What's new

How to load a sample?

Just received an order of sample soaps and creams and they are all in little sample pots (pictured with a razor blade pack for reference).

What's the best way to load these for shaving (I bowl lather with a synthetic normal)? I'm assuming for cream just scoop a small amount out, but not sure about the soaps?
Screenshot_20200529-162653_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200529-162638_Gallery.jpg

1590771477839.jpeg
I purchased mine on AliExpress, long time for delivery. Definitely worth the wait it works fantastic. Slow feed dog bowl. I face lather and leave it collapsed for soap loading. I don’t shave often so now samples are a terrific way to go.

Attachments

• B93EF6D0-B01E-47FF-A3C5-7A5860209BBC.jpeg
    B93EF6D0-B01E-47FF-A3C5-7A5860209BBC.jpeg
    828.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Get a little into a bowl or depending on how creamy it is, put it straight on the brush. And work away. Subjective too if its a hard dry soap like MWF.

Press into a bowl as others have said. Don’t scrimp, put plenty of soap in the bowl. Otherwise, you won’t get a true feel for how the soap is.

Just received an order of sample soaps and creams and they are all in little sample pots (pictured with a razor blade pack for reference).

What's the best way to load these for shaving (I bowl lather with a synthetic normal)? I'm assuming for cream just scoop a small amount out, but not sure about the soaps?
View attachment 1106513
View attachment 1106514
I love samples!! For samples, I have a clay modeling gouge tool that I bought from Hobby Lobby (who ALWAYS has a 40% off coupon). I dig out about 1/2 - 3/4 almond size sample, press that into my bowl (enough to stick to the bowl, but with lumpy's), and whip up some lather for that shave. I learned this technique while participating in the awesome Soap Passaround.

Box3_Shave3_KlarKabinett.jpg

Press into a bowl as others have said. Don’t scrimp, put plenty of soap in the bowl. Otherwise, you won’t get a true feel for how the soap is.

+1.
I'd recomment to extract the whole amount of the sample from the container into a bowl. Each of the samples should last for +- 5 shaves.
Whilst using up the soap you can make your mind if the soap works for you or not (provided you enjoy the scent).

I keep a dedicated "loading bowl" around for this purpose. Just extract the entire sample with a plastic knife and pack it into the bottom of the loading bowl. Now, you can load the soap very easily for several shaves until it has been used up.
loading-bowl-1.jpg

Looking at all the replies, the triple milled soap is not easy to compress into another receptacle. It would just swirl round in the bottom so how do you load it?
I am intrigued now.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Looking at all the replies, the triple milled soap is not easy to compress into another receptacle. It would just swirl round in the bottom so how do you load it?
I am intrigued now.

I soak them in water for several hours till they're malleable, mould them, then let it dry back to near received condition before using it.

I am intrigued now.
I put the sample in a cheese grater and then put the contents in a bowl. If the sample is very small I take a demitasse spool or a small knife to scoop it out and use it as a shave stick.

I put the sample in a cheese grater and then put the contents in a bowl. If the sample is very small I take a demitasse spoon or a small knife to scoop it out and use it as a shave stick.
Thanks, that is another solution, post #16 suggested a soak and dry process.
It did occur to me that you could rub the sample into the stubble and face lather but I am not sure if triple milled soaps would release that easily. Normally I would bloom a hard soap before loading the brush on the puck but samples are too small for that.

I am intrigued now.
If you soak the soap for a couple of minutes it will usually stick to the bottom of the bowl when pressed in. Grating will work, but the amount of soap is pretty small in a sample.

Top Bottom