermint Oil such as these ones:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OXEFK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ELVHIE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A1WPZCVZZBOGCN

Or is it more complicated than that?

Will

You could add the EO's but they tend to separate out so make sure you shake vigorously before applying. Personally I got used to the WH smell and it doesn't bother me anymore and it fades rather quickly.

I can still smell it in my hands even an hour later - faint, but the smell is still there.

I think I will try the scenter Nivea next time :biggrin1:

Thanks guys,
Will

Someone here referred to WH as smelling like a wet campfire and since I read that I now even enjoy the smell. Try to picture the great outdoors next time.

Last edited:
I mix WG, glycerin and aloe vera to make my own balm. To scent it I used a few drops of Lime EO. I'm sure any EO you like would do equally well.

Have you tried Thayers?

My original Witch Hazel was from Sally Beauty Supply and it was pretty nasty smelling, my Thayers doesn't smell like the first stuff I bought at all.

I mix WG, glycerin and aloe vera to make my own balm. To scent it I used a few drops of Lime EO. I'm sure any EO you like would do equally well.
I think I might still try the EO idea - can't hurt to try, right?

Have you tried Thayers?

My original Witch Hazel was from Sally Beauty Supply and it was pretty nasty smelling, my Thayers doesn't smell like the first stuff I bought at all.
Not yet, but I have a bottle on order to try out as well.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I add a small amount of alcohol to the a few drops each of mandarin and mint EO to dissolve it a bit and then add it to my WH. It seems to help keep the oil in suspension a bit more, but I still need to shake a bit before applying. Those 2 oils completely covers the smell.

For me, the smell is always very faint and fades quickly. I usually splash witch hazel and then follow it with an AS of my choice.

I use TN Dickinson's Witch Hazel from CVS. I like it and don't worry about the smell anymore. I apply AS or ASB after using it.

Reactions: bjm
i mix witch hazel with a few drops of lemon essential oil and some olive oil and lemon juice, leave it a few days and it then smells of lemon. the lemon juice makes it sting a little but it feels nice and refreshing and its meant to be good for lightening the skin, olive oil also smells nice and is great for the skin. i might try adding glycerin and aloe vera sometime. i then use nivea aftershave balm afterwards, not mixed in.
i noticed that putting too much essential oil (more than about ten drops to 100ml) actually smelled worse, too strong and not lemony. also that i have to shake it up before using.

Here's what I do. I use Dickenson's and don't like the smell, either. I pour some into a 4oz squeeze bottle (this is just how I'm dispensing it - you can just alter this for the large bottle if you like). I add one drop of lemongrass essential oil and one drop of lime essential oil to the 4oz of witch hazel. Shake before each use. Over the days, it smells better and better.

Adding too much will make it oily. Those two drops seem complimentary and just enough to cover the smell. I use the Acacia essential oils from Whole Foods.

Top Bottom