What's new

How to make scales?

How limited is your tool selection?

I live in apartment so no power tools (except a jigsaw, which I haven't used for scales). I've made a couple of sets using just a Stanley knife, small coping saw, a junior hacksaw and hand sanded. It takes a lot longer (than thirdeye's laser:001_smile) but it's very satisfying!

Your choice of material will also affect your tool selection. Acrylic can be scored with a craft knife or cut fairly easily with a hacksaw.

I have larger power tools (i.e. table saw, angle grinder, miter saw, drill, dremmel, router). Could any of those be used to shape the material(s)?

After you do your rough cut with a coping saw, you could use the sanding drums on the dremel.

After that it is hand sanding smooth(also make sure you round the edges)

I have larger power tools (i.e. table saw, angle grinder, miter saw, drill, dremmel, router). Could any of those be used to shape the material(s)?

To clean up my blades I will hand sand and then tumble them. As far as scales go, I have only woked with acrylic, and i do everhting with just a dremel. then i hand sand the scales edges to clean them up.

To clean up my blades I will hand sand and then tumble them. As far as scales go, I have only woked with acrylic, and i do everhting with just a dremel. then i hand sand the scales edges to clean them up.

Thanks for the advice Nerdman. BTW that W&B you did looks fantastic! :w00t:

Thanks for the advice Nerdman. BTW that W&B you did looks fantastic! :w00t:

Thank you! :thumbup1:

I plan on doing a little "How I make Scales" thread soon. Ive had 3 chances at making the thread, but I get to caught up making the scales that i forget to take pics. lol.

Here is some other info that may help you out.

What you can do is, go to home depot or lowes or a glass shop in your area, and get some acrylic, lexan, or plexiglass 1/8 in thick. then just draw your design and stick it on the plexiglass. Then take a dremel with a cuting wheel and cut right around your drawing. Then use a grinding stone attachement to get closer to your outline, then finally after your shape is cut, take a sanding drum attachement and sand it down right to your outline. then Take 220 and sand the edge down, then i do 320, 400, 600, etc. that will give you a smooth edge.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but the wade and butcher i just finished, literally took me no more than 2 hours time from start to finish on the scales. I am no expert, not even close, but thats just what works for me man. I make do with what i got. And i only do it for myself, so my good ol dremel works just right. If i did a lot more of them i would for sure invest in some nice equipment like the other Gentleman here have that do some fabulous work!:thumbup1:

It seems you have alot of good tools to do some nice work. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom