What's new

How to load brush from small container

A seemingly simple question. How can I load the brush from a small container (2.5 inches) without making a mess? Judging by the looks, my badger brush has at least the same size when bloomed.

Scoop some out and lather in a bowl.
I actually have an empty container that has the right size. I saved it when I finished the soap. I could just transfer the soap into that, but I was hoping there is a trick to use the original container.

I actually have an empty container that has the right size. I saved it when I finished the soap. I could just transfer the soap into that, but I was hoping there is a trick to use the original container.

It is usually possible to load the brush "sideways". In other words, turn the brush so the side of the bristles faces the top of the soap and pick up soap by "rolling" the brush on the soap and moving it back and forth over the soap at the same time.

If you have a hard soap, just take the soap out of the container and hold it in one hand, while loading the brush with the other hand. Put the soap back in the container for storage.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For me, bowl lathering is so much less messy. That said, we all have our preferences. I always scoop, smear the soap/cream thin in the bottom of my lathering bowl and proceed to make the lather. I don't like soap in the threads of the soap containers so lathering from them doesn't interest me. A bowl is easy to clean... you need somewhere to put your brush in between passes anyway... It's just more simple for me. I know this goes without saying... but I feel that obligation so people know I'm not being dogmatic: YMMV. <Eg>

For me, bowl lathering is so much less messy. That said, we all have our preferences. I always scoop, smear the soap/cream thin in the bottom of my lathering bowl and proceed to make the lather. I don't like soap in the threads of the soap containers so lathering from them doesn't interest me. A bowl is easy to clean... you need somewhere to put your brush in between passes anyway... It's just more simple for me. I know this goes without saying... but I feel that obligation so people know I'm not being dogmatic: YMMV. <Eg>

Dogs or not, you are correct.

Proraso containers are quite small
After blooming, loading the brush is quite simle for me, I use Simpson T3, and then I face lather.
Or you can just use small spoon and scoop bloomed soap in bowl

I face lather for 99.9% of my shaves. I started wet shaving with a Proraso Omega and Proraso Green soap. For some reason my next brushes seemed to grow in size with a 30 mm OUMO Exceed Vitality to top it off.
I got myself a 22 mm YAQI Sagrada Familia 2 band badger the other day to see what badger is all about without braking the bank. I was surprised how well the brush worked, especially the face lathering is way less messy, both loading and lathering. I believe in general synthetic brushes are way more messy than natural hair, be it boar or badger. Synths don't hold on to the lather as well as natural hair and lather –in my case at least- tends to fly all over the place...

1661589563088.png

Whenever I load from a hard puck in a small tub, I use my 22mm best badger. When using softer soaps, I scoop out a Dollop and place it in my bowl and use a larger brush. I'm still fairly messy, but oh well, cleanup is part of the process. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom