What's new

How to Hone Wilkinson Blades

I have two sets of Wilkinson Sword Empire sets.
One is a 7 day set with a full set of blades.
The other one did not come with blades.
Fortunately for me the blades will work in either razor.
However the blades need sharpening.
I have been asking around to find out about honing these blades.
Some have said that they can not be honed.
At the time that the sets came out, Wilkinson was making replacement blades for them instead of honing.
I have honed my Rolls Razor blade by putting some electrical tape on the spine.
That turned out ok.
I was thinking about doing the same with these but I don't want to ruin the blade.
I'm not a honing master for sure.
The cost of sending them to a professional honer is out of my reach even if I could find one.
So the question is, has anyone had success in honing these blades etc.?
Ron

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yes indeed. I don't use tape but since the blade is no longer usable after losing a certain amount of width anyway, doesn't really hurt anything. The thing is, you also would have to tape for stropping. You don't want to hone outside the case and then strop using the case mechanism. Guys do it but I don't think it is the best practice.

Hi Ron-

The blades CAN be honed. You need two layers of tape to correct the bevel angle. Then it's pretty much like honing any hollow ground straight razor. The edge will likely have microchips that need to be honed out for a smooth shave.

I wouldn't worry about running your blade as long as you don't grind on it for hours. The sharpness tests are the same as a straight.

I would be glad to hone a couple up for you if you like just send them to me no charge just postage both ways (about $6) you can fit several in the envelope :)

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes indeed. I don't use tape but since the blade is no longer usable after losing a certain amount of width anyway, doesn't really hurt anything. The thing is, you also would have to tape for stropping. You don't want to hone outside the case and then strop using the case mechanism. Guys do it but I don't think it is the best practice.

With the blade being so narrow layers of tape have a big influence on the size of the bevel and bevel angle. I agree that stropping on the OEM strop method is probably not a good idea- while the blade is out you can strop it on a balsa strop or leather paddle/table strop. Works for me. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
True that tape changes the immediate bevel angle quite a bit, but the cumulative effect is not an issue since losing just 1/16” of blade width pretty much takes that blade out of play anyway.

I don't recall ever measuring one but I think the native bevel angle from honing flat looks just under 16 degrees and when I hone them without tape they shave with vigor and ferocity, just the way I like. It is a much much different shave than a case honed blade!

I would be glad to hone a couple up for you if you like just send them to me no charge just postage both ways (about $6) you can fit several in the envelope :)

Owen, great offer. Beware though, if people find out you are willing and able you may become popular.

Sharpening wedge ( dangerous) blades for Single Edge Razor.
Video on Russian language.
But the main process.
It is possible to watch without sound

Top Bottom