What's new

How To: Late Fatboy and Slim disassembly

I just successfully used this method on a short handle super adjustable...for all those nay-sayers that said it couldn't be done, you, good sirs, I respectfully decree, are wrong!

When I received my SHSA, it was froze up, nothing but the adjustment knob turned, so it was useless, and figured I'd give it a shot, can't lose anything, after all. Finally got it apart, gave it a good cleaning, soaked the TTO knob/handle assembly in simple green, then put a couple of drops of dish washing liquid on the handle, some pliers, and eventually it turned a little, kept twisting for about 5 minutes and it finally started to turn by hand, though still not freely. another 5 minutes and it was perfect.
Reassembly went well, crimping the connector back was the most difficult part, but now I have a usable, very clean and smooth action, short handle adjustable - though I did muck up the finish, some black paint should take care of that. Again, it was either great finish on an unusable razor, or scratches on a great razor.

So yes, the super adjustable is disassembleable (is that a word?:huh:)

I tried it several times.. even different sized sockets.. Its not working.. at all:mad:

thenastynati, same here! I was tryin heaps to be gentle but you know once your reaching for a large hammer to "tap" the socket something just isnt right!

Obviously this method does work, so I'm just putting it down to myself!

Really a great post, thanks.
I've just gotten two slim's that both need some TLC and both are with the crimped end cap, this just saved my day :biggrin:

CAREFUL!!! This will also compress the internal spring and when you remove the socket the end cap and spring can go flying.

Forgot that, just spent five minutes on the floor looking for that darned end cap :blushing:
I think I'll remember next time - maybe...:rolleyes:

I tried it several times.. even different sized sockets.. Its not working.. at all:mad:

Yeah the tapping method did not work for me so I hit it like starting a nail...
Worked perfectly.

The adjusment was stuck as well so I took a wash cloth and some locking plyers and GENTLY locked them on the adjuster turned the head and viola unstuck.

Great post!

Fat Boy's and Slim's with crimped end caps was a matter of concern for dis assembly for a long time .

You totorial has put an end to this problem and the effot is commendable.

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

The TTO knob on the bottom of the handle should be press fit in. You should be able to pop it out using the normal fatboy dissection instructions. I have some fatboy handle parts lying around if you need.

Will you have a Fat Boy silo doors with the rod to spare. Only the rod without the doors will do fine I desperately need one for my Fatty with a broken rod.

Thanks again

Last edited:
I have discovered that a socket is unnecessary if you have one of these.
proxy.php

It is just the right size.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU! It's so simple. I had a little trouble getting the end cap back on but nothing major. The spent brass casing is pretty convenient.

Thanks for the info. It seams that every Slim I own has an unequal blade gap between the 2 sides, whats the best way to fix that issue?

I have discovered that a socket is unnecessary if you have one of these.
proxy.php

It is just the right size.

That worked like a charm, Amish! At least it did on one of my slims. I used the side with the shoulder. I think if I tried this on one of my fatboys (which I haven't yet) it seems like the other end would be perfect. Thanks! Oh, in case anyone is wondering what that is, it's the neck portion of an Old Type razor. There is a plentiful supply of those around, it seems.

Thanks for the info. It seams that every Slim I own has an unequal blade gap between the 2 sides, whats the best way to fix that issue?

Externally, by gently tweaking the bent parts back into alignment. Taking the razor apart will not help.

If the safety bar is bent, it can be adjusted using a small screwdriver as a lever. A set of feeler gauges will help ensure both sides are equal.

Top Bottom